Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IRISHSAINT26 Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Aug 5, 2009, 03:25 PM
    Grand theft auto for kids?
    Should an 10 year old be allowed to play this game? Should a three year old play and watch? It glamorizes stealing cars shooting police officers, violence and hookers... strip clubs...
    podoboo Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 07:50 PM
    Well in the eyes of my mother, as long as you drill it into their head that its just a game and has absolutely no ties to reality, it doesn't hurt. However myself personally would never ever ever let my younger brother or sister (who are 5 & 9) watch let along play a copy of it (even though I was allowed to play the game when I was 12)... Some kids are just a tad to impressionable to be around anything like that. It really depends on the kid though, Some, as I was, can play a game or watch a TV show/movie of this kind and not duplicate anything that comes from it, however others like a cousin of mine, have to imitate every single bad act imaginable... So my vote is no, after all there are ratings on the boxes for a reason.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Ultimately it's up to the parents.

But, there is no way in hell that a 10 year old, and particularly a 3 year old, should be allowed to watch that kind of violence, whether on TV, at the theatre (where they wouldn't get in anyway), or in a video game.

Killing police officers is 'entertainment'?

Just my opinion, but that game should be off limits for young children.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 01:31 AM

There's a reason the game is for ages 15+ ;)
    IRISHSAINT26 Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Aug 6, 2009, 07:24 AM

Its 17+ Thank you all I agree, hopefully I can talk some sense into the person allowing this. It does depend on the child but I think 10 and 3 is way to young, I heard where 6 year old said it taught him how to drive, drove the car and ran over and killed his younger sibling. Very sad, we need to change America for the better one child at a time.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 08:16 AM

Oh OK, I thought it was only 15, 17 is even better.

Good on you though, you can try to talk some sense into them, it's really not appropriate, like you said, it can teach them some pretty bad values. Use the example you said here.

Just remember in the end they are their children so all you can do is to bring it up, if they say that they don't care if they play it then you don't want to start an argument.

Good luck.
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Aug 6, 2009, 11:43 AM

I don't think that a 10 year old should be playing that game. My little brother is 10 and I saw him playing it one time. I was a little shocked to see that. I asked him what he liked about the game and he said that he likes running people over, shooting people, and beating up the police. To me that wasn't cool. A 10 year old shouldn't be "liking" that kind of stuff. Some kids go out and re-enacte what they see on games and television. That's what's wrong with some kids today. And it doesn't make it any better that the parents don't care.

A 3 year old shouldn't even be anywhere near that kind of stuff.

That's my opinion.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 11:49 AM
    And then when kids younger go and commit similar crimes to that they've done in the game, it's the game that gets the blame, when it's the person who bought the game in the first place's fault :mad:
    snippy07 Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Aug 6, 2009, 11:50 AM

I personally played it when I was 10, but I just liked driving the cars, I even stopped at the red lights and tried driving the same speed as the other cars :). But not everybody likes playing like that haha, so yea I think 10 is to young for most people.

Aug 6, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Snippy I play the game like that too :) I mean I do missions too, but I mainly just like to drive the cars, do cab fare missions, pimp mission lol. I just like to have fun on the game. Not that crazy reckless stuff
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 12:31 PM

I had started the new GTA on nintendo DS (and Bear knows that;)) but I was really shocked... It's using foul languages, the 'boses' praising the character for using them, dealing of drugs, reckless killing, putting fire to shops, etc... I think I'll just deleted that game, and no longer play it. Already, I've not played it for some days now, more on other games.

So, my answer is also no. I've found 10+ ratings, 15+ ratings, 17+ ratings but also 18+ ratings. This game should be in either 17+ or 18+. Unfortunately, most younger teens ignore these ratings and go play them.

Btw, that GTA I got was from a smaller peer, who's 13! :eek: I really don't know where they get those games, and he even told me it was a very good game :eek:

Aug 6, 2009, 12:40 PM

Wow!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 12:42 PM

You know I am 31 and I never played any of the GTA games. But I am not that big of a gamer anyway. I have a Wii do they even make it for the Wii?
    snippy07 Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Aug 6, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    You know I am 31 and I never played any of the GTA games. But I am not that big of a gamer anyway. I have a Wii do they even make it for the Wii?
    No I don't think so I just checked BestBuy online for you and they don't have it, so I'm assuming not unless they got it somewhere else.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 12:49 PM

You're lucky Spitevenom! I think that there are better games on the Wii console. (I want one badly!! :()

EDIT: There are so many people having one... you're the fifth one (I think) since yesterday whom I discovered had a Wii :(

Aug 6, 2009, 12:52 PM

Yea the Wii is a pretty nice game system. I love it. Wish I had one too
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 12:56 PM
    It's a really good party console, drunk bowling with friends can be priceless :)

Aug 6, 2009, 01:00 PM

I haven't heard anyone complain about it either. They say that it is nice excersising too.

Drunk bowling with friends does sound like fun lol. Drunk kareoke is fun too!! That's my fav!
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 01:02 PM

I've only heard of some people complaining that the game was being mean to them by saying that they were not that very in good physique :p ;)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 01:06 PM

Three. No way. And ten is too young, although if the ten year old had a 16 year old sibling, it might be hard to stop without banning the game.

I confess that my kids have played this game quite a lot and well before 17. In fact, I even have played it and had fun. I wasn't very happy about the game at first, but they were mostly driving the cars. To be honest, there are way more horrible games. The most disturbing thing I saw was an adult visitor who didn't usually play video games. We handed him the controls for GTA and he started kicking random pedestrians to death. This was a middle aged, mild mannered college professor (I thought) so I was kind of surprised.

My kids are not violent at all and are very tender hearted about animals. The older one won't even go to see violent movies--especially documentaries about Iraq and similar. Yet he plays first person shooter games. He does not like it when I kill real mice in our garage. Is the younger one less sensitive because he's logged more hours playing games? I don't know. But he's not remotely inclined to real violence as far as I can see. When he occasionally goes around shooting pedestrians in Grand Theft Auto, his brother and I give him a hard time. He says we take it too seriously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Grand Theft Auto [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Alona Kelly. I was wondering how much time should a grand theft auto suspect receive.

Grand theft auto [ 5 Answers ]

My son is 15 and has stoled a vehicle will they charge him as an adult? This is not the first time he has been in trouble at this time he is going to court the 10/ 23/07 for burglary and theft.

Grand theft auto [ 1 Answers ]

Does grand theft auto carry the same penalty as unauthorized use of an automobile

Grand theft auto [ 1 Answers ]

What are the games in order of series of being relased for ps2?

Grand Theft Auto [ 1 Answers ]

My son stole a vehicle in Kentucky and traveled to Georgia were he was arrested. He is beign charged by Georgia for transportation of stolen property and currently is held on a 7,500.00 bond in a county jail for that charge; and is also awaiting extradition to Kentucky to face charges for grand...

View more questions Search