Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babygirlGPSTL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 01:16 PM
    I want out of my relationship
    I have been with the same guy for eight years. We have been engaged for the last three. We recently moved in together and things are not so perfect. I don't have unrealistic expectations, but I thought things would be better than this. I recently told him I want out of this relationship and all he can say is " I don't want you to leave". Is this good enough. I need to know if I should leave or stay.:confused:
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 01:19 PM

Want to give us more background on the relationship perhaps starting with WHY you want to leave?
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Jul 21, 2009, 01:19 PM

You should ask him (my opinion) how would he feel if you decided to leave the relationship (like you said before) whether he wants you to leave or not? See what he says. You don't have to say it in those words.

I personally don't think that "I dont want you to leave" is enough.
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Jul 21, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Yeah ChiMomma has a point
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 01:22 PM
    If you think you should leave, then leave. You cannot be afraid to make, what you believe to be, the right choice.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 01:24 PM
    If your not happy then don't stay. Life is to short. What will you do stay because he doesn't want you to leave and marry and be miserable for years? Your wasting both your times if you stay. What's your history like? Are you in love with him?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 01:24 PM

Sounds like you didn't know him very well before moving in together. Now you have a better idea of who he really is.

It doesn't matter what he wants. What do you want?

1) Relationships are based on hard work (including progress) and happiness. But hard work should happen naturally.

2) If you are unhappy and feel that there isn't any progress, then chances are it's time to call it quits.
    3) Suffering is not part of a healthy relationship.

Based on these factors, you have to decide what you think is best.
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 01:48 PM

You really don't know someone until you live with them. Yes, you have been together for 8 years and you think you know everything about them, but once you start seeing each other day in day out, start picking up each others dirty underwear off the floor, and dealing with the not so pleasing aspects of living with someone... it makes you start to think if this is what you want.

I would try to work things out and communicate more with him. Be VERY specific on why you are not happy, if possible. I'm sure he will do his best to make an effort to salvage what is left. You have to tell him why you want to leave and why you are not happy the best you can, so he can understand.

If it's his living habits, tell him! If he stinks, tell him! If you don't feel loved anymore tell him!

Try to communicate and work your problems out before you make the final choice to leave. 8 years is a lot of hard work, time, and commitment to just throw away.

If it comes down to the fact that he is a slob and you can't live like that, tell him he needs to shape up his living habits, and until he does, you'll be staying at home or over a friends house. You can work it out that way too.
    Ivory0921 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 02:01 PM
    I'd have to agree with what everyone else said. I too lived in with my ex boyfriend after only knowing him for a few months. At first it was fun and we were "so inlove", but living together - especially when you're not ready, can set the relationship "off balance". It lets you see the other person 110% - which can take a turn for the worse. Perhaps you are now seeing sides of him that make the mystery and thrill of the relationship go away. You don't feel that excitement anymore since you two are together from when you wake up, to when you go to sleep.

About your question, if you aren't happy living with him, maybe you should try living apart, I know its hard to separate once you've been together, but it looks like you need your space. Heck, you might even save the relationship if you try it. If after living apart, you still find that you are unhappy, then I suggest moving on.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 02:38 PM

Moving in is a big adjustment and it will sometimes drive a huge wedge into your relationship, which you have found. Now, your decision needs to be based on communication with him and then deciding if it's worth the time.

No one on here is going to tell you exactly what to do.
    Tyesia13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2011, 11:47 PM
    I am going through similar situations, but my boyfriend and I do not stay together and thank God for that. I am so UNHAPPY in my relationship because I started to hate myself because I am with someone I am unhappy and miserable with. The best thing for you to do is break-up and with that being said I am going to take my own advice and do the same. I am sick and tired of being with this man because he completely destroyed my heart and soul so not its time for me to escape because something got to change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship problems in 2nd week of relationship [ 5 Answers ]

I'm hoping I can get some meaningful advice on my situation. If not, I really don't know what to do. The whole summer, a girl I work with had been trying to hook me up with this friend of hers who was interested in me. I saw a picture of her, and she was cute.. But everyone is cute, so if I...

I don't know what to do about my relationship [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend haven't been together that long but I really feel like I love him... I've been in love and had my heart broken but this relationship feels even better than the first one... I moved out of my house and into an apartment so we could spend more time together and for a while it was...

After a 4 year relationship I got tired of my relationship and broke up! What to do? [ 2 Answers ]

I’m a gay guy (36 yo) and I dated for 4 years this BI guy(40 yo), at the beginning it was a bit hard for me, I’m very comfortable with being gay! Came out 8 years ago, any way, at the beginning of the relationship I had to pretend in front of his friends that we were just friends, some times after...

18 and never has been in a relationship [ 5 Answers ]

Hey I'm 18 and I have never been in a relationship never had my first kiss or anytning... lately I have been really down because all my friends have boyfriends and girlfriends and I'm the only one who doesn't... when I'm around girls I shy and I don't no really how to flirt with them.. I always...

View more questions Search