Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larkemett Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Jul 18, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Stocking a home bar - essential booze
    Hey all :)

I'm looking for advice and suggestions towards what I should add to my home bar. I've recently got quite into mixing cocktails and have bought a couple of books on it but every time I browse through them new drinks jump out at me and I think "Oh, I'll try that... no wait I don't have any -insert odd booze-"

So what are your favourite alcoholic beverages? I can't never really decide what to buy at the time and end up restocking on old favourites.

I already have some of the basics and some personal favourites:

Vodka
    White Rum
    Dark Rum
    Coconut Rum
    Peach Schnapps
    Midori
    Blue Curaçao
    Sour Apple liqueur
    Goldschlager
    Toffee Liqueur
    Banana Liqueur
    Cherry Liqueur
    Baileys Irish Cream

What should I add?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:27 PM

Bombay Sapphire gin
    Makers mark bourbon
    Absolut vodka
    Wild Irish Rose
    Jagermeister
    Hennesy

There's one more I am thinking of that is in a
    Rounded triangular shaped bottle that starts with the letter D I think
    I don't think I am thinking of Drambue
    And something else in a tall blue bottle
    This may be my excuse to make a trip to the liquor store :D

****I don't really drink but it seems these are the best from what I have heard. I did have the makers mark once.:D
    shayb17 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 10:04 AM
    So far you have a good range, but looks like you need some gin, tequila and whiskey. Most drinks are also made with sweet and sour mix, triple sec, pineapple juice, cranberry juice and OJ. That should be a good start, then just add other stuff for specific drinks. Mojitos are a favorite to serve to people at home. People love them! Rum, mint, sugar and soda.;)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shayb17 View Post
    sweet and sour mix, pineapple juice, cranberry juice and OJ. sugar and soda.
    MY favorite part of the drink
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jul 23, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Larkemett, when it comes to the bourbons, scotches, brandies (cognacs), whiskies, et. al. you'll want to distinguish between those for mixing, and those for sipping.

If you have a guest who wants to enjoy a good single malt, for example, they'll remember you forever if you pour them a Macallan or a 15-year old Glenmorangie. But on the other hand, if you're mixing up a Scotch-based drink that has a lot of other heavy or strong-tasting ingredients, the subtleties and nuances of a premium Scotch would be lost. In that latter case, you can go with one of the more "everyday" Scotches as the base for the cocktail.

Same goes for the others I mentioned at the opening: You'll want to have "premium" stuff for the sippers, and "good" stuff for the mixers. A well-stocked bar will have both on hand.

Cheers!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Grand Marnier
    Roses lime
    Bitters
    A really good Tequila and regular for drinks
    Crème de Cocoa white or dark
    Kalua
    Chambourd (sp?) round bottle, crown on top (raspberry)
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jul 24, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Some of the best vodkas are Russian Standard, Absolut, Finlandia, Vikingfjord, Effen, Chopin, Belvedere, Reyka and Stolichnaya.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Jul 24, 2009, 07:45 PM

For wine drinkers you should add a Chardonnay, White Zinfandel and a red such as Bordeaux or Cabernet. Always keep a bottle of decent Champagne for impromptu celebrations. Asti Spumante is another favorite to keep on hand.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 08:01 PM
    My Mama taught me "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are essential amino acids? Where are they found ? [ 2 Answers ]

I read in my book but I don't quite understand. Thanks

Merchandise stocking [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know how to apply for some area merchandise stocker or display job. I live in the East TN. Area. I've been on all the job.com nonsense. Now I'm sure my email address is all over the internet. I can't seem to find any answers at all concerning this. Can someone out there help...

What is essential is invisible to the eye? - Little Prince [ 2 Answers ]

Based on your experience, what do you think is that that is essential but invisible to the eye?

What Baby immunisations Are GENUINELY essential [ 6 Answers ]

I´m trying to find some impartial advice on immunisations for our 2 week old baby. My girlfriend is, quite rightly, against immunisations that aren't necessary based on the odds and statistics. We had our baby in a natural birthing clinic, with a water birth with no medication whatsoever....

RDA'S of essential nutrients [ 1 Answers ]

What are the RDA of essential nutrients for a 24Year old adult of 6' 1" height with a weight of approximately 84 kg's.

View more questions Search