Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michael99 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Can I put a jute backed rug on a laminate without a rug pad or will it ruin thefloor
    I have a Pergo laminate floor and I want to buy a jute backed rug to put on part of the floor. Do I need a rug pad (and what kind) or can I just lay the rug without ruining the laminate flooring.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 11:08 PM

Jute backing is slightly abrasive. Carpet will look better and last longer if u use padding.

Fiber padding will work best. Rubber or foam will break down over time and stick to flooring.

Chuck
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 12:45 AM

Pergo laminate floor
    Pergo floors need to float and expand and contract. Now that the warning is in a Jute back carpet is installed only three ways.

1. It is glued down
    2. The other is a tackles with a foam padding Or
    3. A carpet padding under it and installed as tacked

The whole reason Jute back is made is it's a better stronger thicker remnant. A foam back is cheaper to do it all in one and they ware out quicker. The rule of thumb is spend more on a quality padding for the jute back.

Is this going in tackles. Meaning tack strips on the sides to install. Also all carpets of any standard room size MUST be stretched to install properly. A carpet kicker is not a carpet stretcher. Need to rent a carpet stretcher to install Jute back because its to hard to get tight with a carpet kicker.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Pergo floors need to float and expand and contract. Now that the warning is in a Jute back carpet is installed only three ways.

1. It is glued down
    2. The other is a tackles with a foam padding Or
    3. A carpet padding under it and installed as tacked

The whole reason Jute back is made is its a better stronger thicker remnant. A foam back is cheaper to do it all in one and they ware out quicker. The rule of thumb is spend more on a quality padding for the jute back.

Is this going in tackles. Meaning tack strips on the sides to install. Also all carpets of any standard room size MUST be stretched to install properly. A carpet kicker is not a carpet stretcher. Need to rent a carpet stretcher to install Jute back because its to hard to get tight with a carpet kicker.
    Hi Boat21

Poster stated ''part of floor'' which would indicate an area rug.

1. Jute is rarely glued down. Can not use padding or stretch carpet. As u stated, carpet will wear faster if padding is not used.

2. Foam padding is made with air in it. After a few years, starts to break down and stick to floor. Rubber padding will also break down over time and stick to floor. "Hair" padding will also break down, but the residue it leaves is basically a dust.

3. Tack installation was used before tackless method came about. Have not seen this in many years.

A carpet power stretcher is not an easy think to use. If stretched too much will tear jute backing. A carpet kicker does stretch the carpet and is less likely to tear the jute back.

Chuck
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi Boat21

3. Tack installation was used before tackless method came about. Have not seen this in many years.

Chuck
    Hey chuck,
    I work in a flooring store and we use tack strip everyday. You said you haven't seen it in many years, but its out there. That's all our installers use and the surrounding installers. Unless it's a glue down.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 88sunflower View Post
    Hey chuck,
    I work in a flooring store and we use tack strip everyday. You said you havent seen it in many years, but its out there. Thats all our installers use and the surrounding installers. Unless its a glue down.
    Hi 88 sunflower

Using tack strips is called a tackless installation.

I said a tack installation is old hat. This is when the carpet is stretched and nailed down with carpet tacks. The padding is cut about 1'' short of wall and carpet is folded into this space and nailed.

Chuck
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi 88 sunflower

Using tack strips is called a tackless installation.

I said a tack installation is old hat. This is when the carpet is stretched and nailed down with carpet tacks. The padding is cut about 1'' short of wall and carpet is folded into this space and nailed.

Chuck
    Yep your right. So sorry I was reading it the wrong way. Pay attention! Lol
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 11:25 AM

Not a problem. Have done that myself. LOL

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:13 PM

Creahands
    Poster stated ''part of floor'' which would indicate an area rug.
    I don't see anywhere where an Area rug was mentioned which is a throw rug. The area is going to be carpeted period. The poster was wanting to cover part of the finisded floor to brake it up and use jute back carpet. Since there is already a finish floor there and not a plywood sub floor this seems to explains the question about padding or not since the poster mind is already stuck on that there is already a finish floor down. If he was looking at a ply floor then the application here would be padding under the Jute back carpet that's done all the time and the question probably wouldnt' be here.

Tacking down carpet is still done today in very small areas especially rental property's. Its basic. Tack one edge use a kicker and while kicked tack the other edge. Been installing carpet for 30 years... also install resilient flooring

To clear this all up a jute back should have foam padding under it and that is tacked down. The Jute back over that installed as "tackles" meaning not tacked all over the floor areas. Foam carpets are a sensitive to a carpet stretcher and that is why there is an adjustment on the kicker so the steel pins grab just enough to hold. ALL carpets of normal room size should have a carpet stretcher to install. If not when it stretches out later you will get wrinkles in it and it will wear out faster. A kicker is also used in tandem with a carpet stretcher.

The biggest confusion people have and it happened here is "Tackles" means to use "Tack strips" The reason for this confusion is because the carpet in the old days was "tacked" tacked down in the whole area.

So the inventor reversed those tacks and put them in a strip. It a head wrap around thing here. Kind of the near sited far sited thing
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:12 PM

21boat

The poster is worried about damage to laminate floor. Tacking down padding and carpet would damage floor. Foam padding will break down over time and damage floor.

If the jute carpet is not wall to wall, the edges will have to be bound for looks and to resist unraveling.

U install wall to wall carpet without tackless (tack strips)?

If carpet does not go wall to wall, no matter the size, it would be an area rug. Oriental rug is one type of area rug.

A throw rug can be easily moved from one space to another because it is small in size. Size. An example would be carpet in bathroom or front door.

I think our terminology may be different because we do not live in same area.

I also have been installing carpet for many years.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 12:17 AM

Hi creahands I'm laughing because here we are all going on about this and that and what's missing here as it happens so many times. Wheres the person asking the question on the get go?.

Jul 9, 2009, 11:29 AM

I posted this question. I am talking about an area rug approximately 8' X 10' in a room approximately 16" X 20". It will not be tacked down. Sorry for the confusion.

The room is approximately 16' X 20' not inches.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 9, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Hi Michael...

I would install a NON- SLIP padding for this application. It will protect the floor AND it will keep the carpet from sliding/slipping... see image... sold at most carpet stores and some home improvement stores... ;) Have them cut it so it is 1" shorter in width and length so the pad will not peek through the edges when the carpet is laid down over the pad.

All I use on my area rugs.

MARK
    Attached Images

Jul 20, 2009, 03:27 PM

MassPlumber

What is this padding made of e.g. foam, rubber etc. Thanks for your help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 04:10 PM
    This padding comes in various styles... vinyl, foam, etc. Check out this link for more info.:

Google Image Result for http://www.wundergrip.com/images/Wundergrip.jpg

You can find the vinyl type in almost all carpet stores.. available in many different sizes.

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will sex ruin my relationship [ 11 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for about a few months now. We've went out and dates and stuff like that. We've kissed and stuff like that. We have become really close and I've been considering to have sex with him. I am a virgin but I'd like my first time to be with him. Do u think that by having...

Applying laminate tile in kitchen on top of laminate tiles [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I had a question about applying those Armstrong laminate faux tile in my kitchen. The kitchen already has (at least one) layer of laminate flooring on it. There is an imperfection as well, where the flooring isn't level. I called a flooring company near my house and asked them about...

More on how to ruin our country [ 4 Answers ]

If you missed this before, there are some thought-provoking statements here. While this is set in prayer format, the social statements are valid. > When Minister Joe Wright was asked to open the new session of the > Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting the usual generalities, but this > is...

Can you laminate or tile over laminate? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tile or laminate over a laminate counter top?

Did I just ruin my refrigerator? [ 4 Answers ]

I am helping my son build a "kegerator" using a smaller size dormitory style refrigerator. I was trying to remove the freezer area to make more room but in order to reach the screws holding (what I thought) was simply a sheet metal pan, I decided to drill holes through the pan in order to more...

View more questions Search