Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fg19537 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 07:58 AM
    How to cook 10lb beef round sirloin tip roast?
    I found many recipes, but tey were all for 3lb roasts. Any help is appreciared.
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Apr 23, 2009, 12:14 PM

Crockpot :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith1978 View Post
    crockpot :)
    Got to be a mighty big crockpot for a 10 pound roast. :p
    sumpssuck Posts: 12, Reputation: 5

May 15, 2009, 07:23 PM

For starters, your question is very vague. Do you mean cooking time? Ingredient quantities?

If you mean cooking time, for large pieces of meat your best bet is to get a good thermometer. There's many different kinds, get something you like. Then it's just a matter of cooking the roast (325F usually) until the internal temperature reaches the level of doneness you would like.

145F medium rare
    160F medium
    170F well done

Don't forget heat carry-over. If you want to hit 160F, you would remove the roast from the oven at around 155F, the carry-over temperature will take it to 160F if you just put it on the counter and cover it with foil.

If you mean ingredient quantities, just triple the amounts of the 3lb recipe. In most cases, it should work out.

Your other option is to cut the roast into 3x 3lb pieces and prepare it as if you were making 3 separate roasts using the 3lb recipe.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 08:02 PM
    I have not cooked this particular piece of meat, but I do cook large roasts for big dinner parties. For a large sirloin roast, I assume about 20 min per lb if cooking at about 300 degrees with an 8+ lb roast. Almost always, I need more time than expected, not less.

My concern with your cut, and please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a fairly uniform cut about halfway down the roast, and then it tapers?

If you cannot get it uniform by butchers twine, that's a recipe for an overdone tip when the bigger part is right... which means you are probably better going with the lower heat, longer time.

Id season it the night before cooking. I would take it out of the fridge 1&1/2 to 2 hours before cooking to let it come to room temp.

Id probably tie the roast to prevent irregular bending when cooking.

For best results (but a pain in the arse for you concerning time spent) I would either sear it first on the stove top or sear it in the oven with high heat... then drop the oven down to 300-325 and plan on a long roasting time... at least 3.5-4+ hours for this size at a lower temp.

But id never cook this without a meat thermometer. And then there's resting time after.

So... were I in your shoes... id cook it the day before to almost done and reheat... or the day of and plan on most of the day babying it.

2 hours to sit and come to room temp. 4-5 hours to cook at 300-325. Thirty minutes to an hour of resting after with the oven on low/warm to hold it if needed.

Id be afraid that if you cooked with higher heat, the tip would overcook much too fast.

Cooks.com - Recipe - Roast Sirloin Beef Tip
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 6, 2009, 02:22 PM

I cook 10- 12 lb roasts for my family sometimes. Over the years, I have had to change methods because of cheaper cuts of meat and the water content is so high! I complained about that a lot and then I got caught short of time one day and cranked the oven up to 375 degrees. Well I put that roast in with just olive oil rubbed on the outside to seal it and some salt and pepper. And a meat thermometer of course. I took it out at 140 degrees and let it sit while I mashed potatoes. It was the most tender roast and the best flavored roast and gravy we have had in years. So I figured that was a fluke and I lucked out, because I have always done the meat at 325. So I got another one and did the same thing. Cooked it at 375 and took it out at 140(I like mine well done). I let it sit to 155 and it turned out just the same as the other one. And it did not shrink as much as mine had been shrinking. I think the excess water in them from freezing and thawing even though I did not freeze it, nor did I buy it frozen. They ship them so cold they are slightly frozen all the time so they arrive fresher. Anyway, I wonder if it's because of all the water in the meat or if it was just a fluke that they turned out so nice?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 03:40 PM
    Never heard of that, but I like my meat less cooked. Do you have a convection oven? Or is it just your regular?
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 6, 2009, 06:24 PM

Dahlia. Just a regular gas oven and old at that. I wonder if our food changes over the years and we need to adjust our recipes. Not just because I had a couple of good roasts but just because everything else is changing.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:16 AM
    I think we need to adjust our recipes, I have many old tried and true from my Grandmother that I had to change a little. :) But I also don't follow them to a tee ever, I always change them up a bit.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:36 AM

I like the crock pot idea. It can be cut into pieces and cooked all day for 10 hours with red potatoes and carrots... mmmm...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 12:29 PM

I love to cook... ill cook 90% of the time and my love... shell do maybe 10%... but sometimes I like the "something hot someone else makes" recipe best.

I don't use the crock pot enough... ill dirty every pan and bowl in the kitchen when sometimes a One Pot meal woudve been just as good if not better.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 08:00 PM

I like sirloin tip cut up and served over wide noodles with beef au ju.

I brown mine and then put it in a covered dutch oven pot in the oven and cook it until tender at 350 degrees. Then I cut it up and mix with my wide butter noodles and au ju.

Another way I like sirloin tip is sliced thin and put on a grilled onion buns with au ju or melted cheddar cheese.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Jul 11, 2009, 04:26 AM

The sirloin tip roast can be a bit tough if cooked too hot or too long. The tip has a very tough membrane on one side that usually needs to be trimmed before serving. I tend to dry rub seasonings over the roast and then bake in a 300 oven for 20 minutes per pound. Sumpsuck gives a great guide using a thermometer for doneness.

Upon completion I usually slice thin and serve as a brown derby-on bread with gravy and mashed potatoes along side veggies of the season. Leftover roast and au can be used for sandwiches on hoagie rolls or kaiser rolls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tied up boneless shoulder pork roast [ 3 Answers ]

Do you remove the string before you cook the roast, or after you cook the roast?

Hamburger? Why not Beef [ 5 Answers ]

Why is it called a Hamburger if it is made of beef? I know it's a silly question but I been wondering... ^.^

Tender beef [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone had trouble finding beef that isn't tough? Every time I buy beef it is always real tough no matter how I cook it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make beef tender?

Mcdonalds beef [ 12 Answers ]

Where does mcdonalds buy their beef? Thanks

Pork Roast [ 2 Answers ]

I am making Pancetta Wrapped Pork tenderloin Roast, my question is the roast covered when in the oven? It just says place in oven at 400 degrees and roast 1 hour or until the therometer reads 145 degrees.

View more questions Search