Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    turnersp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 04:17 PM
    3 speed ceiling fan only has 1 speed
    I have a 3 speed Hunter ceiling that I rarely turn off and all 3 speeds had been working. I recently turned it off and when I turned it back on, only the high speed is working. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it. I still only have the High speed. Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2006, 07:49 PM
    What model fan is it? It could be a bad capacitor.
    turnersp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by turnersp
    I have a 3 speed Hunter ceiling that I rarely turn off and all 3 speeds had been working. I recently turned it off and when I turned it back on, only the high speed is working. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it. I still only have the High speed. Has anyone had this problem before?

thanks.
    The model number is 23459.I wondered about the capacitor, but I didn't know how it related to the fan speed. I also need to elaborate on the problem. Before I changed the switch,as I pulled the chain, there was no response with first and second pull, but on the third pull, the fan ran high speed and the 4th pull turned it off. With the new swith in place, the first pull is high speed and with the 2nd and 3rd pull the fan speed is still high, and the 4th pull turns the fan off. The old swith was wired as follows: L=black, 1=Gray 2=Brown and 3=Green. The only markings on the swith are: Well Tec 108,3A 250VAC, 6A125Vac

thanks
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 11:12 AM
    Ok, sounds like you didn't get the correct replacement switch, or didn't wire it properly. Put the old switch back in wired how it was, and we will take it from there. No sense trying to troubleshoot two problems at once.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...and-repair.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 speed ceiling fan wireing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a old ceiling fan that is controlled from a wall switch. The switch has 5 settings. The transformer in the switch need to be replaced however I can't find one here in Phoenix. Can someone tell where I can get a transformer or tell how this switch and fan is wire so I can replace the fan with...

I need more speed on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hunter ceiling fan. It usually is on about 8hr during the night since I live in the tropics. I don't use the reverse and I have separate switches for the fan and light. The fan is set on max speed always. I need more breeze from the fan so I slightly bent each blade by about 2 degrees and...

Ceiling fan high speed [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled a ceiling fan from the basement. When it was down there all 3 speeds worked fine. Now that I've reinstalled it upstairs, it only runs on high speed. The are 4 wires from the fan, white black blue and green. Green is ground, blue is for the light, white neutral and black hot. 3...

Ceiling fan only works on low speed [ 1 Answers ]

We have a ceiling fan that was in the living room when we bought our house. At the time, there was no longer a pull chain for the fan. We just replaced that switch, and now the fan only works on low speed. The fan didn't work at all prior to the new switch. Is there anyway of knowing if we can...

Lost low speed on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan that works fine on the medium and high speed settings but does not work or rotate on the low speed setting. What is the cause and can I repair it?

View more questions Search