Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Max5150 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2009, 05:12 AM
    Can you wire ceiling fan for dual switch and still use remote?
    I have a ceiling fan that has a remote that works fine. However, when entering the room, I would like to turn the light on with the wall switch rather than the remote at night. I keep the remote at the nightstand. Existing setup is two switches on wall at entrance that use to control one for fan and other for light. I capped the black at the celing and used the red. I can turn on the light once at the wall if the light was on and I had used the switch to turn off the fan and light. However, it will not work the second time. I hope I'm making sense. In other words, it cycles one time and will not turn on again. I have to turn the light on with the remote, turn off the fan and light with the wall switch. Then turn on once again and repeat. Sounds like I may need to use the other switch (black). Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 08:28 AM

OK here is the rub. You can use that wall switch to trun on the fan only if you had the fan running and shut it down via the wall switch. If you turn off the fan via the remote then you can't restart it with the wall switch. The wall switch and the remote are wired in series, both must be on for it to work. Shutting off either will stop the fan.

Jul 8, 2009, 12:09 PM

You would think that's how it would work, but it doesn't. If the fan is on or the light for that matter, and you turn it off at the switch, they will not turn back on using the switch , you have to use the remote. I was wondering if I used the other switch(black) also, would that correct this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 05:57 PM

"the other switch(black) " which switch is this?

Jul 9, 2009, 04:49 AM

The original ceiling fan(no remote) was on a dual switch. One switch turned on the light (red wire) and the other turned on the fan (black). The new ceiling fan has a remote. I capped the black because the receiver calls for one hot.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 05:23 AM

I think you have something backwards or switched. Maybe the receiver? Generally the receiver for a remote has:
    A hot wire to the ceiling
    A neutral wire to the ceiling
    A hot wire to the fan light
    A hot wire to the fan speed
    A neutral wire to the fan

Different brands use somewhat different colors coming from the fan, usually a black for the speed, a black/white for the light (or blue or any combination of colors) and white (neutral).

How did you wire your remote receiver? If you originally had two switches, one for the light and one for the speed and you're now going to use a remote, you only need one switch. Does that make sense? Because the remote is what separates the light and fan speed controls now. And let me ask you this? Were there only two switches for the fan that was previously there? Right next to each other? In the same box? Or did you have another switch on the other side of the room (3-way)?

Jul 10, 2009, 10:13 AM

That's the problem. If I have the fan on and walk into the room. The light will not turn on with the wall switch in the on position. I need to somehow incorporate the two switches independently to the receiver rather than cap one.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 10:27 AM

If you have the switch in the on position, from there it's all controlled by the remote. If you use the switch to shut if off, then the remote doesn't work because you've killed the power. Is this correct?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 01:33 AM

Sorry, you can not control most remote fans from both the remote and the wall switch. Leave the wall switch on, control with the remote.
    Alkatraz22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2010, 08:23 PM
    I had same problem. This is how to resolve it;

1) Buy a second remote programmed to work with the fan and light
    2) Always leave the fan and or light switch on ( I actually removed the switches and hardwired it "on")
    3) Mount the second remote at the switch plate (where the normal switch is)

That way, when I enter or leave the room, I can use the mounted "remote" to turn on/off the lights/fan when needed. And then, at night, I use the
    Remote at the bed to turn off/on fan/light when needed.

Done!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring diagram for dual switch ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

OK... I know asked 100 times before... but could someone make sense of this for me. I just about get it... then all the colors start giving me nightmares and I loose it. Here's what I have Power source Black and white wire White connects to switch plates red wire Black power source...

Can anyone tell me how to wire 3 speed 4 wire switch for heritage farm ceiling fan [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: Need help my chain broke no light in kitchen no fan working:) :)

Trying to wire a 3 speed, 4 wire ceiling fan switch [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 3 speed 4 wire ceiling fan switch for an Aloha Breeze 52" ceiling fan. The original fan switch fell apart when I tried to see how it was connected. I have to connect black (hot wire), grey, orange and purple wires to the switch (L,1,2,3). The orange and purple wires come...

Ceiling Fan Dual Switch - Wires don't match up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! I just intalled a harbor breeze ceiling fan, and followed the wiring instructions specific to having both the fan and the lights controlled by switches, as opposed to a chain. I then purchased a "Cooper 4 Speed Fan/Light Dual Control" switch and am stuck with two questions that I...

Ceiling Fan with a Dual Switch [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to put in a ceiling fan that was pre-wired to a dual light switch. When I took down the original light I found that I had lots of wires in the box. I had two white wires together, and two black wires, I also have a single white wire, a single red wire, single black wire, and a...

View more questions Search