Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Oct 20, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Wire gauge drop for lights?
    I'm installing two sconces over a sink, each will have a 60 watt maximum bulb. The switch will share a box with the GFCI that is on a dedicated 12 gauge 20 amp circuit. Can I use 14 gauge wire from the load side of the GFCI to power the switch and then run 14 gauge to the sconces or must all wires be 12 gauge? Thanks - Dennis
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Sorry but the entire circuit needs to be #12 wire, on a 20 amp circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12 gauge or 14 gauge? [ 6 Answers ]

This may seem like a relatively simple question, but I wanted to get a professionals verification. I have always heard that if you have 15 amp breakers you are to use 14 gauge wire and if you have 20 amp breakers you are to use 12 gauge wire. Is this always the case and are there exceptions to this...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

Ground Wire for new Service Drop [ 2 Answers ]

I am upgrading my house to a 200 AMP. This requires a new service drop and panel. The technician that came out and gave requirements says I need to run a ground wire that connects my natural gas line, to my water line, to a 8' ground spike and to the new panel. He instructed me to have few as...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search