Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Jul 19, 2009, 02:12 PM
    How to wire 2 switches on one power line
    I have one 12/2 wire coming into a box. It is on a 20 amp circuit. I have 4 recessed lights that I want to run off one dimmer switch and another light I want to run off another dimmer switch all in the same box. Can I attach 2 blacks to the first switch and then with the extra black, run that to the second switch? Do I have to run 2 different power supplies? Please help... I am experiencing much difficulty answering this question.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 02:42 PM

Yes, pigtail the blacks. Take two short pieces of black wire and wirenut them to the power. Then attach a resulting black to each dimmer.

Note that when you put two dimmers in a box, you usually have to remove a side. This reduces the rating of the dimmer. See the instructions.
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Jul 19, 2009, 02:52 PM

OK... thanks, what do you mean though by reduce the rate of the dimmer and remove a side... remove the side panel of the box?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 04:31 PM

The dimmer plate is designed for a single gang box to get the maximum heat sink area under the plate.

Usually when you put two of them side by side in the same box, they won't fit.

So, they are designed, so the sides of the heatsink can be removed.

If you had a 500 W dimmer, with one side removed you might get 400 W and with 2 sides removed you might get 300 W of capabiliy . Check the directions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One power source, two switches [ 2 Answers ]

If I have one power source coming in, do I just pigtail the black wire to the two swtches and wire nut the white wires together? Also do I pigtail the ground to the switchor just wire them all together?I am running 12-2 wire. And controlling two different light sources. Also on 15amp breaker,...

How to wire switches [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a old house found out a switch was bad I shut off the power and went to put a new switch in it has 12 3 wire Running to for power and 12 2 out to lights but the old switch was a singel pull My question is I wired it back the same what I thougfht but it does not work right I have...

Power feeds for two switches? [ 4 Answers ]

I am wiring my basement and I have two dimmer switches in one double receptical, do I need two power feeds to power the lights or is their away to do it with one? I am using 14/2 wire.

Is this the correct way to wire 2 switches? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am remodelling my bathroom and I am putting in a new light fixture and fan where they did not exist before, so I am running new cabling as well. If I have two switches in one box, one to control the fan and one to control the light - do I need two separate power lines into the box (one for...

No power to outlets/switches [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an electrical issue in my kitchen. I have 3 GFI's (one of which operates), 1 standard outlet and 2 switches (one which operates an exhaust vent and one for an overhead fluorescent light and the disposal. I only have current to the one GFI. The breaker is not tripped, nor is it hot to...

View more questions Search