Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pamelajowen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Removing drawers from executive oak desk
    I need to remove drawers from a heavy oak executive desk about 20 years old. The glides are flat metal and I don't see a release. Lifting doesn't work. Pulling hard doesn't work.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 9, 2009, 10:44 AM

Look carefully at the slides should be a small lever or a clip that has to be moved in order to realease the drawer. Post a pic if yoou can. GOOD LUCK, AC
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 02:40 AM
    Hi, pamelajowe!

Is the wood on these drawers swollen from moisture? Or, is there some other reason that they are stuck, please?

Thanks!
    moodypoodle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 11:58 AM
    I am having the same problem. Need to remove these drawers in order to move the desk. It is very heavy. Cannot find release. Black rubber stoppers look like some sort of release but absolutely nothing happens when I depress them. Can you help? Thanks, Ann
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 06:52 PM

So are you folks talking about drawers that slide in a metal track with smaller bearings in the track?

Oct 7, 2009, 07:50 PM
    I don't know about smaller bearings in the track but the drawers do slide on a metal track. I took a picture and posted it on Google. Hope this link works.. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=annrosser&target=PHOTO&id=53899350614 93478594&aid=5389935041542600753&authkey=Gv1sRgCP6 nhrWzjeSRLw&feat=email

Oct 7, 2009, 07:53 PM
    I'm sorry. Previous link obviously was wrong. Let me try one more time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/annrosser/RecentlyUpdated?authkey=Gv1sRgCP6nhrWzjeSRLw&feat= email#
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 8, 2009, 12:13 PM

Attached Images

Oct 8, 2009, 03:11 PM

That was it! I used a flat head screwdriver to bend the prong up (each side of drawer). Thank you so much. Ann
    GoingCoastal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 09:09 AM
    How do I remove file drawers from Mt. Airy desk?

My question was asked by someone else, and I found this 2009 conversation stream with a picture of what looks like exactly the slider setup I have, but I still don't find any release. The regular drawers are easy to release by lifting and pulling, but the file drawers are another matter entirely.

I have a Mount Airy executive desk and credenza with file drawers that open on metal sliders, and I have never been able to remove them for retrieving things that fall behind them or for moving the desk. I understand that the National Mt. Airy furniture company that made these desks has been out of business for probably over 20 years. I bought this desk and credenza about 22 years ago, and have never been able to figure out how to remove the drawers.

I have a photo that might be helpful, but don't see how to upload it into this message.

Is there anyone out there who can give me more precise instructions?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 28, 2013, 05:16 PM
    Well it's a bit late, but then I don't stop by here very often. But then you have waited 20 years, to wait another month shouldn't hurt very much.

I found this 2009 conversation stream with a picture
    By that I assume you mean this thread.

What is shown in the picture is what is known as a full extension drawer guide. Means the draw will pull out the full distance of the drawer.

The above guide looks like a Accuride drawer guide but I can't be sure. Pretty sure that there is a release mechanism but can't remember just how it functions.

There are three parts to the guide. The part attached to the cabinet, the part attached attached to the drawer and the movable part between them.
    See the hole in end of the movable part, the release is probably in there.

If you can find the brand of the drawer guide you may be able to get more information about it. The manufacturer of the desk did not make the drawer guide. Look for brand of guide.

See this web site for Accuride disconnect instructions.

http://www.accuride.com/Woodworking/...Disconnect.asp
    ystone8699 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2013, 03:10 PM
    I need help with the same thing... I have posted my pics... can't find a release anywhere!

Thanks in advance for ANY assistance!
    Attached Images

rmrafter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 06:34 AM
    The black plastic pieces with the tabs toward the front of the file drawer slide are actually the releases. Push in the tab at the top of these pieces while pulling up on the drawer and it will come right out.
    rmrafter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Here's a couple of pictures to go with the previous answer.

Name:  IMG_1735.jpg
Views: 11277
Size:  60.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1734.jpg
Views: 14557
Size:  60.6 KB
    Attachment 44596
    Attached Images

ReneeLise Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2014, 11:23 AM
    This thread was fantastic help, thanks - but now I can't get the drawers back in. What is the secret?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 19, 2014, 12:17 PM
    Are you angling them from above and starting right at the front?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unlocking drawers on roll top desk [ 20 Answers ]

I have a roll top desk that I purchased in 1988 or 89. I can neither get the top to roll down nor open the side drawers. There are two keys - one of which opens a small compartment on the top of the desk - the other unlocked the roll top. The roll top is now stuck in an opened position and I...

Squeaking desk drawers [ 2 Answers ]

How do I stop squeaking when opening and closing wooden desk drawers? I have heard that paraffin wax works. How do I apply it?

Dresser drawers- Can't get them out. [ 5 Answers ]

We're shopping for bedroom furniture after a fire and found a set we like that's in the range Allstate gave us (cheap). We really do like the set-- it goes with the trim and the style of that room, but we couldn't get the drawers out. I mean, they pull out so you can use them, but we couldn't...

Removing drawers on sliders from executive desk [ 4 Answers ]

How can a drawer be removed (to take desk apart) from the sliders? We have tried unscrewing the slider, but there is a screw that remains hidden by the drawer at the front of the slider. Not sure if there is a release mechanism that we are missing. :confused: Appreciate any advice!:)

Drawers will not slide [ 6 Answers ]

We bought an unfinished chest of drawers. The drawers are extremely difficult (next to impossible) to slide in/out. We have put bar soap, but no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks.

View more questions Search