Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b44m16c10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Under the counter drain vent
    What is a under the counter air vent ? How is it installed ? What is the use of this item ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 08:39 AM

Are you asking about an air admittance valve (AAV) ? If so, install on the horizontal lateral line between the wall and the trap. An AAV is not going to work for decades so it must be accessible. All fixture need a trap and traps need a vent to allow air to enter the system otherwise water would not drain properly. To see how water drains without a trap turn a pop bottle upside down and watch how it chugs
    b44m16c10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Are you asking about an air admittance valve (AAV) ? If so, install on the horizontal lateral line between the wall and the trap. An AAV is not going to work for decades so it must be accessible. All fixture need a trap and traps need a vent to allow air to enter the system otherwise water would not drain properly. To see how water drains without a trap turn a pop bottle upside down and watch how it chugs
    Thank you for your answer on this matter it will be put to good use THANKS
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 27, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by b44m16c10 View Post
    What is a under the counter air vent ? How is it installed ? What is the use of this item ?
    A under the counter air vent or AAV/ Air admittance Vent(see image) takes the place of a regular vent through the roof. It's mounted just downstream from the trap. Do you need more information? Regards, tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Use vent as drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I current am installing a bathroom on the second floor of my home. There is a 3" vertical vent that runs underneath what is to become my toilet, then turns 90 degrees up the wall and through the roof. Can I use this vent as to drain the toilet? (It has sweeping 90s and I believe there was...

Do I Need a Vent on a New Drain? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about a sink drain line that I am installing. Specifically, do I need a vent for the new drain line? The following are the details of my situation. Please bear with me as I want to give you a clear picture. I recently put on an addition next to my kitchen and in that...

Vent for Washing Machine Drain Attached to Existing Drain Line [ 0 Answers ]

"Current setup for a washing machine has the discharge hose "hooked" into a laundry tub. Tennants would like something more "permanent." The laundry tub has a normal trap followed by a horizontal run of about 2 feet (2" threaded pipe) then "T's" into a vertical drain/vent. The vent line goes...

Vent diagram - does this meet code (see pic)? Vent runs below actual drain [ 4 Answers ]

The schematic below should make it clear the configuration I would like to use. Basically, I would like to keep the vent under the floor for a little ways, so it pops up in a better location. I cannot easily move the 2" drain location going down and would rather not go straight up from the...

When a tub drain has no vent [ 1 Answers ]

We know there's no vent for the tub/shower drain. :( It has always been a slow drain. Now, after a short shower, water will seep from under the tub and from under the toilet. When we have plunged the drain, sand comes up. How can we add a vent without having to demolish the bathroom? The...

View more questions Search