Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakescomputer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Can you install windows xp from one computer to another with out disk
    I have a copy of windows xp but it got cracked and they will not give me another they say I have to buy another one and there is no way in h I can afford it can you take one computer with xp pro on it fully working and healthy but the other computer I completely formatted before I realized it was cracked and it says files missing every time I try to load it so it is formatted is it possible to install xp pro from one computer to another or maybe make the hard drive that is wiped clean a slave and put it into the other computer and install it some way like that I really need anyone's help please
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 06:31 PM
    In keeping with the terms of service of this forum, the only answer you will receive is "no" from both a legal licensing (it's illegal) standpoint as well as lacking the necessary installation files. The installation files reside in an i386 folder on the original installation CD. Sometimes this folder is copied to the hard drive by the system vendor to facilitate installation. Additionally, XP's setup process will request the product key that is attached to legitimate OEM computers with a Certificate of Authenticity sticker. Once installed, non-volume licensed XP installations also require activation which validates the product key.

One alternative that can sometimes be achieved for cheap with some effort is to procure a full retail copy of Windows 95/98/ME with a used system or by scouring the Internet and then buying just the retail XP upgrade version. I've also noticed that Ubuntu Linux yields a quite functional computer without all the hassle or cost.

Aug 10, 2009, 04:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    In keeping with the terms of service of this forum, the only answer you will receive is "no" from both a legal licensing (it's illegal) standpoint as well as lacking the necessary installation files. The installation files reside in an i386 folder on the original installation CD. Sometimes this folder is copied to the hard drive by the system vendor to facilitate installation. Additionally, XP's setup process will request the product key that is attached to legitimate OEM computers with a Certificate of Authenticity sticker. Once installed, non-volume licensed XP installations also require activation which validates the product key.

One alternative that can sometimes be achieved for cheap with some effort is to procure a full retail copy of Windows 95/98/ME with a used system or by scouring the Internet and then buying just the retail XP upgrade version. I've also noticed that Ubuntu Linux yields a quite functional computer without all the hassle or cost.
    Yes but see I have the orgnal copy of window that I bought and I have used it many time just to put a fresh copy of windows on my computers I have two computer and when I went to install the fresh copy there was a crack in my cd but windows Microsoft or what ever know me I have validated every time I have put a fresh copy of windows on my computer but I do not know what to do because there is no way I can afford another one I am broke and isn't no joke because of econmy and I have product key and everything so if it is not legal to put something here

Aug 10, 2009, 04:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post

This is jake again and also my hard drive is blank when I enter my windows xp disc it want even promt me to where it use to even after the crack in disk it would still go to where it was going to let me try to upload windows but now I turn my computer on and it has the blue screen with that one thing on it you know right when you turn a computer on and then it just goes to black screed with a little blinking thing at the top it was saying operating system not found but now it says nothing not even boot from cd and if it is the disk OK then how do I get or make a boot cd and please don't say diskette a:/ cause I can not even afford that thank you any one that can help me
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 04:22 AM
    You could create an image the computer with XP. Of course if the hardware is very different on the other computer then you will run into problems. Here is a list of free drive imaging programs: Best Free Drive Imaging Program
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 12:44 PM

Is this a store-bought XP or a restore XP disk that came with your computer? And what kind of computer and where did you get it? I know sometimes you can get a replacement copy from the place where you bought the thing or from the manufacturer of the computer. If you bought it off-the-shelf, that's a different matter. (Although it stinks if you can't get a replacement for a broken disk that you legitimately bought.)
    Hardware Expert

Aug 10, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakescomputer View Post
    ...there was a crack in my cd..
    By cracked, I thought you meant cracked as in hacked, a software crack. For a damaged CD, just borrow a similar OEM disk from somebody and install with your product key. A local computer store might also help you, or the system vendor as morgain300 suggested. All you need is the i386 folder from an undamaged CD. This folder can be copied to the hard drive and the installation run from there to expedite it, however without a bootable floppy disk or USB flash drive to start the computer so a copy can be done, booting from a working CD is the simplest course.

Also, if the disc is cracked, stop attempting to use it. It may explode in the drive and damage the drive.

Lastly, I'm a Microsoft OEM and have contacted Microsoft about availability of replacement media. Check back here in a day or two. I'll see what I can find out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2009, 04:52 PM

All versions of Windows are licensed for a SINGLE PC. Therefore you need a product key for each computer you install it on. Anything else is pirating the software.
    Hardware Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Jake, heard back from Microsoft:

As Scott indicated, both computers each need their own Certificates of Authenticity to be legally licensed.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Aug 17, 2009, 09:38 PM

Given that the computers are identical and that you have a copy of XP with a license that allows mutable installs. There are several programs that will create a disk image of an existing drive and then write it to anouther, Norton ghost is one suck program. The only legal use of this type of program for people with a single user license is to make a backup of your install a useful tool should something go wrong. In this case you would tweak out your computer them harvest the image. In the event of a failure you could restore back to the point the image was harvested, all more recent changes would need to be backed up elsewhere.

Software is a product legally copyrighted or patented by the publisher. You the user have the right to use the software with in the terms of the license agreement stipulated by the publisher. If you do not feel that you should have to pay for software or are attracted to free stuff check out one of the many open source Linux releases. Most are free and are excellent alternatives to closed source operating systems and applications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows no disk [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I insert usb or memory stick on my PC this error always poped out- Windows - no disk Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c.. when I click on continue, try again, or cancel, it'll poped out again again.. I scan my PC using...

Is it possible to re-install outlook wihout the original disk? [ 6 Answers ]

I had my computer built by a friend of mine, and I didn't get the original xp pro disk with it. Now my Outlook is totally messed up. The Sent messages folder disappeared,( but the folder is still there full of messages) and Every message I send gets a error, but the message does send through....

Install Disk [ 2 Answers ]

My Toshiba A15-S1292 has developed some serious issues. I can't close one of windows without all of them closing. I can't get online with wireless or anything else. I need to know if there anyplace to download the toshiba install disk from.

Windows 98 no recovery Disk [ 3 Answers ]

I was given a Compaq Presario 7470 that is messed up, it needs everything you could think of. When first turning it on it would reboot over and over. Finally I got passed that but now I am getting a invalid messege "Invalid Vxd dynamic link call from NTMAphlp(02)+00000002 to device "004F" My...

Windows 98 and 120 gig hard disk? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using Windows98se and want to get a 120 gig hard disk. Can anyone tell me what is the maximum size partition I can use with Windows 98se. I've heard that with large hard disks NTFS format is better/more effeicient. Is this so? And how much difference would it make. I'd rather not have to go to...

View more questions Search