Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Will says sell mom's house and split between children is this cash taxable? $66,700
    I have gone through the probate court and paid all of my mother's bills
    and anything she owed to anyone. Her will stated her home must be sodl and the
    money be split between her four children. We sold her home
    at full appraisal value and are now ready to split the money between
    her four children. There is no money left in her estate, all bills have been paid,
    and all that is left is the money from the sale of her home. Is this cash
    taxable for any of the children. It is $16,400 per child.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 15, 2009, 01:24 AM

There is no federal tax on inheritances. Most of the states do not tax inheritances. For your state, check at the state web site.
    Even if the state taxes inheritances, there may be exemption for this amount.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 15, 2009, 10:41 AM
    There are also no federal or state estate taxes due to the low amount in the estate.

Distribute the money, as no taxes are due.

However, check with a local tax professional with estate tax expertise, because a fiduciary return (Form 1041) may be needed to properly account for the sale of the home.
    jennyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    There are also no federal or state estate taxes due to the low amount in the estate.

Go ahead and distribute the money, as no taxes are due.

However, check with a local tax professional with estate tax expertise, because a fiduciary return (Form 1041) may be needed to properly account for the sale of the home.

Thank you so much. Does the person handling the estate have to file the 1041 for the sale of the house?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Yes, because the house, as an estate asset, is NOT a personal home that is exempt from taxation on the capital gains.

I suspect that the house did NOT appreciate in value in the time between your mother's death and the date of the sale, but it might have. That is the reason the Form 1041 needs to be filed, to accurately account for any capital gain (or loss) on the sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Must I, by law, sell my (our) house in a divorce split? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband (no, my name is not dennis, I am a female.. don't know what got into me with this log in name! ).. - is threatening to serve me papers, and that I MUST agree to sell our house (so he can go off and buy another one in another (cheap) state.. and I, will undoubtedly get screwed, as where...

Computing Taxable Income and Cash Coverage Ratio [ 1 Answers ]

A firm has net income of $390, interest expense of $40 and depreciation of $50. The corporate tax rate is 35 percent. What is the Cash Coverage Ratio? a)9.75 b)10.67 c)11.00 d)14.41 e)17.25 My Attempt to the Question Cash Coverage Ratio = (EBIT + Depreciation)/ Interest

Brother won't leave mom's house after mom's death [ 3 Answers ]

Hello My mother died recently. My brother is the executor of the estate. He lived with my mother prior to her death. The will clearly states that of all of mom's posssessions go into an estate, get sold and then be evenly distributed among six siblings. My brother is refusing to put the...

Retired with children still at home - TAXABLE? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is retired. He receives Soc. Sec. and a small pension. Our two children still at home and I, also, receive Soc. Sec. checks. Most of our income is not considered "Taxable", and since we still have children at home and don't make a lot, we were told that we do not need to file income...

Is cash inheritance taxable [ 5 Answers ]

Is cash inheritance taxable

View more questions Search