Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ms_qxp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Finding Insurance Carrier by policy number
    I had a beligerent person back into me and they were not cooperative in providing information. I got them to show me the insurance card and I got the policy number and person's name, but not the carrier name... Is There any way to find the company name from the policy number?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 04:03 PM

Depending on your state

In GA a drivers insurance company is on record and the police will know it when they run his ID.

And if you turn it over to another insurance company they may know it by the type of Numbering used. You also should have gotten his drivers license number and address?

Jul 19, 2009, 07:11 PM

The state is AZ. The person Would Not show me their drivers licence. I did get a name from the insurance card... only wish I wrote down the carrier at the time... but I was bleeding and the family was arguing with at the time.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 09:14 PM

Were the police called? If so, the other driver's info should have been included on the report.

The only thing I can think of is as Chuck mentioned if you call different insurance companies they may recognize whether it's one of their policies by the numbering used. The only flaw with that, even within a certain company, the policy numbers are patterned differently according by state (so may not be helpful if the person was in AZ visiting).

Jul 20, 2009, 01:40 PM

I called the police and was told they don't file accident reports for accidents in parking garages. They just topld me to get the license number. My insurance company told me to try to track down which carrer the policy number I received was from or else I would have to file under my policy and they would try to recover the monies later.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 07:36 PM

Do you have any witnesses? If you at least have a witness that can attest to the fact that someone hit you (as opposed to you backing into something causing your own damage), your policy can cover your repairs if you have Coverage for Uninsured Motorists. Do you know if you have this?
    Doug1987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 09:57 AM
    If you did not get the Company name good luck finding the insurance company. Always copy all information off the ID card and ID. If they refuse to show you the information. Then call the police, they will respond in that case.

I always call the insurance Agent to verify current coverage or the insurance company. If they say the insurance is cancelled (in the state of Kansas) they will receive a 500 dollar fine. Get a suspended license, and have to carry a SR-22 Filling for one year before their license can be completely reinstated. Not to mention I will be prosecuting them for damages and loss of deductible for my vehicle.

Nikosmom specified Uninsured Motorist will cover damage to your vehicle. That is not true. Uninsured motorist and Underinsured motorist is for your Bodily injury and the other people in your vehicle only. Your vehicle's damage would be covered under your Collision coverage. Because someone collided with you.

I am a Professional Insurance Expert.
    Doug1987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 09:57 AM
    If you did not get the Company name good luck finding the insurance company. Always copy all information off the ID card and ID. If they refuse to show you the information. Then call the police, they will respond in that case.

I always call the insurance Agent to verify current coverage or the insurance company. If they say the insurance is cancelled (in the state of Kansas) they will receive a 500 dollar fine. Get a suspended license, and have to carry a SR-22 Filling for one year before their license can be completely reinstated. Not to mention I will be prosecuting them for damages and loss of deductible for my vehicle.

Nikosmom specified Uninsured Motorist will cover damage to your vehicle. That is not true. Uninsured motorist and Underinsured motorist is for your Bodily injury and the other people in your vehicle only. Your vehicle's damage would be covered under your Collision coverage. Because someone collided with you.

I am a Professional Insurance Expert.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After death finding insurance carrier [ 2 Answers ]

My mom recently died and we are unable to locate who she had life insurance with

Life insurance policy [ 1 Answers ]

I am new Life Insurance Agent, how I will find out potential person who is intersted to take insurance policy.

Life Insurance Policy [ 2 Answers ]

My mother died on 9/22/06 and I was told she had a life insurance policy but have yet to find it. She was married to a man who was a drug addict but he never knew that she had one. What are the steps that I need to take to find one on her or to see if she ever had one? Please someone let me know...

How do I find out whether my dad had an insurance policy? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I dind out whether my deceased dad had an insurance policy

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number. [ 1 Answers ]

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number.. ... will my SIN always be "connected" with my business? In other words, as far as Canada REvenue is concerned are they 2 different entities? I want to apply for Bus # for a sole propriatorship

View more questions Search