Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feyh1961 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 07:10 PM
    House AC unit is blowing cold air but not very much
    My house AC unit is blowing cold air but not much air is coming out of the vents. It will shut off and on at the thermostat. I believe from hearing some history that the coil can freeze up. Does this sound like the case and if it is, what can I do to fix it myself? Most importantly, what causes this problem to begin with? Thanks to all.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 07:38 PM

The first thing that you can do yourself is to check the filter, if it is the least bit dirty replace it.

Freezing over on the coil can be caused by several things, the most common is a dirty filter, but anything that reduces the air flow over the coil will cause it to freeze over.

About the only time it is not caused by low air flow is when your freon level is low.

If you find a dirty filter and change it, this might now solve you problem because as the filter gets dirty the dust, dirt, pet hair, dead skin cells will bypass the filter and go up to the coil and since the coil is moist from condensation it will stick to the coil and then cause the same results as a dirty filter.

Cleaning a coil is not an easy job, you have to take out screws and take the cover off the front of the coil and depending what kind of coil you have you may have to remove more screws and another plate to expose the bottom of the coil where the dirt and stuff will be.

If you need more information let me know and if my answer helped you please rate my answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to repair ac unit when its not blowing out cold air? [ 2 Answers ]

My air conditioning unit is blowing air but its not cold air what do I do to fix this problem?

Trane gas unit blowing cold air [ 4 Answers ]

I have a trane gas furnace. When I turn it on it blows cold air. I opened the panel and saw that its not lighting. Thanks for any imformation.

Arcoair unit / heatpump blowing cold [ 1 Answers ]

The unit is an arcoair not sure how old it is, it was here when we bought the house 5 yrs ago. We had fan replaced last year and this year it seems to be blowing cold air for longer than usual. The thermostat is set at 72 the temp is dropping to around 63 while the unit is running and it is blowing...

Heater unit blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

My central heat/air system Bryant Heater CU5830C175 only blows cold air. If the pilot light is out, how do I turn it on? Thank you.

Heating unit blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know why my unit is blowing cold air when it is set on HEAT?:confused:

View more questions Search