Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginger68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 07:24 PM
    My son is making bad choices
    My son is 19 and he is making some really bad choices. He has dropped out of college, quit his job with benefits, and is hanging out with some really bad kids. I really have no say over what he does because he is 19 and really does not live at home any more. He yes's us to death when my husband and I try to talk to him. I am so scared that he is going to get in trouble with the law or hooked on drugs. Please give me some advice!:(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 07:42 PM

There's nothing you can do except use reverse psychology. Act exactly how he least expects you to. Invite him over for a meal or a cookout, but do not bring up his poor choices etc. Talk with him about movies you've seen or TV shows or family gossip or how the garden is doing. Do something with him, like go horseback riding or fishing or sightseeing if you live near a big city. Treat him like a normal person. Be enthusiastic about the new little niece in the family or how big the tomatoes are getting or how funny the dog is. Show him how family life should be. Forget the scolding and crying and scare stories. If you've been good parents all these years, your training will bubble to the surface. In any event, he has to suffer the consequences of the poor choices he makes. You can't protect him any longer.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 07:46 PM

All I can suggest is that instead of giving advice, ask him questions like, "what do you picture for yourself - what are your dreams?" Talk to him in terms like, "well, I want you to be happy and reach your ambitions...if you don't know what will make you happy and inspired yet, I'd like you to be in a situation where you're likely to find that inspiration... so I'm trying to help. Can you see why your decisions lately worry me?" If he hears you worried for him and concerned for his happiness, it will sound a lot less like being told what to do. Best wishes to you!
    aboleth Posts: 60, Reputation: 8

Aug 6, 2009, 05:13 PM

Kids at this age are listening. But they listen more when you allow them to be totally open. Many times this means just asking questions and never being judgemental. I'm almost 30 now, and I certainly had my times of hanging out with the wrong crowd. My mo was always there and let me talk to her about anything and never judged me. When she'd give advice I really listened. He may have to make a few mistakes, just always be there and listen. Don't judge, but dissaprove where you think you aught to.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 05:21 PM
    I think the most important thing is to make sure you don't try to push him. He's 19, and has gotten a certain amount of freedom. We all have to make our own mistakes. Just give him love and hope for the best. As far as the job, I hate to hear that in today's economy. Maybe he will get a "terrible" job that will make him realize what a good one is worth. I wish you the best.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ginger68 View Post
    my son is 19 and he is making some really bad choices. He has dropped out of college, quit his job with benefits, and is hanging out with some really bad kids. I really have no say over what he does because he is 19 and really does not live at home any more. He yes's us to death when my husband and i try to talk to him. I am so scared that he is going to get in trouble with the law or hooked on drugs. Please give me some advice!:(

He's dropped out of college, quit a good job, and spending his time hanging out. What do you think he's doing. If the 'really bad kids' he's hanging out with are just like him, some of them at least come from good homes too.

I suspect drugs and/or gang activity. What else could turn an otherwise productive individual to leave his usual life, and provide no explanations as to why. Or what he's doing for that matter, that seems a better choice to him now.

You say he 'really does not live at home anymore', what exactly does that mean. Is he allowed home for meals, laundry, a warm bed now and then? Is he totally on his own, or does he more come and go as he pleases. Do you give him money? Does he have a car?

Were there no signs whatsoever that he was doing poorly in school, or that he was unhappy attending college? What about his job- was he having trouble that you knew of, or did he just up and quit one day with no reason.

Has he been in trouble with the law before?

I just don't see so far, how this can all be a surprise. There must be some sort of history. Is there more you can offer to paint a clearer picture so that the advice you are given is based on more facts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which four choices do have when you are disssatisfied in your job [ 23 Answers ]

Which four choices do have when you are dissatisfied in your job.

401 K choices [ 2 Answers ]

My company allowed us to contribute to a 401K plan via our Union pre-tax dollars in June. I made the following allocations. Now with the markets the way they are should I make some changes to what I have chosen in this list or leave it as is? Thanks. 5% High quality bond 5% Infl-prot sec 6%...

Making choices [ 11 Answers ]

Last night, I happened across a quote in the form of a question. It stopped me in my tracks. The anonymous author simply asked: "If there was no way you could fail, what one thing in the world would you do?" Personally, I'd like more than one option, but that's not how it works. Given...

Choices [ 2 Answers ]

Joe, unfortunately, found himself in Hell after his demise here on earth. Upon his arrival, the Devil greeted him and advised him that he may choose his place of eternity from 3 rooms, behind the 3 doors that were before him. Joe walked up to door #1 and when he got near it the intense heat...

So Many Choices [ 8 Answers ]

This is a complex part of my life. Can anybody PLEASE tell me about the dark haired man that I know so well and care for so much. He has "problems" in his life, and I have "problems" in my life... very, very different problems. I'm looking for a reading... whatever you seems to get. It could...

View more questions Search