Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gbugleboy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Lawn Tractor will not start
    I have a Pony Troy-Built 17.5 hp lawn tractor that will not start? The battery is good " I did have it tested "even tried to jump it but it will only crank one time and stop Can someone help me out

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 03:30 PM

Can you describe what happens in more detail. When it cranks once what exactly do you mean, just one rotation?

Jun 22, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Yes one rotation and nothing? I taped the side of the starter but that did nothing ether and I do not hear any clicking sounds. The red Wire from the battery to the starter is warm also
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 04:01 PM

Use a jumper cable and go directly from the battery to the starter. It should spin immediately, if not your starter is shot. Obviously make sure the blades are not engaged and its in neutral with the clutch/brake depressed and someone sitting in the seat
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 04:22 PM

Hi,
    It is the valves and the ACR not working. Give the YouTube video link.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jun 23, 2009, 09:09 AM
    Yup it's the starter so how do I remove it I see two screws on the bottom of it if I take them out should it pull off?? Thanks for all your help

Jun 23, 2009, 09:19 AM

Hi,
    It is unlikely the starter unless you have burned it up trying to crank it. It is a 7/16" nut for the cable and two 1/2" bolts for the starter, though they also have T-30 torx sockets in them.
    It is however the valves, look back for valve questions answered by "ballengerb1" to find a YouTube video on adjustment first. VERY common on that engine, though you are supposed to only have to adjust once for the life of the engine (according to the factory) barring a rocker arm failure. That engine has had camshaft and rocker arm heat-treating problems. The first far more than the latter.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jun 23, 2009, 02:14 PM

Thank you for that answer it was not the starter I did get it off and jump it out and it worked just fine OK so what is the problem I'll tell you I took out the spark plug and gas ran out so I turned the motor over a few times by hand put it all back together jumped started it and it ran like charm. I'm glad I have a place to go to get answers like this I'm sure I will need you guys again LOL

Jun 23, 2009, 05:12 PM

So I thought is was fixed NOT! Now it is blowing gray/blue smoke and dripping a little oil I think I will give up and just take it to the repair shop that did the service on it last year OH Well

Jun 23, 2009, 06:00 PM

Hi,
    Change your oil, I'll bet it is full of gas. Just takes a few minutes of warm-up to start blowing past the rings at the bottom of the cylinder and do that.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jun 24, 2009, 06:06 AM

How did the gas get into the oil?? Not sure what you are saying here ( Just takes a few minutes of warm-up to start blowing past the rings at the bottom of the cylinder and do that.)

Jun 24, 2009, 06:53 AM

Hi,
    The easy answer is the same way it got into the cylinder. If the inlet needle in the carb does not seal and the intake valve is open; it will run into the cylinder and beneath the rings. Check the oil for level and the smell of gas.
    Other things can do it, also. Tipping the machine. Bad vent in the filler cap to the fuel tank.
    Tipping the wrong way can also ruin the air filter by soaking it with fuel and/or oil and restricting the air flow subsequently.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jun 24, 2009, 01:37 PM

I did change the oil just a little smoke so I cut my grass and changed it again I now have no smoke. Thanks again for all your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Lawn Tractor - Unable to Start Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I currently having difficulty starting my Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor, (Model# 917.259830). I was using the tractor and had to shut it off to move a lawn hose. When I tried to start it again it just clicked. Specifically upon turning the keying, it makes a click sound followed by a whin....

Lawn tractor will not start [ 10 Answers ]

I was using my MTD riding lawn tractor. All was well, stopped for a break. Tried to re-fire the tractor and nothing, won't turn over. The battery is charged. No disconnected wires. Could it be the "Seat engine cutoff mechanism? If so how do I bypass it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lawn Tractor will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Mower that I have had about a year. It won't start. It will not turn over or make a sound. The battery is charged. The seat switch appears to be working properly. The mower is not engaged. It is not in reverse. I checked the fuse and it is OK. What else could it...

Lawn tractor will not start by key [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1992 sears 14.5 hp B&S motor lawn tractor that will not start by key but will by jumping the solenoid. I have replaced the solenoid and ignition switch. After the new solenoid was installed the tractor will at least turn off but still will not start. This tractor has a brake switch that is...

View more questions Search