Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 02:40 PM
    You need to say to him what you've told us here. You admit it was wrong that you allowed this sort of communication to continue between you and this ex-coworker. Now you need to let your husband know that you know it was wrong. Apologize to him for these things and try to reassure him that you've never cheated on him and never would. I think a little bit of humility here will mend a lot of fences.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 02:57 PM
    There is nothing you can say or do to justify what you have, and haven't done.

What you have done is encourage emotional cheating with an ex-coworker, who 'made you feel good about yourself' as you said.

What you haven't done, is address issues with your husband before the texting relationship started.

So, what makes it okay that because you got busted, your husband is the one to blame for all of this, by justifying his behaviour which somehow made you do it in the first place? Surely you knew that every text you got that you responded to was innapropriate. And surely you knew that blocking the coworkers number was the right thing to do for a married woman?

You didn't do it. You got busted. Now you are figuring things out? Where have you been!

There are many, many things you could have done if you were unhappy with your husband, and none of them include adding another man on the side.

If it were me, Im sorry to say, I would not give you the time of day either. At some point, perhaps your husband, who is NOT responsible for any of this second relationship you have going on, will allow you a second chance.

I think it really was a coward's way out for you; cheap thrills with the phone chat, and no effort until after the fact, to address the problems in your marriage.

You make it sound so innocent. I don't buy it.
    SafeHeart Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 07:13 PM
    The trust issues that I bring up is that her husband sounds like he believes she cheated physically with another man, which is usually much harder for a man to take than emotional infidelity. If he was upset about the inappropriate texting that is one thing. But to accuse her of things she said that she did not do shows a lack of trust. So, one of them or maybe both need to work on the trust issues if they want a healthy relationship.
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Jul 16, 2009, 07:42 PM

It sounds like there is a lot of STUFF here. It's not just your texting, which is not excusable, but you never addressed how you feel neglected or all the fighting.

When we don't deal with our feelings or the problems with the people we are in relationships with, we start behaving our feelings... our frustrations etc.

I feel like this is emotional cheating... but it's really a symptom of a bigger problem in your marriage. And if he won't go to marriage counseling, I don't see how this is going to resolve.

I think that you are to blame for the latest episode but it's really an on-going thing. I think you both need to fix it or forget it... otherwise this round and round is just going to keep going round and round.
    Nut-ina-choc Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    There is nothing you can say or do to justify what you have, and haven't done.

What you have done is encourage emotional cheating with an ex-coworker, who 'made you feel good about yourself' as you said.

What you haven't done, is address issues with your husband before the texting relationship started.

So, what makes it okay that because you got busted, your husband is the one to blame for all of this, by justifying his behaviour which somehow made you do it in the first place? Surely you knew that every text you got that you responded to was innapropriate. And surely you knew that blocking the coworkers number was the right thing to do for a married woman?

You didn't do it. You got busted. Now you are figuring things out? Where have you been!

There are many, many things you could have done if you were unhappy with your husband, and none of them include adding another man on the side.

If it were me, Im sorry to say, I would not give you the time of day either. At some point, perhaps your husband, who is NOT responsible for any of this second relationship you have going on, will allow you a second chance.

I think it really was a coward's way out for you; cheap thrills with the phone chat, and no effort until after the fact, to address the problems in your marriage.

You make it sound so innocent. I don't buy it.

Seems like I'm just being accused and beaten down by your comments (most of you here). I am not saying what I did was right. I am not giving excuses but I'm trying to look deep down as to why I would have done such a thing. I still do not consider it emotional cheating because I was not involved, in any way, emotionally, with this man. I just liked the attention. And yes, I guess that is a little sick and it's a disgusting way of dealing with my problem in my marriage, but I would never have let it gone any farther than that. I love my husband and I am staying married and made that clear to the former co-worker/friend as well.

Now what you all don't know is that I DID try to address the problems I have with my husband--how we never have any conversations, how I feel we're just like roomates, how he never shows any affection; but he just always used to dismiss it saying that I live in a Disney world and to snap out of it (saying I love you and wanting to hear "I love you too" instead of "OK" is living in a Disney world? ) I've brought it up numerous times, jokingly and non-jokingly. And this has been missing from my relationship for a long time already. Again, I am not making excuses and blaming him, I am just explaining a little more about our relationship and where I am coming from.

Never did I say that I was right and what I did was right, I am just trying to look at myself and really ask myself how could I let this happen? I was lonely, I was feeling neglected and I was weak and stupid with how I dealt with it, knowing that what I was doing what wrong while I was doing it. I'm only human, and I made a mistake. I did not cheat however, and I will stand my ground on that one.

Jul 17, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeHeart View Post
    The trust issues that I bring up is that her husband sounds like he believes she cheated physically with another man, which is usually much harder for a man to take than emotional infidelity. If he was upset about the inappropriate texting that is one thing. But to accuse her of things she said that she did not do shows a lack of trust. So, one of them or maybe both need to work on the trust issues if they want a healthy relationship.
    That is true safeheart; he would always snoop online to see what sites I browsed, etc. And he does believe that there is more that I'm not telling him and that I did more and that I'm lying, when I'm NOT and never did. But his trust is broken (I don't blame him after those texts) and he doesn't believe a word I say. However, on the other hand, I really did not cheat, and I am being accused of way more than what I really did. And there's no way out of it now, no way to fix it until he decides to trust me again, and trust what I'm saying... and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Jul 17, 2009, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nut-ina-choc View Post
    Seems like I'm just being accused and beaten down by your comments (most of you here). I am not saying what I did was right. I am not giving excuses but I'm trying to look deep down as to why I would have done such a thing. I still do not consider it emotional cheating because I was not involved, in any way, emotionally, with this man. I just liked the attention. And yes, I guess that is a little sick and it's a disgusting way of dealing with my problem in my marriage, but I would never have let it gone any farther than that. I love my husband and I am staying married and made that clear to the former co-worker/friend as well.

Now what you all don't know is that I DID try to address the problems I have with my husband--how we never have any conversations, how I feel we're just like roomates, how he never shows any affection; but he just always used to dismiss it saying that I live in a Disney world and to snap out of it (saying I love you and wanting to hear "I love you too" instead of "OK" is living in a Disney world??) I've brought it up numerous times, jokingly and non-jokingly. And this has been missing from my relationship for a long time already. Again, I am not making excuses and blaming him, I am just explaining a little more about our relationship and where I am coming from.

Never did I say that I was right and what I did was right, I am just trying to look at myself and really ask myself how could I let this happen? I was lonely, I was feeling neglected and I was weak and stupid with how I dealt with it, knowing that what I was doing what wrong while I was doing it. I'm only human, and I made a mistake. I did not cheat however, and I will stand my ground on that one.
    Maybe the question needs to be why you're staying in this marriage if so much is missing. Perhaps the on-line relationship is just a big red flag that you need to get out.

Jul 17, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Just an update.. things are really bad as you know. He won't talk to me, look at me or let me go near him. And he's lost control a couple of times. It's never been this bad between us, and since he will never consider therapy I figured the only way to solve this is to get somebody else involved, because he won't listen to me. He has a lot of respect for his older brother (who lives on the other side of the planet, but anyway) so I called him, and his cousin and told them what happened, and I told them what I'd done and they said they would help us fix this. His brother called him a few times yesterday and talked to him. I think he calmed him down a little bit, but we still have a long way to go until he even decides to look at me again. They told me that I was stupid and weak and should never have let that happen, but they were also surprised to hear all the details about our relationship, and all the problems we have... they agreed that our past has a lot to do with what just happened. They said they believe me that I haven't done anything beyond the texting and that they are going to keep talking to my husband and try and get him to realize that too and slowly repair his trust.

I'm trying to be optimistic and believe that it's going to be OK, even if it takes a long time, but I can't help but think negative because something like this has never happened before, and his trust is broken and I really think he doesn't want to be with me anymore.

Personally, I know what I can do in the future to make our relationship better, but there's also a lot that he can do (down the road once we're somewhat ok) as well. I can give and give but when you're not getting anything back you stop giving and when you get really lonely and depressed you start doing foolish things. I've learned my lesson and once this is repaired (if it will be) I know what I can do to make it better and what I should never ever do, even if I'm feeling way down and lonely. I'll let you know what happens. But right now everything's still fresh and raw, and he's so angry I can't tell what his plans are. :(
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 08:30 AM

I don't think anyone is trying to vilify you here, and I think what is disconcerting is that you have this denial that you were not emotionally cheating and many of us see it differently.
    A quick definition of emotional cheating is :

Though it may not seem like it, emotional infidelity is a betrayal of your partner - even though it's not like a “real” affair with physical intimacy and intercourse.
    It is all semantics ,at any rate.The problem I have is that while you admit you did something wrong,you are still justifying the behavior by stating that you were vulnerable due to your husbands lack of communication and lack of affection.

I understand all of that and how you fell into this meaningless relationship because of that .

You should have chosen another way to cope with your feelings of rejection. I hope that if your marriage survives this you choose therapy,if only for yourself, to understand if you can cope with his indifference and if not how you are going to proceed from there.

Your post sounded very one sided ,like it was all about you and how you were hurt and how you were terrified he was going to leave.It came off as being a kind of me me kind of thing.I think that is where you may have lost some compassion.

Hopefully,down the road ,your husband may come to understand that his indifference needs to be put in check and that you both need to work on communication,lest your marriage fall to the wayside.

Marriage is work,hard work.Loving is the easy part ,the rest takes maturity,commitment and a willingness to work on issues before they escalate.

I hope you do not feel we have ganged up on you as I know that was not the intention.Rather some of us were attempting to help you to see this from a different perspective.

What is Emotional Cheating? Spouses Who Talk Intimately With Others are Committing Infidelity | Suite101.com
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 17, 2009, 10:33 AM
    When you went to Niagara Falls with your husband, and he asked you if anything was wrong, you said, no. That makes you a liar.

When you said this: "My husband read a few texts on my phone yesterday from a former co-worker, that, I admit has been a little too friendly... actually way too friendly up to the point where he has been courting me even though I am married. He started as a friend at work and nothing more and he actually respected my marriage and didn't try anything funny in the beginning. As time went by and especially around the time I left that job (a couple of months ago) he started flirting more and more and sending me texts like "I wish I had someone like you" "You're the best" "My world is shattered when you are not around".

That makes you a cheat.

Have you ended the relationship with the co-worker?

How did he react, is he married by the way?

If you husband picked up on the fact that you were unhappy, and you failed to have a conversation with him, you missed a golden opportunity to do some mending. But you kept the relationship with the co-worker a secret instead, and left your husband in the dark.

Turns out he was right. All he needed was proof, and you forgot to delete some messages, otherwise he'd still be wondering.

I am also suspicious that had your husband not checked out a few things on your phone, that your relationship with the co-worker, would have (if it hasn't already) resulted in meetings and phone calls.

I don't know that you are serious about your marriage enough to let the co-worker go, and get yourself into therapy to see why you don't hold yourself accountable for your own actions. While your behaviour has put a justifiable wedge in your marriage, it was caused by you.

That your husband has been betrayed, lied to, cheated on, and finds himself in the unfortunate position of you blaming all of this on his shortcomings, it will be very difficult to just get over it.

You have to be able to understand why you chose to do what you did, what the damage was, and why, and work on yourself in order to understand what it is you need to learn, and do, in order for your marriage to work.

IF that's what you want.

Jul 17, 2009, 12:59 PM

It is just my opinion, but I do not think that the wife is 100% responsible here. I mean, she might be, but passing that judgment without finding out both sides of the story is not fair to her.

I agree she could have found what she was looking for if she just got a pet or something... lots of women do not have men in their lives and find ways to make themselves happy! Also, she probably does not know what her husband is and has been up to. To me, one instance of emotional infidelity is not a valid reason to get a divorce. There has to be much more negativity in the marriage than just her mistakes. Also, this may be a very young couple who have come from dysfunctional homes and need to learn appropriate relationship skills.

My heart goes out to you Nut-Ina-Choc. And, if you get a chance to save your marriage, please learn better ways to relate to him and hopefully he will learn from you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 08:23 AM
    From what I have read this is but the culmination of a lot of bad behavior on both sides.

I think the raw emotions on both sides make it clear, neither of you is ready, or able, to think clearly or calmly. I know you can now recognize your mistakes, as your paying the consequences, but you must be patient, and let his anger run its course, and that will take longer than you want, no doubt.

I am a big believer in acknowledging the mess you made, and forgiving yourself, That's a must for right now, as its one thing to be humble and full of humility, and quite another to be a doormat, and though you may of done a very bad thing in desperation or whatever reason you believe, you had better clear your head for what lies ahead, as depression is not an option, and you better deal with it.

Okay your husband is pi$$ed, and won't talk to you, completely understandable, and since he won't get help for himself, why can't you get it for yourself???

You can do a lot for your own good, by seeing that counselor, without him. Thats better than being depressed, and alone, and worrying about the end of the world.

I think that's what you do while you wait for his emotional dust to settle. One of you will have to learn how to communicate better, so get busy, and help yourself with some positive actions.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 09:03 AM

I don't see any need for the husband to seek therapy here - of course, I agree, "we" only have one side of the story.

The wife lied and emotionally cheated and she thinks her husband has a problem and needs therapy?

I think she's the one who has to work out her own demons before she can work on his - and I still think she pitted two men against each other for purposes of satisfying her ego.
    jham123 Posts: 77, Reputation: 20

Jul 29, 2009, 12:04 PM

If He is like me, He will remain angry until she fully accepts the culpability of her actions... bringing a third party into the Marriage...

Accept that a wrong action has occurred. Admit and fully understand that is was wrong and let him know that you understand fully... And ask for His forgiveness so you can start fresh and move forward...

I guess to some that would be seen as weak and giving a "Man" too much power...

Jul 29, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Admitting that she made a mistake and asking forgiveness does not sound weak to me. It sounds very strong. Also, this would give the "man" no more power in the relationship than if the roles were reversed and the man had to admit a mistake and ask for forgiveness.

Your answer sounds like good advice to me.
    jham123 Posts: 77, Reputation: 20

Jul 30, 2009, 07:47 AM

He who is sorry for having sinned is almost innocent. -- Seneca
    rolexi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 12:11 PM
    I talked to a guy when out with friends and we chatted on emails but I stopped when he started flirting. My husband read the emails and said I must have cheated with him. He said I was all sorts of unrepeatable things. I didn't cheat and think that I am allowed to have male friends right. Apparently not. I took a night of hell and abuse and he is leaving me because of this. I hate modern tech and think it accentuates things and lets others read between the lines and come up with wrong picture of the situation. I think that an insecure partner is going to flip and judge by his own standards. I agree with you I don't think you cheated emotionally I think you made a mistake to let it continue but here's the thing you needed the texts and your husband should have been telling you all of those things. Unfortunately you can't breath these days without it being recorded and held against you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Husband always thinks I'm cheating [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for almost 2 years, and he is constantly accusing me of cheating while he is at work. He says he hears people talking when he calls me but there is nobody there with me, and says I have hickeys and bruises but I have not been with anyone. I don't know what to do...

My husband thinks I am cheating and I am not [ 10 Answers ]

My husband thinks I can stop for 15 minutes and have a quicky on my way home from work. I can't even stop to get milk with out him wondering why I am late. I know we have fights in the past and my behavior and discussions we have had has somehow lead him to suspisions. However I admit to misusing...

My husband thinks I am cheating [ 1 Answers ]

My husband went through my bedroom drawers and found a sticky note in the bottom of the drawer that said "freak of nature" and had a spanish word signed underneath it. We have built in drawers in our bedroom which were there when we moved in. I vaugley remember seeing the sticky while moving in and...

My Husband thinks I'm cheating on him [ 4 Answers ]

OK I'm going to make this as short as possible, I've been married for 4 years, every friend that I seem to have since we've been married, my husband thinks I'm messing with them, it does't matter what sex they are... and like a good wife I would stop hanging out with them. My husband thinks I'm...

Husband thinks I'm cheating [ 8 Answers ]

I have been married 18yrs got married when we were 21.My husband thinks I cheat on him.I have had more boyfriends then he had girlfriends when I was younger.I have lied to him about money and bills but I have taken out home equity loan to get our bill back in order.It comes out of my paycheck.But I...

View more questions Search