Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donnasouth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 08:28 AM
    RUUD Heat Pump condenser won't come on
    I have a 20 year old RUUD 2.5 ton heat pump. The outside cooling unit started to "click" a few months ago when it was coming on. Sometimes it would come on and sometimes it would not. It eventually stopped coming on. We have replaced the contacts and capacitors but it does not help. Also, if we get the compressor to come on for a second, it will throw the breaker within seconds. Also, it gets hot. We have had someone suggest getting a "jump start" kit and putting it in. We don't have much money so I am trying to determine if it is a lost cause or can be fixed. Most of the numbers are worn off but we can read "Model outdoor-PCB-024". Thanks for your help. We live in Alabama.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Aug 3, 2009, 08:54 AM

If your compressor tripps the breakers that quickly your compressor is more than likely grounded. This means the compressor needs to be replaced. I would not recommend doing that on a 20 year old unit. I would instead suggest replaceing unit, as would most contractors. You can replace just the compressor. It would be cheaper, but in the long run it might cost you more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ruud heat pump is froze up. [ 1 Answers ]

My Ruud heat pump has ice all around the cooling fins. The outside fan isn't running, but I still have heat inside. What should I do?

RUUD Heat Pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem heat pump and have purchased a replacement condenser fan motor. It had an Emerson KA55HXPAM-7255 and was crossed over to an A O Smith ORM 1008. My problem is the wiring, the new motor has one more wire than the old one. I had orange, brown, black on the old one. The new one has...

Ruud Heat Pump - Model RCBA-4882GG21 [ 1 Answers ]

Where are the filters and how do you get to them to clean them

RUUD Heat Pump Outside Unit Fan not coming on [ 1 Answers ]

I just closed on my house - made one payment and the outside heat pump is not working!! About 3-4 weeks ago the fan on the outdside unit just sounded a little rough, almost a slight grind/knocking noise- although nothing major or too out of the ordinary for a fan motor ,just a little bit...

Ruud Air Conditioner or Heat Pump [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced my Old Thermostat with a Honeywell CT87A 4447 about a year ago and only the Air conditioner/ cooling part works now. It worked perfectly well before, now the heat will not operate. There is only 4 wires R W G B, the unit is a Ruud Model #USNd-036J MFG Date 1989. Is this unit a heat...

View more questions Search