Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    californiamaver Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Air conditioning compressor (outside unit) not coming on
    I am trying to see if I can fix my girlfriends AC unit (if it is an easy fix). The air comes on when you turn on the thermostat, air starts blowing, but it is not cool. Checked the outside unit (compressor) and it was NOT running. No fan, neither pipe was cold or hot, nothing from the outside unit. Last time this happened, I went to take off the side cover and it started working again, just like that. So this time I thought I could do the same thing, like there was a safety switch on it that was not getting triggered. No such luck, took off the cover, there was no switch and I didn't see any loose wires. Checked the voltage, there seems to be voltage 24vAC coming in from the thermostat wires, and there is AC power (110vAC I assume) coming in from the breaker box. Beyond that, don't know what to check. Thoughts? Help?
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jun 30, 2009, 08:43 AM

There should be 240 coming to the unit for the compressor and fan. Sounds to me like either the contactor is not closing or something else.
    When the unit calls for cooling is the contactor closing? It is the main control for the fan and compressor.

Jun 30, 2009, 10:07 AM
    I checked the voltage (with just a voltage sensing probe, not a volt meter) on either side of what I think the contactor is (wires coming in from the breaker and then going out the other side to the compressor)... there seemed to be voltage on both sides of that device.

Jun 30, 2009, 10:10 AM

If there is voltage any where near the contactor it will show up... need to get a meter.

Is the contactor closed or open. If open push it in with a screwdriver and BE CAREFUL not to touch any metal. See if compressor turns on or not than.

Might want to call in a service tech. 240 volts can and will hurt you!!

Jun 30, 2009, 10:24 AM
    OK, that makes sense. I do have a volt meter and I did see where the "plate" could be pushed in to make contact. So a) I will check the voltage coming out the other side and see if it is 240 vAC and check to see if the contactor can be activated manually.(I will be careful, thanks for concern). If the contactor works manually, does that mean it just needs to be replaced? Or is there something that activates it that might be broken? Also, speaking of safety, what would the small white barrel looking thing in that same area be? A capacitor? Am I going to run the risk of discharging that somehow if I replace the contactor and if so, how do I discharge it before I do that replacement so that I lesson my risk?

By the way,, thank you for helping !

Jun 30, 2009, 01:58 PM

That would be a start cap... no need to bleed it just be careful when removing wires from contactor if that is what needs replaced. Make sure to label them or make a very very precise wire diagram so you know what goes where.

Jun 30, 2009, 02:10 PM
    You rock... won't work on this until the weekend, but you have been very helpful, thanks for taking the time.

Jun 30, 2009, 03:19 PM

Good luck and let me know what you find...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside AC condensor/compressor unit not coming on at all [ 7 Answers ]

My outside central AC condensor/compressor unit (a Lennox) is not turning on at all. When I switch on the thermostat, the blower in the basement starts running and air is coming through the vents, but the outside unit is not turning on at all, so there is no cool air. Is the likely problem a...

Replace air conditioning compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The compressor has failed on my 1995 Dodge Dakota. I'd like to replace the compressor only, to save on costs. If I replace the compressor without replacing the condenser, will it last a couple of years or is it absolutely imperative that I replace the condenser as well? Thank you!

Air conditioning compressor [ 3 Answers ]

HELLO, Last night my air conditioning compressor stopped working. It will engage, it wants to work but the fan just will not go. It is Sunday 99 degrees and was wondering if there mioght be something I can do to fix this problem? Thank you so much!!

Blower? Coming on without Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I have a central air conditioning unit in my home. For about a month now something keeps coming on during hot afternoons that sounds like the blower. The air conditioner is not on (I have checked outside) and the thermostat is not on. But around 1pm-5pm on hot days something is coming on...

AIr Conditioning Not Coming on [ 1 Answers ]

I have had some issues the past two days. When it is time for the air to kick on in my house as set on the thermostat, nothing happens. I turned it off and waited a couple of hours and tried again and it kicked on, ran for like 5 or 6 hours in normal mode and then again it would not come one. I...

View more questions Search