Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steve cooper Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Is a childhood friend still alive?
    I had a friend in high school. I heard this person might not be alive anymore. Is there a way I could find out? I haven't seen or spoken to him in forty years.
    steve cooper Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 06:19 AM
    I'm still waiting to hear an answer!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Steve have you tried contacting old friends or neighbors? How about classmates.com?

Those are the only ways I can think of.

I found a friend I had not seen in over 20 years through classmates.

Good luck.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Oct 17, 2006, 06:33 AM
    OK, you know his name and I presume where he was born, grew up etc. Are his parents still alive? Did he have brothers or sisters? Have you tried his home town? Check out local registry office for births deaths marraiges.

If there is a chance he moved out of town, you will need to know which country/city and check out the registry offices there, then that is only if he is on the electoral roll. And then you may require some form to access the records.

I don't think that this is something you could do online. Certainly census records that are less than 100 years old are only available to a lawyer. Failing that hire a PI, they will ask the same questions about family,etc

Good luck
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 06:50 AM
    To see if he is deceased, check the Social Security Death Index. It reflects the latest information provided by the Social Security Administration as of July 2006.

Small side note: Census' are available after 70 years. All census' through 1930 are available with the exception of 1890, which was lost. In 2010 the 1940 census will be made public.

PPS: If you get a hit from the SSDI, you'll only get partial info unless you pay for a subscription. I have the subscription, so if you find him there and want the full info, just let me know and I'll look it up for you.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Oct 17, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Small side note: Census' are available after 70 years. All census' through 1930 are available with the exception of 1890, which was lost. In 2010 the 1940 census will be made public.
    Not in the UK, it is 100 years. Don't know why... just is! Probably something to do with if the person is still alive and an invasion of privacy,etc.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Thanks, colb. Rick knuckles self on head :o... yes, I should have pointed out: my post/info is only for the U.S.
    FireAngel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2006, 11:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by steve cooper
    I had a friend in high school. I heard this person might not be alive anymore. Is there a way I could find out? I haven't seen or spoken to him in forty years.
    Try websites such as peoplefinders or ancestry.com
    irfanirfanirfan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 09:09 AM
    Best childhood friend
    irfanirfanirfan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 09:10 AM
    Best childhood friend

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old radiators + new boiler are boiling us alive [ 6 Answers ]

Help! We recently installed a new boiler and pump in our 77-year-old home. The water pressure is great, but too much for our old boilers. They are incredibly hot and can't be turned off. Our plumber has been searching for new valves to fit to the old radiators, but without luck. Any ideas?

I'm Alive(?) [ 16 Answers ]

I was at a ski resort, and heard a song that was really good, in my opinion, that had the hook "I'm Alive" in it. The song had a sort of creppy-funk vibe. Sorry I can't give more info, but it's been awhile since I heard it, and it's driving me crazy. Thx in advance for any help.

Need Help, Please Its Eating Me Alive! [ 2 Answers ]

Its been I think around 2-5 years since I last saw this movie. Its about teenagers and love. First there are these groups of friends and two guys are dating these girls, one of the girls is popular in school. There is a third girl (who in my opion reminds me of the girl from secret world of alex...

A Song From My Childhood [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone recognize this song from these few pieces of lyrics. I remember it as a child being played as like a comedy type record on children's radio shows. The song was basically about someone running and trying to keep up with a car ( I think ) and as the song went on the car was getting...

View more questions Search