Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Aug 1, 2009, 01:15 AM
    Large Spiders. Spiders in Pine Trees
    Hello, another pest question while I'm here in the pest section!

What can be done to deter spiders? This is amazing, one day recently we had a tarantula in our house, it was up on a wall kind of in the corner. It was about the size of a ladies' palm, legs included. We captured it and set it free away from the house.

After him, I've been noticing a lot of big spiders, not tarantulas, just some other kind of large-ish spider. I'd say they're about the size of a silver dollar or maybe a bit bigger, greyish with black accents, not hairy. They're very fast moving and like to run and hide under things. I've found 2 right around my front door in the past couple days.

I have pine trees in my front yard and there is a lot of regular smallish to medium sized spiders that seem to have moved in. I wonder if these spiders are all the same family and the pine trees are what's attracting them? Maybe the couple of big ones were just freakishly big but belong to the family of spiders that occupy the trees? The branches of the trees are very close to the porch and they often build webs overnight that cross the path out the front door and through the entrance to our patio. The webs are thick strings that almost feel like thread. Thickest webbing I have ever felt.

I don't want them venturing inside! What might deter them? Is there anything safe for the tree that I could maybe spray on the branches that are near the house to deter them? Something I could put around my porch and front door to deter them?

I prefer something more natural and safe, as I have 2 small kids that play on the porch! Plus I don't want to kill the trees or branches!

Thanks for any help! Spiders freak me out! I don't even know how I manage to sleep at night after the tarantula incident!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 1, 2009, 03:08 AM
    The easiest natural spider repellant is mechanical disruption. Take a long pole and knock down their webs every day. In less than two weeks they should have figured out that this is not a good place to build a web. No web = no food = go elsewhere.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Aug 1, 2009, 11:51 AM

K, I'll try it.

These spiders seem to be busy only at night, is that normal? I might be totally wrong, but I thought spiders kind of "shut down" at night?

I typically see the ones in the trees building the webs starting at around dusk and continuing through the night.

Would spraying a hose at them work? I just don't like the thought of getting too close, if one fell on me I'd just die!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 1, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Yes it's normal for the large orb weavers to work at night. They're trying to catch insects that are most active right after dark and just before dawn in that "nautical twilight" period.

A hose may work, it may not. These things spin webs designed to survive rainstorms. That's why I suggest a long pole at least twice as long as a broomstick to break the webs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting rid of spiders [ 13 Answers ]

Any one know a good way to get rid of spiders.We mostly have little redish brown spiders in the house and outside we get some pretty big red spiders That make big webs.We have a lot of daddy long legs,thou they do not really Bother us that much.They pretty much stay out of the way but the big red...

Getting Rid of SPIDERS? [ 4 Answers ]

Good Day I would like to know if there is any way of getting completely rid of spiders. I am very scared of spider can't even look at a daddy long leg never mind the other ugly one. The daddy long legs are in my garage & then I have got weird spiders some how it looks like the violin spider...

Over run by spiders! [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how I can get rid of spiders in my home. I have a variety of types and they are driving me crazy! I know my next question will be how to get rid of the bugs that the spiders are eating but I will ask that one at a later time. :eek:

Spiders in my bed! [ 12 Answers ]

I have just gotten married last week and me and my wife have lived in our one bedroom apartment for almost a month. Within the first night we found 3 spiders. One on the ceiling above our bed and two in the living room. A few nights later I found a violin spider crawling on my chest as I began to...

How to get rid of spiders [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a basement apartment n we have spiders how can I get rid of them?

View more questions Search