Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UniQQ Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Bleeding from the penis
    Hello. I was wondering if anyone knows why this happens? I took him to the vet and they did all kids of tests and still don't know why he bleeds. Its not a lot but its enough to scare me. I hope its not bad. Its only happened in the past 3 - 4 months, on and off. Thank you
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 21, 2006, 12:46 PM
    What breed? Picture is dark is he a Boxer? What tests? What food? Bright red blood or dark? Any Hx of HBC (hit by car)? Neutered? Keep a journal of when you notice the blood. Is it usually at certain times of the day?
    Thanks,D

Oct 21, 2006, 02:46 PM
    He is a american pitbull/Staffordshire. He is 7 years old. He had exrays, blood tests, urine tests, ultrasound etc.. He is eating pedigree healthy maturity. Never hit by car or anything. Not neutered yet ( few more days he will be ). Its usually at night but only last about an hour. Then stops. His blood is bright red. Thanks for your time

Oct 21, 2006, 03:10 PM
    First, Kudos to you for getting him neutered! Better late than never!!

Bright red indicates new fresh blood. Did they do an ultrasound? Or maybe he has a polyp. Ask if they can check inside his sheath when he gets neutered.

Now without thinking I am a total weirdo is his problem 3pm-7pm? Slightly earlier or later? And what type of personality does he have? Nervous, skittish? Scared of loud noises or a sensitivity to noise? Thiristy, likes salty foods? Has trouble getting up after a long period of laying? Was he the runt of the litter?

Other signs or symptoms- dry cough, dry, hot skin, easy overheating, constipation, dry mouth, vomiting?

Oct 21, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Ultasound was done. The bleeding is around 8 - 10pm. He was the biggest out of the litter, 102 lps . ( I raised all 13 ) his personality is a bully to male dogs and loves girl dogs lol. He is pretty calm. Very good guard dog and very gentle. He doesn't have problems getting up. He does have allergies ( gets ear infections and turns a little pink ) that happens every 4 - 5 months. As for food he will eat anything I mean anything you give him but we haven't been giving him human food because the vet thinks he has food allergies. He is in heat and is hardly eatting at all. We have a female dog who is 9 moths and is starting to mature. She is also getting spayed. He wines all day and night lol. I think that's about all. Thanks again for your help

Oct 21, 2006, 04:00 PM
    See you lightened up the picture. What a handsome boy! Sounds like it could be testosterone related. However, I would change his food FOR SURE! Pedigree is one of the worst foods and has a very similar ingredient list to Ol'Roy. This is what his problem with the food probably is WAY before anything you could give him from the table. Read this site http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1 Change the diet and most of the time the ear problems will go away! Proof is in the puddin' so to speak.
    The reason for all the silly questions was to look at it through a TCVM aspect. I am not familiar enough with it to make any type of judgement unless it was cookie cutter and it is not.
    So neutering and a food change should give you back your healthly wonderful buddy!
    D
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2006, 04:12 PM
    You really need to keep working with your vet on the blood. If your vet doesn't find something soon, perhaps try a different vet. I promise you it is not the chow, and switching to a more expensive one won't help.

The current rash of attacks on Pedigree and other dog chows is nonsense. Oh, there are websites supporting it, but then there are websites suggesting wearing tin foil hats to protect yourself from government thought control rays.

and Goldens. They provided all the medical care for most of them the first year. At the end of it, they did a complete physical including hip X-rays on all of them. They then spent $35,000 training them before giving them away. They have a large data base of breeding records. Dogs with any physical or temperamental problems are unfit for the program and are a waste. Their well equipped clinic and vet staff are available for serious problems as long as the dog is working. When the dog is no longer able to work, it is replaced at again the $35,000 plus a large emotional upheaval for the person depending on the dog. They have experimented with different diets and exchanged data with other such breeders. Don't you think that what ever they are feeding is healthy and safe? What kinds of controlled studies do you have backing your choice of diet? How objective are the sources of your information? Is your dog's health, their top priority?

I have been raising puppies since 1991 for a large dog guide school that does exactly that. What do they feed? They instruct us to feed Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy chow until 4 months and then switch to adult Pro Plan chicken and rice. I know enough of the people with the trained dogs to know they continue the Pro Plan. The group I meet with monthly for training includes people that have raised puppies for 6 different service dog schools. Some of them are feeding other premium commercial chows including Iams and Eukanuba. Any dog owner wanting a healthy, long lived dog can make this regimen work, leaving more time to spend on the dog. It is also relatively economical.

Oct 21, 2006, 04:42 PM
    I am 99% certain that a food change WILL in fact solve the ear infection problem!

I don't know why you are so offended with another persons opinion. I do have testing as you asked for as proof. I also have information if you care to look at it from FDA and USDA on they types of crap that goes into commercial pet food. Do you work for one of these companies?

I have no stake in what type of food anyone buys. I DO KNOW from the years of education, practice, continued training and etc that diet has a HUGE impact on our pets.

I have a very closer friend who raises puppies for CCI and actually gets food for free from a nationally known company for her Search and Rescue dog. She chooses to purchase her food which is one of several that are not available at a grocery store to fed her dogs and gives the other away to a shelter.

"Don't you think that what ever they are feeding is healthy and safe?" No frankly I do not! And I have a right to that opinion and have in no way attacked you or your opinion on this matter. If you had taken the time to read the websites I listed you would have seen the research done and I don't recall one of them asking for us to wear tin hats. However, if you want to fed your dog corn and road kill be my guest. I didn't and won't spend $35,000 on any one of my animals over their lifetime, but I still choose to fed them the best I can afford. And it isn't one your Labs eat!

What kinds of controlled studies do you have backing your choice of diet? Again, read the research!!

How objective are the sources of your information? Just as objective as Purina would be on their foods!

Is your dog's health, their top priority? Just as important as Nestle or Proctor and Gamble!

Good Day Sir!

Oct 21, 2006, 04:45 PM
    References

Association of American Feed Control Officials Incorporated. Official Publication 2001. Atlanta: AAFCO, 2001.

Barfield, Carol. FDA Petition, Docket Number 93P0081/CP1, accepted February 25, 1993.

Becker, Ross. “Is your dog’s food safe?” Good Dog! November/December 1995, 7.

Cargill, James, MA, MBA, MS, and Susan Thorpe-Vargas, MS. “Feed that dog! Part VI.”DOGworld, December 1993, 36.

Case, Linda P. M.S. Daniel P. Carey, D.V.M. and Diane A. Hirakawa, Ph.D. Canine and Feline Nutrition: A Resource for Companion Animal Professionals. St. Louis: Mosby, 1995.

Coffman, Howard D. The Dry Dog Food Reference. Nashua: PigDog Press, 1995.

Corbin, Jim. “Pet Foods and Feeding.” Feedstuffs, July 17, 1996, 80-85.

Knight-Ridder News Syndicate. “Nature’s Recipe Recalls Dog Food That Contains Vomitoxin.” August 28, 1995.

Morris, James G. and Quinton R. Rogers. “Assessment of the Nutritional Adequacy of Pet Foods Through the Life Cycle.” Journal of Nutrition, 124 (1994): 2520S-2533S.

Newman, Lisa. What’s in your pet’s food? Tucson & Phoenix: Holistic Animal Care, 1994.

New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets. 1994 Commercial Feed Analysis Annual Report. Albany: Division of Food Inspection Services, 1995.

Parker, J. Michael. “Tainted dog food blamed on corn.” San Antonio Express News, April 1, 1999.

“Petfood activist.” Petfood Industry, September/October 1991, 4.

Pet Food Institute. Fact Sheet 1994. Washington: Pet Food Institute, 1994.

Phillips, Tim, DVM. “Rendered Products Guide.” Petfood Industry, January/February 1994, 12-17, 21.

Pitcairn, Richard H. D.V.M. Ph.D. and Susan Hubble Pitcairn. Dr. Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats. Emmaus: Rodale, 1995.

Plechner, Alfred J. DVM, and Martin Zucker. Pet Allergies: Remedies for an Epidemic. Inglewood: Wilshire Book Co. 1986.

Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, Division of Agriculture. 1994 Report of the Inspection and Analysis of Commercial Feeds, Fertilizers and Liming Materials. Providence: Division of Agriculture, 1995.

Roudebush, Philip, DVM. “Pet food additives.” JAVMA, 203 (1993): 1667-1670.

Just some of the studies and research done;
    Rouse, Raymond H. “Feed Fats.” Petfood Industry, March/April 1987, 7.

Sellers, Richard. “Regulating petfood with an open mind.” Petfood Industry, November/December 1990, 41-44.

Smith, Caring A. “Research Roundup: Changes and challenges in feline nutrition.” JAVMA 203 (1993), 1395-1400.

Strombeck, Donald. R. Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Foods: The Healthful Alternative. Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1999.

Winters, Ruth, M.S. A Consumer’s Dictionary of Food Additives. New York: Crown, 1994.

Wysong, R. L. “The ‘complete’ myth.” Petfood Industry, September/October 1990, 24-28.

[Wysong, R. L.] Fresh and Whole: Getting Involved in Your Pet’s Diet. Midland: Wysong Corporation, 1990.

Wysong, R. L. Rationale for Animal Nutrition. Midland: Inquiry Press, 1993.
    dannysmom Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2006, 04:51 PM
    What about a bladder infection

Oct 21, 2006, 05:14 PM
    LOL thanks for bringing me back to reality. The vet did check for that!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2006, 08:17 PM
    Yes you can document that many dog foods contain what you say is crap. The trouble is your lovely young theory that the ''crap'' harms dogs went out into the world and got raped by the gang of brutal facts that dogs thrive on the crap filled food by the millions.

And I don't for your snide remarks.

Oct 22, 2006, 12:23 AM
    Thanks guys for all your info. I really appreciate it. Im sorry you guys didn't get along. Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lump on penis [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a small concern which I don't think is too seriuos but I wouldn't mind clearing things up. I have a lump, more of a sweling just inder the hood of my penis, it is long and wraps around it as if it's a vein or something, it is quite lumpy itself. But the weird thing is it only...

Curved penis [ 5 Answers ]

May I know if wearing boxers or positioning your penis upward (when not erected) would help your penis be "straight" because my penis curves downward (erect) and I wear briefs. I think wearing briefs is my reason why my penis curves downward because when I've got an erection, it prevents/blocks my...

View more questions Search