Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brerich1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 03:48 PM
    fixing cement patio slope
    A contractor poured the 14 X14 foot patio pretty well, but left low areas where water /ice gathers. How thick should a second layer be to fine tune the top? What mix cement?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 04:17 PM

How deep are the puddles?
    No matter what you put on there it will be a band aid. All exterior concrete should have min 1/4" per ft slope.

If this is a new pour get the contractor back.

The definition of puddle in concrete is a nickle thick/deep. There are toppings for concrete but that expensive and doesn't look good in color as new concrete would.

Personally I would bite the bullet and rip out and pour it right. No worries. Pound for pound its the best solution in the long run.

The problem with pouring concrete over that Of 3" plus you run a big risk of water getting trapped between the layers and freezing and cracking the 2nd pour.

Snapping the concrete is easy with a bottle jack to lift it up and a sledge and digging iron. Hauling it away is the big cost.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 04:39 PM

I'd have to agree. Your definition of pretty well is probably hanging on general looks. Our definition is also on function. A flat or bellied pour is a poor pour.

Jul 14, 2009, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    How deep are the puddles?
    No matter what you put on there it will be a band aid. All exterior concrete should have min 1/4" per ft slope.

If this is a new pour get the contractor back.

The definition of puddle in concrete is a nickle thick/deep. There are toppings for concrete but that expensive and doesn't look good in color as new concrete would.

Personally I would bite the bullet and rip out and pour it right. No worries. Pound for pound its the best solution in the long run.

The problem with pouring concrete over that Of 3" plus you run a big risk of water getting trapped between the layers and freezing and cracking the 2nd pour.

Snapping the concrete is easy with a bottle jack to lift it up and a sledge and digging iron. Hauling it away is the big cost.
    Thanks for the good info - I don't think the owner will want to rip up the pad now and the contractor is ill now. So I'm on my own here. Iguess bonding agent, plymer additive, maybe and a 2 inch overlay will have to do it. Any mix recipe suggestions?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 05:38 PM

Any mix recipe suggestions?
    Maybe Bal1 has a good answer here. I pretty much stay out of residential concrete topping simply because It has bitten me in the butt to often in customers not likeing the looks and manufactures not backing the product

The only topping I use is a Master builders product which is more commercial industrial. Re surfacing floors that Tow motors drive over etc. Its actually more expensive then a new pour. But turn around time is quick for the factory. The wear hardness is incredible Up to a wear hardness of 9 "Anvil Top"

"Master Builders" based our of England not only back the product but the Job cost. They send reps out on install. The wildest product they have is "set 45" which means you can repair a concrete roadway pot hole and pull the barricades out in 45 min for truck/car traffic.

Bal don't know if you ever tried set 45. I also use in in concrete decking repair to plug up holes where mechanicals went through floor. Renovating a hospital, Could fill holes before lunch and lay VCT tile after lunch. Also for res. Concrete floors bathroom renovations. Flooring the same day. Just thought I pass that along..

Jul 14, 2009, 05:50 PM
    I pretty much stay out of residential concrete topping simply because It has bitten me in the butt

The only topping I use is a Master builders product which is more commercial industrial. Re surfacing floors that Tow motors drive over etc. Its actually more expensive then a new pour. But turn around time is quick for the factory. The wear hardness is incredible Up to a wear hardness of 9 "Anvil Top"
    Thanks again 21Boat.. . Hmm, I see this is more complicated than I thought. Maybe just some Quikrete Fast setting Patch (doesn't need bonding agent I'm told) to fill in those pesky low spots - they aren't deep. Though there are some rough raised swirl ridges too where the guy let his grandson horse into it... But a thin, 2" or so resurface pour is iffy...
    Well, looks like a puzzle. Thanks again, though. Brerich1
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 05:56 PM

Brerich1.

You might want to visit a real Masonry supply house and they have many different applications for this. Also they have the expertise on the actual products.

Jul 14, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Brerich1.

You might want to visit a real Masonry supply house and they have many different applications for this. Also they have the expertise on the actual products.

Okay, Great. Off to Builders Msaon Supply tomorrow... Thanks for the good advice and your time. Brerich1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cement patio, grading [ 2 Answers ]

I previously asked the question concerning the slope of a cement patio that abuts the foundation. The immediate answer was 1/4 inch per foot. Our local building inspector gave the same answer. The problem is, I can't find any reference to the standard in any version of the various building...

Concrete Patio over V-shape Slope [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Sir I would like to pour concrete patio of 20' x 10' in my back yard. However, the backyard is have slopes. i.e. From to the middle (approx. 8' a slope of 8" and from fence to same point is about 12' at drop of nearly 2'. So I construct a patio it will run over the drainage pipe. So to do...

Yard and Patio Drainage Slope [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting ready to build a Patio and Landscape my yard. What is the proper slope for drainage (per foot). Second part of same question. My neighbor's yard is higher than mine and I also need to slope mine more away from my house. Will I need to put in a retaining wall to prevent the water...

Need answer for concrete patio slope/expansion joints [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I am pouring a 18" stamped border around a patio. Most of it is covered and protected from the rain. The width of it is mostly 10' with a section that extends approximately 10X15', My question is the border completely forms around the middle patio section; therefore, sort "enclosing" this...

Sloping Cement Patio [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 14 x16 foot 9" thick cement patio with tiles on it. I want to make it into a sunroom. Right now the floor is sloped away from the house and the difference from the house to the edge of the patio is at least 3 1/2 inches sloped downward for drainage. I looked into leveling compound but...

View more questions Search