Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelbs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 12:57 AM
    How to lighten my dyed dark red hair to a bright red?
    I have been to 3 different salons over the past year, and I bring in the same pictures and ask for the same color red (think lead singer of paramore or poison ivy in batman)... not once have I been able to get what I keep asking for. I have had my hair dyed dark brown, black, and even purple. To make it even more irritating, I know it is possible as I used to have my hair that color (yes, tried having the same person do it again, but that's how it got dyed black and purple)... I just got my hair dyed AGAIN today, and while it is the right color of red, it is WAY TOO DARK... it looks nearly black. I hate it! It has been nearly a year now that I have been trying to get this fixed and finally have the right red, just too dark... how can I fix it? Please help... (just to re-cap, got my hair dyed today... right color of red, but way too dark... I need to know how to get it brighter)

-well the most recent dye job that got it the right red, just too dark of red... used 3 different colors... I LOVE the color, HATE how dark it is, I just want to lighten and brighten... again think Paramore lead singer Hayley Williams...
    roshell Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jul 10, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Tyr bleaching your hair lightly or try using a stripper...
    joannearmstrong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 03:37 PM
    I have the same problem but my roots go the right colour but rest my hair stays same!
    mizzfantasy89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2010, 01:22 PM
    You need to strip your hair using a hair stripper paying attention at the bottom because that's where usually dyes appear darker because of other dyes plus hair is older at the bottom. Then use a blonde hair dye all over your hair you need to make it look bright orange or blonde before applying red to make it shocking.
    I did this today!! My hair is naturally mousy brown and for the past 5 months I've had a darkest brown in my hair I decided yesterday that I want to go bright red. What I did is I bought a hair stripper to remove my dye it make my hair go like a sort of a light browny copper. Then I used blonde hair dye all over my hair. My roots became really blonde as my natural hair is light brown, the rest of my hair became orangeish, good enough but I was worried my ends would look darker red. So today I bought another blonde hair dye and put some powder bleach peroxide in the hair dye I mixed it together so my hair can lighten at the bottom. They went much brighter so it's a good sign.I put my rec on its beautifullll I love it its bright
    mizzfantasy89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2010, 01:22 PM
    You need to strip your hair using a hair stripper paying attention at the bottom because that's where usually dyes appear darker because of other dyes plus hair is older at the bottom. Then use a blonde hair dye all over your hair you need to make it look bright orange or blonde before applying red to make it shocking.
    I did this today!! My hair is naturally mousy brown and for the past 5 months I've had a darkest brown in my hair I decided yesterday that I want to go bright red. What I did is I bought a hair stripper to remove my dye it make my hair go like a sort of a light browny copper. Then I used blonde hair dye all over my hair. My roots became really blonde as my natural hair is light brown, the rest of my hair became orangeish, good enough but I was worried my ends would look darker red. So today I bought another blonde hair dye and put some powder bleach peroxide in the hair dye I mixed it together so my hair can lighten at the bottom. They went much brighter so it's a good sign.I put my rec on its beautifullll I love it its bright
    thatgirl10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2010, 06:26 PM
    I have the Same problem! I am looking to achieve exactly what you are describing, with the lead singer of paramore in mind too. I have taken pics to hairdressers and have come out with dark brownish/red hair, nothing like what I asked for (although it looked nice!).
    Because my hair was was so dark there was no way to brighten it until my light hair came through again (I am naturally blonde).. So I went to the hairdressers and paid $250 to put blonde foils in my hair, and now its like a dull blonde/red colour (not nice). I am hoping to turn it the bright red I originally wanted but am worried about it coming out the wrong colour YET AGAIN.
    Did you manage to get what you wanted, and if so, how??
    madddssss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2010, 10:07 PM
    I know it's a lot of upkeep, but use pillarbox manic panic. I know it's semi, but I've been using it a few months now and have hair as bright, even brighter than
    Haley Williams.
    I've tried permanents, and they never turn out bright enough.. Example; tonight, my beautiful bright light red turned super dark red. And I doubt I'll be able to get it that red ever again because, I can't bleach my hair anymore, it'll fall out. D;
    taayxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 12:08 PM
    Comment on mizzfantasy89's post
    What box colour blonde did you use?x
    bebagina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2011, 10:13 AM
    They have a color called extream color I have the exact color your looking for now
    Ashleigh.xo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 09:16 AM
    I dyed my hair several times before it got to the red I wanted! First I bleached it with live xxl platinum blonde, then used live xxl bright red, then I used the xxl again and it still wasn't bright enough so I re bleached it and used stargazer. The stargazer really worked but it is terrible to handle! It stained my skin, my bathtub and my pillow the night following! So if you do want to go red, you really need to take procautions. After a while many people started dyeing their hair red so I went pink, got bored of pink and dyed it back to a natural brown. But I'm re dying my hair again soon so my advice to you would be

1. USE GLOVES.
    2. if you use a brand such a stargazer, manic pannick, directions etc, then vaseline your skin on your forehead, ears and neck, this will prevent the dye from staining your skin.
    3. get permission from whoever owns the house if you don't want to be grounded for staining the bath!
    4. if you use bleach, also buy aussie shampoo and conditioner, I use this the whole time I dye my hair and it keeps it in tip top condition,
    5. the dyes say to dye your hair when its dry, but I find it works a lot better when its damp!
    6. you could always try keeping the dye on for longer. I usually keep it on for 20 minutes longer but serious conditioning after!
    7. a word of advice, stargazer, directions whatever don't last long, you need to top it up, a lot!

GOOD LUCK.
    casattack23. Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 05:37 AM
    Hi, I have blonde hair on top (bleached) and dark red hair underneath, I plan on going rihanna red, I watched loadsa vids on YouTube of other girls doing it and now my plan of action is...

1) bleach the bottom of my hair (where the dark red is) to make it ginger

2) mix 1 tube of majicontrast red with 75ml of 30vol cream peroxide

3) apply, wash , condition, dry and style and I plan on using crazy colour fire red, or manic panic to keep the brightness if it is needed.

By the way my natural hair colour is dark brown

casattack23. Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 05:38 AM
    Hi, I have blonde hair on top (bleached) and dark red hair underneath, I plan on going rihanna red, I watched loadsa vids on YouTube of other girls doing it and now my plan of action is...

1) bleach the bottom of my hair (where the dark red is) to make it ginger

2) mix 1 tube of majicontrast red with 75ml of 30vol cream peroxide

3) apply, wash , condition, dry and style and I plan on using crazy colour fire red, or manic panic to keep the brightness if it is needed.

By the way my natural hair colour is dark brown

Katiefritz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 01:18 PM
    Goldwell makes a demi permanet RRMix, It last a lot longer then Manic Panic, I use a 30 developer with it. But if your hair is a darker red, try washing heavily with baby shampoo or purell, this think green shampoo, that will help get rid of the color, and use a mild bleaching kit on your hair to get it light enough to have the color develop properly otherwise it will always be to dark.
    danitamara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2011, 09:13 AM
    I have the same problem, I once had black hair but then I went to hair dressers got it bleeched so it looked white then they stook a red dye on it, the first couple of days was nice but when I washed it the colour went straight away, Since then I used a live bright red but even then it made my hair darker, I been using some semi permant bright red manic or something like that, and now I've just tried crazy colour fire red, that still hasn't helped, at first it goes bright but when I blow dry it it goes really dull. I haven't got a clue what to do.
    DaniDani Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
    I heard that spraying your hair with just the peroxide would lighten your hair gradually, it's less damaging and you can stop when you think it's enough :) I had really bright red hair 2 days ago and I don't know how but my mum convinced me to make it darker.. I used a medium ash brown colour and it's super dark red now, I even have some spots black :( which sucks, so I'm going to try the peroxide and see if it get's lighten again! And by the way, there's an AWESOME red hair dye that is so bright! And it's for dark hair, you don't even need to use bleach! It's called majicontrast red by loreal :)
    Good luck!
    Brandie45743 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 08:04 PM
    Use l'oreal excellence hicolor in red with a 40 vol developer. My hair was DARK brown, nearly black and I didn't need to bleach it. It's bright red like Ariana Grande's hair. I love it. (Don't use the "intense red", the name is misleading. The "red" is the brightest color)
    brookielalaasdh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 06:49 PM
    Wow lols I just literally did my hair today. My hair is almost black. I bleached it till it was orange,
    And then I dried it and put the red on. It worked and it looks exactly like hayley williams. You have to lighten your hair before you dye. The red doesn't show up. Think about it. WOuld you try coloring red on a picture you printed in black? It doesn't show up. Or if you have a painting that's shaded in grey and you want some color. It all blends darker. You have to just barely bleach it. Just so that it looks like you are a ginger or something it doesn't have to be bleach blonde. Just lighter
    amoore-kd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 02:59 AM
    How do I get my hair verry vibrant red like rhianas was in the music vide what's my name by using home dies ?
    gem baby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2012, 11:46 PM
    bleach it up 1st bbe the blonder it is the brighter it will be :) then use stargazer , paint box , directions crazy colour fire red ma fav that's what I use all semis n ye it stains like hell so b careful wear gloves old clothes vasaline round neck and hairline n old towels n bed sheets lol x good luck x
    Sidrah Hussain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 06:44 AM
    I have naturally dark black hair and used XXL red live colour and my hair looks purple! I want it to be bright red is it possible?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dyed too dark. Can I redye today to attempt to lighten? [ 4 Answers ]

My original color is dark brown. However, I am 54 yrs old so have lots of gray. I've been getting blond highlights. Last night, I attempted to darken my hair with Revlon, Colorsilk, #47, medium brown. My hair turned out almost black. Can I attempt another color today to lighten the effect? ...

How to lighten dyed hair [ 2 Answers ]

HELP PLEASE! I have died my naturally light brown hair too dark and hate it. I went back to the store and bought a lighter shade and used it to no avail. I have read some of the other posts and do not understand what peroxide 20 is?? I have used three different dyes now on three consecutive...

How do I lighten my dark dark "brown" dyed hair? [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my hair dyed 2 times before, and I tried to go for a lighter brown then my natural colour (medium brown) and each time it turned orange after a couple of weeks. Last night I went to get my hair dyed again, and I wanted a darker brown, so my hair would not turn orange. When my hair was...

How can I lighten my dyed dark auburn hair? [ 1 Answers ]

My hair was dyed at the salon but turned out really dark auburn. I wanted light brown. It has been two weeks. I tried washing it with dawn dish soap but nothing happened. Any suggestions?

Advise on how to lighten hair that was dyed too dark [ 1 Answers ]

I have naturally dark brown hair. I colored it at home using a dark brown color (cornsilk #613) and it turned out black. Now when I look at myself that is all I see. Is there anything that can be done at home to lighten my hair? I've heard to use prell, laundry soap, dish soap or dandruff shampoo....

View more questions Search