Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunanthem Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Stucco Application for Large Scale Sculpture
    I am interested in using stucco for a large scale sculpture art project and was wondering if anyone familiar with the way it behaves could give me advice on how to use it. I've never used stucco before but it seems to be the best choice of medium for an exterior plaster. The way I want to use it is pretty unconventional and I hope my explanation is clear enough to understand. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I am building a giant 10' tall egg. I've welded a steel armature, basically its internal structure/skeleton. What I am planning on doing now is wrapping chicken wire around the armature to use as the stucco lath. I want to then apply the stucco onto the chicken wire to serve as the shell of the egg. My main concern is whether the stucco will adhere to the chicken wire lath without any backing to it. I understand that usually the lath is backed with a waterproof paper. I am planning on using the two-layer stucco (quikrete scratch and finish from Lowes). Any advice that might pertain to this bizarre project and how stucco works would be amazing and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 09:02 AM

You would need 5-7 layers of chicken wire (poultry cloth) to provide enough surface for stucco to adhere. Applying stucco is like troweling on cement, the chicken wire is so thin it will just slice right through the cement. You should explore plaster metal lath Metal Lath & Accessories
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2009, 10:26 PM

Stanard stucco will shrink crack too much and weigh a ton. Its cement.

Bals expanedable metal lath is perfect for your rounded project

Over that apply Structolite

STRUCTO-LITE Basecoat - USG Corporation

Then actual plaster

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stucco application [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to repair/finnish coat my stucco rental property myself. Also a material/tool list. Assuming the pigment is added to the finish coat can this coat be sprayed?

Stucco application [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- We are fairly skilled do-it-yourselfers. We have just constructed an outbuilding with a total wall surface of 9"high and total length (4 sides) of 80 ft. We would like to stucco this ourselves. We have built pads and walls of concrete but this would be a first in stucco. The wall is sheathed in...

Stucco Application [ 2 Answers ]

I have a home built in the late 1960s with stucco with glass blown into it. Is there any way to apply new stucco to the house without removing the old stuff. I'm looking for a more modern/contemporary look. Thanks J

Stucco Application [ 1 Answers ]

I Need the Procedure of Stucco Application

View more questions Search