Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Akmeper18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Depression
    Name some of the pro's and con's of lifestyle changes verses medication in the treatment of depression?
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Oct 25, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Meds can only treat the symptoms, there really isn't a cure and for some its hard to determine which form of treatment is right for them, which is why some go through a trial and error process of different meds. For lots of people they do work, and if you choose not to go the way of meds, there are things that can be done to help yourself.

As for lifestyle changes, start with the easiest and most do-able ones; break large things down into smaller tasks; surround yourself with positive people; get moving! Exercise increases endorphins, endorphins are the 'happy' chemical in the brain; set prioroties and do what you can, when you can; try to move your thinking from negative to a more neutral ground; set up activities to look forward to; confide in people you trust.

I hope this helped a bit, many good luck wishes sent your way!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 07:52 AM
    The two most often go hand in hand. Clinical depression cannot be "cured" by lifestyle change alone... but lifestyle change can certainly help - and is often encouraged.

Is this a homework question?
    Do you have someone suggesting that you or someone you know telling you that lifestyle change alone can cure depressiion?
    Captain_Brown Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 07:37 AM
    If you see a phychiatrist regularly, get a good amount of sleep, start doing some activities of your choice to get your mind off it. Maybe if you take some medication like Zoloft, Selexa, Lithium, or Cymbalta, those maybe help your depression.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 07:46 AM
    My doctor recommended both medication and lifestyle changes for my depression. The biggest issue is that when you are in the middle of depression, it's hard to see any way to make changes in your life without getting the chemical side of it under control first. EVERY task seems overwhelming, and the lack of immediate results is disheartening.

See your doctor! He/she may recommend something completely different for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend broke up with because he has depression [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, About a week ago my boyfriend broke up with me because of his depression. We had been together for over a year, and I knew all along about his condition. Out of the blue last week he said that he wasn't happy and couldn't do this anymore, he loved me and didn't want to hurt me. He said that...

Depression [ 31 Answers ]

I've suffered from depression for 4years and its getting to the stage of not coping! There are many causes of this and seeing a counselor didn't seem to help. Anti-depressants just seem to mask the symptoms, any suggestions? Please help can't cope anymore?

Depression? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a best friend who is depressed or I believe is depressed we tell each other prettymuch everything if she talks about depressed things listening to her over and over pretty much the same thing over and over worrying about her and everything in my life make me depressed to :confused:

Depression or What? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been sad for almost a year or so. I don't know if that calls "depression". I cry very often, and I hate seeing people around. When I think of my family and my friend (if I even have one), I'll be very disappointed. Everyone in my family is married except me and my second whom already had a...

Depression [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently been dumped by my longterm partner and have been seriously depressed since. I cannot manage to eat hardly anything, I'm tetchy, irritable, have difficulty sleeping, have nightmares when I do sleep, can't get up in the morning, and I have times when I can only cry, I usually end up...

View more questions Search