Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cat mamma Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Nursing cat emaciated won't eat.
    Hi, my cat has six 5 week old healthy kittens. She's been nursing them. Problem is she [1 year & 2 months old] is skin and bones, won't eat and has a large abscess on her toungue. I don't have the money to take her to the vet right now. I'm wanting to know what might be causing this and is there anything I can do at home to help her? I've already started to feed the kittens so she won't have to. Please help. Thank you, cat mamma
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 11:56 AM

She needs to go to the vet. FIND the money to take her. You shouldn't be letting your animals get pregnant if you can't afford the care they need.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 12, 2009, 12:00 PM

The mother cat is dying of starvation! Get her to a vet. Ask the vet if you can pay him through a bargain of some kind, like clean his house or bake for the staff. This is what people are doing now with their vets and doctors and dentists because money is so tight.

Jul 12, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    She needs to go to the vet. FIND the money to take her. You shouldn't be letting your animals get pregnant if you can't afford the care they need.
    You're absolutely right about the responsibility comment, however I sort of inherited the cat from the previouse home owner. It has two siblings same age. I just paid nearly 1,000.00 in vet bills for the male who had gotten wounded fighting. Got him neutered and emunized and they wouldn't even see him with out my debit visa card. Which they drew out the very next day. It's not about money, only right now I simply don't have any. I'm recently separated with three kids one disabled I'm pretty stretched. We love the cats feed the cats got them their shots, provide flea protection ID tags etc... It's just hard. I'm not trying to make excuses or give you a sad song. I will call the humane society first thing in the morning to see if they can help. I just hoped someone here might be familiar with this problem so that I can do something anything between now and Monday [tomorrow]. Her name is Smokey Smoke'ums. Don't worry I'll do what ever it takes to save her. Thanks for your help,
    cat mamma
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 06:02 PM

Sorry for coming off sounding so harsh, but it's serious and the cat is literally starving to death. An abscess on the tongue will make her unable to eat and she will die if she isn't looked at soon.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 12, 2009, 10:11 PM

My son sat up and nursed his cat when it got hit by a car. How did he do this by using a eye dropper and blending the cats food until it was runny and fed the cat every two hours during the day. Also gave the cat water that way to. Moose is now 9 years old and fat and sassy. He (the cat has been hit by cars 3 times). So try an eye dropper to feed your cat it might not hurt as much. Try real hard not to touch the abcess though.

Jul 13, 2009, 03:16 AM
    Thanks you guys. Since my last post she has managed to eat some soft can food and drink some water. A sister in my congregation is going to give me the # of a volunteer vet service that she once used. She said they take walk ins and will treat the pet then work out a payment plan with me based on my income and current situation. I was soooo, relieved as I'd never heard of this before. She's taking us [me and smokey smoke'ums] first thing this morning. Sariss you came across as more concerend than harsh. So I honestly understand. You too, must really love your pets. And auntswee I'm glad Moose is living long and doing good. Now if you or your son can just keep his fat little rump out of the street he may just make it for another 9yrs or longer. Thanks again both of you,
    cat mamma
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 05:38 PM

Any update?

Jul 14, 2009, 01:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Any update?
    Hello Sariss,
    We took her in this morning.Vet says she thinks it's a staph infection. Not sure of the cause. May be bacterial or fungal, any how had to leave her over night so they can do a complete blood profile, skin testing and a urinalysis. If it is staff, meds will be given depending on the strain. She said some strains are resistant to regular antibiotics. Won't know till test are complete. Had to com home and dispose of anything that might be contaminated, like we threw away her old cat bed and blankets, furry and feather toys. Also we may have to get her kittens and siblings treated too if it does turn out to be contagiuos. The good news is she is not starving to death although she is very thin. I think I must have really freaked out and over reacted a bit. Also her fluids were low so she was some what dehydrated. They'll give her something for it. I forgot what she said it was. Any how all we can do now is wait and pray. They had me fill out a few papers about my income etc... but that was only after they saw her. Guess they'll let me know about some payment arangements after they're done testing. I don't care how long it takes me to pay it off, at least she's getting help. All of us are so thankfull. We also have our hands full with feeding the kittens. They are beginning to eat the soft food in addition to the krm. They are also naturals at learning to use the litter box. After they eat we put them in two at a time and they go! Scratch around afterwards too! They are so fat and cute we just love them! Gonn'a be hard to let them go, but we do already have homes for all six. Well that's it for today. Thanks for caring, and take care Sariss.
    cat mamma

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nursing care plan with priority nursing dx [ 1 Answers ]

I need a priority nursing diagnosis from the nanda list for this patient. Patient c 92 yr old fell medical dx of C4 fracture and patient has a possible broken arm that patient can not move. Weight 75lbs.has neck immobilizer on, foley cat in, IV in with ns @ 75 cc/hr. on bed rest total care patient....

Nursing. How to. [ 1 Answers ]

I did an online college correspondence course to become a Medical Office Assistant. I want to further my education at this point and become an RN. What's my next step? Most of the colleges I've looked into seem to only have courses to go from RN to BSN. How do you become an RN, is it through...

Nursing [ 3 Answers ]

My baby spits up constantly has anyone else had this problem with their child if so what did you do?

Nursing cat [ 1 Answers ]

My cat has been nursing 5 weeks. The kittens are now gone. The cats nipples are still producing and are very swollen. Is this normal and if so when will this subside. Is there anything I should be aware of?

View more questions Search