Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jul 3, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Holes in yard
    Something is putting holes in my yard. The holes are between 1 to 1&1/2 inch diameter. Any idea what type of critter does that?

Animals I know have: moles, rabbits, & squirrels
    If it's the moles I'll be learning something new about them.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 12:48 PM

I have those strange holes in my yard as well. They are about 2-3" deep. I saw squirrels in my yard so I know it's squirrel activity. Rabbits don't dig holes. I have lots of wild rabbits and never see them dig. Just hop around a lot and eat whatever vegatation is above ground.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 12:53 PM

Actually, rabbits do dig holes, hares don't.

Rabbits are burrowing animals. They live underground.

Hares don't burrow, they live above ground.

Jack rabbits are hares.

Just fyi. :)
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 02:21 PM

If there are tunnels (raised passages through sod or soil) leading to the holes, there are 3 different varmints that I know of that can cause them. Namely, moles, voles and shrews.
    We had voles and killed 23 (within a very small area) with mouse traps baited with good old peanut butter. We put the trap near the hole and then put a bucket over the trap and the hole to keep other animals away from the trap. Mole traps (spring type) didn't catch one single vole. Likewise, treating for grubs is of no avail with voles. Moles are two or more times the size of voles and the vole resembles a mouse, but darker and a little longer.
    If there is no tunnel, squirrels are the most likely suspects as twinkiedooter said.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Inch and a half to two inch diameter holes indicates rodents of some type. If the holes turn after 2-6 inches and become tunnels you may have a rat's nest. If they are simply dug holes squirrels are your likeliest culprits. Are there paths or runways leading away from the holes? That would confirm rats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ground Squirrels are digging holes all over my yard [ 9 Answers ]

Ground Squirrels are digging holes all over my yard and it looks really bad. I've heard theses rodents are bad to have around because of fleas and other diseases. I have to convince my HOA to do something about them so I need some good ammo to go to them with. Any thoughts on why they should take...

Sink holes ? [ 1 Answers ]

What conditions cause sink holes?

Yard holes [ 3 Answers ]

I have holes all over my yard,they are about 1to 2 inches round All the grass in these areas has completely died I'm located in richmond va Any ideas Thanks

Holes in my yard? [ 10 Answers ]

I found these holes in my yard and was wondering if anyone could tell me what made them? The biggest ones are about the size of my pinky, some are smaller, but not much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There shold be a picture if I did this right. Thanks, Mike

10 yard and 40 yard dash [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering what is a good 10 yard and 40 yard sprint time for a high school runningback?

View more questions Search