Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sorensonmd Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 07:26 PM
    Skin Lightening for African Americans!
    Hello, I've been checking out the forums on skin whitening for african americans and I'm confused and really need help. I'm a very dark person due to being in the sun all day I'd like lighten up at least 3-4 shades. If anyone can assist me on some good information, or products to try it would be greatly appreciated.
    :confused:
    SanD
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 17, 2006, 07:50 PM
    There is something... everything beautiful about dark coco skin... exotic... free. If you are having a hate yourself moment get over it. Skin lightening is used for corrections of imperfection to the skin... skin lightening methods are use to help balance out the skin coloring not change it like Michael Jackson bless his heart. Skin Lightening are to even out your skin tone... the best advice will be to go to a dermatologist and ask for an African American dermatologist... for they would understand your dilemma and will address it... you read like your problem is a cultural thing... not a dark spot and a pimple problem...

Aug 17, 2006, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNAGODDESS
    There is something...everything beautiful about dark coco skin...exotic...free. If you are having a hate yourself moment get over it. skin lightening is used for corrections of imperfection to the skin... skin lightening methods are use to help balance out the skin coloring not change it like Micheal Jackson bless his heart. Skin Lightening are to even out your skin tone ...the best advice will be to go to a dermatologist and ask for an African American dermatologist... for they would understand your dilemma and will address it... you read like your problem is a cultural thing... not a dark spot and a pimple problem...
    Lunagoddess,
    Hello first of all. You didn't understand what I was asking. By your response that tells me you are a person that judges someone without knowing all the facts.

My question to you is are you African American? If you were you would not have answered the way you did. I'll get you a little insite on being a African American (maybe I'm wrong if so I apologize), we get darker in the sun, so our arms, faces and necks are darker than the other parts of our body which are always covered.

What most of us would like including myself is to be able to have an even tone. That was my question! Trying to be white is not what I wanted, but if others want that then cool.

Lunagoddess your right being dark is beautiful, but in my case I would really love to have my lighter complexion back.

Aug 18, 2006, 03:31 PM
    My flag goes up when I read 3-4 shades lighter from an African period ( my own personnel issues)... my husband is of mixed African American heritage... his friends who are white.. some close to ivory compare their tan to his.. he is the regulator if they are darker they got a terrific tan... as for products that work... but at a cost Euoko it is from Japan and the cost is 200.00... U.S. dollars... again,. what flew the flag 3-4 shades that will make you closer to bright skinned black... it is my understanding that brighter coloring within your community is a status symbol... I resist... no bonded servitude here... by the way... some blacks do use sun screen... something at SPF 15...
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Aug 19, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sorensonmd
    Lunagoddess,
    Hello first of all. You didn't understand what I was asking. By your responce that tells me you are a person that judges someone without knowing all the facts.
    My question to you is are you African American? If you were you would not have answered the way you did. I'll get you a little insite on being a African American (maybe I'm wrong if so I apologize), we get darker in the sun, so our arms, faces and necks are darker than the other parts of our body which are always covered.
    What most of us would like including myself is to be able to have an even tone. That was my question! Trying to be white is not what I wanted, but if others want that then cool.
    Lunagoddess your right being dark is beautiful, but in my case I would really love to have my lighter complexion back.
    I know how your feeling sorensonmd. When someone mentions "skin lightening" inevitably the name M.J. comes up.:rolleyes:
    As if the two (skin lightening and MJ) are one in the same.

What he did and what others like myself are trying to do is totally different. I just want a lighter/more even skin tone. I'm not trying to knock the black right off me and pass on white children as if they are biologically my own.

Anyway, the two product I'd recommend is the African Queen Beauty Cream. That's what I am using right now. I like trying out new products so I decided to try this one. But I did the sniff test and it does contain hydroquinone I am sure of it. Unlike others I don't mind using hydroquinone. I think the hype about it being so dangerous is just that hype. I have yet to hear of anyone dying from it.

Out of all the skin lightening ingredients and the one everyone is trying to stay away from it's the only one that is FDA Approved. Isn't that funny?

I saw results in 12 days(that's usually how long it takes for me to see results). My lightening is very even and it lightened up my stubborn forehead. This is a very strong Hq(hydroquinone) product.

And the best natural/hydroquinone free skin lightening cream
    By far is Fair and Flawless. This is the cream I usually use. And again lightening in 12 days. The strongest natural product that I know of.

I really need to use a body lightening product but dang summer is practically over with so forget it now. Lol

Aug 19, 2006, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNAGODDESS
    my flag goes up when I read 3-4 shades lighter from an African period ( my own personnel issues)...my husband is of mixed African American heritage...his friends who are white..some close to ivory compare their tan to his..he is the regulator if they are darker they got a terrific tan...as for products that work ...but at a cost Euoko it is from Japan and the cost is 200.00...U.S. dollars...again,... what flew the flag 3-4 shades that will make you closer to bright skinned black ...it is my understanding that brighter coloring within your community is a status symbol... I resist...no bonded servitude here... by the way ...some blacks do use sun screen ....something at SPF 15...

Lunagoddess, I do use sun screen as well, hey didn't mean to come off a smart *** or anything, it's just hard for other nationalities to understand that African Americans tan just like anyone else only thing is sometimes we don't get our original color back. But thanks for the incite will check that site out and read up on it. Have a blessed day!:cool:

Hey Nikkicute,

Thanks for undstanding girl, that is what I'm feeling too. Natual products are so much better, can you give me a little more information on the site you bought it from and where I can read more about it.

Thanks
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Aug 20, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Your welcome!!
    Your right about not getting our orignal color back.
    When we "tan" it stays. I don't like to tan.

I am not the same color I was when I was younger. I want to go back to that color and a little more.

Nothing wrong with that right?:p

Aug 24, 2006, 08:42 AM
    The problem is that you are use to hanging around people that do not understand that African coloring changes as the years advanced... it is called genetics... no one child keeps there youthful coloring... a child born with snow blonde hair doesn't keep it all their life... many of woman would love to keep that hair but the creator has another direction... talk to a dermatologist that has experience with the african skin it has special concerns and most importantly... I love the fact that aging is not so serious that it becomes a problem... most african have even coloring problems... normal and can be corrected... is their a Neiman's near go to the skin care department...
    Want2BFair Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Actually you could keep the skin color you were born with as long as you NEVER go out into the sun. Since this isn't possible, this is why we become 3-5 shades darker then when we were children...
    Simply Jane Posts: 44, Reputation: 4
    -

Apr 20, 2008, 09:01 PM
    3-4 shade lighter is not just to even the skin tone, this is to lighten the skin obviously.. and drastic skin lightening. Your info was not thorough when you post your message, you didn't mention that there are certain parts of your body that are really, really dark, therefore Lunagoddess answer based on what information you posted. I don't think Luna is being judgemental.

Quote Originally Posted by sorensonmd
    Lunagoddess,
    Hello first of all. You didn't understand what I was asking. By your responce that tells me you are a person that judges someone without knowing all the facts.

wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Apr 30, 2008, 09:06 AM
    If you decide to use skin lightening, make sure you use SPF with it. When I went to my dermatologist he said there would be very little to no change if you didn't use SPF to protect the parts of your skin you're trying to even out or bleach. I was using a perscription strength bleacher, but the work of bleaching, using SPF, then moisturizing, and constantly replenishing your SPF after, is too much for me.

As much as I'd like that caramel smooth skin, I can't stick to the proper regium, because that's what'll give you results. I've read too much skin bleachers with dangerous chemicals to trust something on my face. Even then, I hate spending money on things that may not work.
    Semetria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Would everyone stop judging! Please, I don't recall this girl's post being a prayer to god, and he's the only one who should be judging! Anyway, I went to my dermatologist and got a cream called Glytone, and I'm really happy with the way it works! But be careful, if you're not applying it evenly it can cause patchy (not permanet) results! And by the way a 3-4 shade change can happen in one summer if you are outdoors a lot! It doesn't mean she wants a drastic change, just that she wants her face to match the rest of her body again!
    Semetria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Would everyone stop judging! Please, I don't recall this girl's post being a prayer to god, and he's the only one who should be judging! Anyway, I went to my dermatologist and got a cream called Glytone, and I'm really happy with the way it works! But be careful, if you're not applying it evenly it can cause patchy (not permanet) results! And by the way a 3-4 shade change can happen in one summer if you are outdoors a lot! It doesn't mean she wants a drastic change, just that she wants her face to match the rest of her body again!
    removeblemish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 11:33 AM
    In the early 1970s I used a cream called white velvet to remove blemishes around my lips, upper lip and chin . It worked very well. I want to find this cream. Do you know where I can get it now?

The direction was to put a thick layer of cream on my face, wait for 5 minutes and whip it out with a paper towel. The label said, New York, London , and Paris. It came in a white container with pink top.

Thank you
    Sue
    chocobrownie Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 12:48 PM
    [QUOTE=nikkicute;155117]I know how your feeling sorensonmd. When someone mentions "skin lightening" inevitably the name M.J. comes up.:rolleyes:
    As if the two (skin lightening and MJ) are one in the same.

What he did and what others like myself are trying to do is totally different. I just want a lighter/more even skin tone. I'm not trying to knock the black right off me and pass on white children as if they are biologically my own.

Anyway, the two product I'd recommend is the African Queen Beauty Cream. That's what I am using right now. I like trying out new products so I decided to try this one. But I did the sniff test and it does contain hydroquinone I am sure of it. Unlike others I don't mind using hydroquinone. I think the hype about it being so dangerous is just that hype. I have yet to hear of anyone dying from it.

Out of all the skin lightening ingredients and the one everyone is trying to stay away from it's the only one that is FDA Approved. Isn't that funny?

I saw results in 12 days(that's usually how long it takes for me to see results). My lightening is very even and it lightened up my stubbo

And the best natural/hydroquinone free skin lightening cream
    By far is Fair and Flawless. This is the cream I usually use. And again lightening in 12 days. The strongest natural product that I know of.
    mrbilingual Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 05:18 PM
    I asked this same question and got the same response. Many insecure folk assume that we are insecure and hate ourselves for wanting to be one tone. In other words, we need to stay two tones just to please them. I too worked for over five years in the unforgiving sun of San Antonio, Texas. As a result, my face and neck turned four shades darker. I do not know what to do or buy. I do not trust creams because I am a male, and we need stronger formulas. I hate looking at my body with no clothes on, for I cannot see my face when I stand eight feet from the mirror. I need serious help. For all of you that want to run a mile a minute and bring up Michael Jackson and wanting to look white, spare me the details!
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Please don't try African Queen Beauty Cream, that stuff looks like it was made in someone's kitchen sink or bathtub and used scotch tape to stick on the label. Who knows what's really in it. Besides, Michael Jackson did have vitilago so the dermatologist worked with him on his skin disease and using mono.
    BrownDeceit Posts: 366, Reputation: 24

Aug 22, 2009, 12:07 AM

Why are so many people judging this girl? My goodness. She wants to be lighter. Then let her. Honey right now I'm using {H 55} Lightening Glycerin and I LOVE it. It's natural and I haven't seen any side effects yet, and by the grace of God I won't see any. I would say if you use it twice a day with Ambi complexion cleansing soap you'll get 1/4 to half a shade lighter every one or two days. Use a very good sunblock and stay the hell out of the sun. Don't mind these people judging you. Do what makes you feel happy! Hope this helps!
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 04:02 AM

Brown please tell me where you are getting this h55 please
    BrownDeceit Posts: 366, Reputation: 24

Aug 22, 2009, 04:00 PM

My mom bought it from Paris when she went to Europe. But I'm sure if you search for it online you can order it online. It's kind of expensive though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Skin Lightening [ 6 Answers ]

So, I'm African American and moved out west. My skin has gotten a good 4 (no joke) shades darker and I am wondering what kind of creams or pills actually work. Would anybody know. Also, would anybody know how long it would take for my skin to get back to its original color?

Skin lightening [ 24 Answers ]

Helpp have dark skin need to lighten it overall.. which is the best product?

Skin lightening? [ 11 Answers ]

Okay, I may be naïve here but I have some questions about skin lightening. 1. What is it? 2. Why would you do it? I have been thinking about this with all of the threads dedicated to this topic. I thought maybe it was for someone with a dermatological problem, but it looks like I'm wrong. ...

Skin lightner for African/African American/Black people? [ 46 Answers ]

Ok I am fairly new on this site and I am having a hard time figuring out what race is everyone. I am not trying to racist or anything. What works on other races doesn't work on black people and vice versa... With that being said... Hi, Im Amina. I was a mid brown color. Before going to college...

View more questions Search