Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Giseledias Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 02:39 AM
    How do I get rid of these earthworms in my bathroom.
    How do I get rid of earthworms in my bathroom. My bathroom seems to be infested by earthworms. Every morning its unpleasant to see large earthworms in the bathrom. I pour a little disinfectant over the bathroom hole every night and keep it covered with a water filled bucket but still some how they seem to be creeping in from below or where ever I don't really know . My bathroom is otherwise very clean and also has no cracks or anything on any tiles. Its all renovated that way and I live on the 7th floor. The building is situated along the hillside and as such there's very heavy rainfall during monsoons and a variety of insects and worms are seen everywhere around during the season. Advice how do I get rid of these earthworms which are seen more or less throughout the year in my bathroom.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 02:48 AM
    I'm a little confused. You mention the term "bathroom hole." Do you use a waterless toilet? If so they could be coming directly up the waste pipe, even up seven floors. A nightly rinse might help keep them "down" in that case.

If you use a flush toilet, they could be coming up the outside of the pipe and getting in around the drain. Re-sealing the drain should help in that case.

Jun 24, 2009, 03:23 AM

Bathroom hole as in the drain. No we have a separate toilet. Yes ofcurse there is water in the bathroom as it is used only for bathing purpose. After bath the bathroom is cleaned daily and then whiped dry after which I pour some disinfectant over the drain and place a water filled bucket over the drain to prevent anything from creeping up through the drain. But of late I have seen that all my attempts are in vain as neither the disinfectant not the bucket are able to stop these earthworms from crawing inside through the drain. And there are pretty large in size which makes it all the more yukier. Yeeeks I simply hate going into the bathroom now.What do I do? Can I try pouring some bleaching powder mixed with water os something like that?
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 07:34 AM
    You might try checking the drain pipe. It may not be completely sealed. To run a pipe through a wall or floor they have to cut the hole larger than the pipe. The worms could be coming in between the pipe and the edge of the hole.

Your building may have a maintenance staff or person to take care of drains and plumbing problems.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2009, 01:41 PM

Beer or salt water works for slugs. Might work for worms.

Jun 27, 2009, 01:38 AM

Thanks for your suggestion on the maintenance bit. I however don't want to go to the plumber because then it becomes a society issue. A lot many others would have to e involved and some might regards my problem as trivia. I want to fix this up all by myself . May be with the use of some insecticide or so. Could you suggest what kind of a spray or so would be effective?
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 01:52 AM
    Before you give up on the maintenance idea, you might try a little do-it-yourself. Does the grate have a cover over it with bolts or screws that can be removed? Some grates screw into the top of the pipe. If you can get that off, you can look to see if there are gaps between the top of the pipe and the floor that can be sealed up with caulking

As far as killing earthworms, KISS's idea of salt seems worth a try. But you'll still have to deal with their remains.

Jul 6, 2009, 04:56 AM

You I know I would have to deal with the remains in case I start using salt., well the drain is fixed to the floor. It cannot be removed for any r&d.. I have tried using bleaching powder since the last few days. Seems to be working so far but recently I have discoved a few brown spots on my steel drain. I hope its not rusting away because of the bleaching effect.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Have you tried putting salt down the drain? I have no idea if it would work but I'm now just throwing ideas out that might help.

Jul 7, 2009, 04:48 AM

No I haven't tried the salt thing as yet. I don't want to deal with the reamins of a deadly earthworm...
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 06:27 AM
    If you're on an upper floor, do other people have these things?
    chattesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 02:36 AM
    Comment on Catsmine's post
    Hi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

After using the bathroom. [ 5 Answers ]

This may sound a little weird but... After going pee, normally a guy can just shake a few times, and put it away. I don't know why but for the last month or so, every time I go to the bathroom, its like I can't get all of the pee to come out. Its hard to explain... but I'll try. Think of a...

Bathroom plumbing with basement bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me what cause my upstairs bathroom to back up into my basement bathroom?

Another Bathroom is needed... The boys are fighting to use the bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

First, thank you for having this kind of forum. Now also let me say that I'm not well versed in the plumbing lingo so hopefully you will be patient with my questions. I live in a 3 levels home (Basement, Main, Upstairs) with the existing bathroom is on the main floor. I'm planing to add...

View more questions Search