Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sozza Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Dec 27, 2006, 07:29 PM
    Mini Dachshund Breeding
    Hello,
    I have a mini dachshund she is around 10 months old and weighs 3.1kg's.
    I would like to have a litter from her, not for money purposes or flash purebred breeding but just for the sheer pleasure of having a litter of puppies from my beautiful little girl. She had her first season at about 8 months and I would like to breed from her on her next season. I have breed many litters of pups from small and big dogs before so I'm not a novice in this area it is just that I have had many weird comments when it comes to dachshunds. I have had many mixed comments from people saying that breeding them is really hard that that she is too small and so on. And other people say it would be fine. If anyone knows anything about breeding mini dachshunds please let me know.. the good and the bad things would be nice to hear.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2006, 07:56 PM
    Please don't! You don't give your location, and the 3.1 KG alerts me to perhaps you are not in the USA. We have a terrible problem here with people breeding excessive numbers of often low quality dogs. How much research have you done on her? It what ways is she outstanding with fine qualities worth passing on? Is she and the dogs in her pedigree free from common problems with Mini Dachshunds, allergies, back problems, etc. I am afraid your selfish pleasure will only contribute to the general misery of the dog world.

If you insist on going ahead with this misadventure, at least wait a little longer. If she comes in season again in 6 months, she would be being bred at 14 months and delivering at 16 months, very much on the young side.
    Sozza Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Dec 27, 2006, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Please don't! You don't give your location, and the 3.1 KG alerts me to perhaps you are not in the USA. We have a terrible problem here with people breeding excessive numbers of often low quality dogs. How much research have you done on her? It what ways is she outstanding with fine qualities worth passing on? Is she and the dogs in her pedigree free from common problems with Mini Dachshunds, allergies, back problems, etc.? I am afraid your selfish pleasure will only contribute to the general misery of the dog world.

If you insist on going ahead with this misadventure, at least wait a little longer. If she comes in season again in 6 months, she would be being bred at 14 months and delivering at 16 months, very much on the young side.

Im in Australia, She is a high quality dog, she is a pure bred mini log haired dachshund and she has excellent lines, no history of and problems in her family tree. I was just stating that, that was not the reason I was wanting to breeding her. I would only breed her with another pure bred. There is not many dachshunds in WA, she is a long haired one excellent and I have a lot of interest from people who would love a little dog like her. I do not consider it a misadventure. I was only asking if you knew of any problems to do with breeding mini's birthing problems etc.
    How old you think is a good age for her to have her first litter?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2006, 08:17 AM
    Perhaps you need to do some reading rather than take the word of somebody without that much experience in breeding. Successful Dog Breeding, by Chris Walkowicz, DMV is recommended by highly experienced people.

American Kennel Club - akc.org also has some excellent material under breeding.
    Timmersrn Posts: 1, Reputation: -1

Jul 11, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Perhaps you need to do some reading rather than take the word of somebody without that much experience in breeding. Successful Dog Breeding, by Chris Walkowicz, DMV is recommended by highly experienced people.

American Kennel Club - akc.org also has some excellent material under breeding.
    I think perhaps that you need to get off your high horse and realize that this woman merely wanted to breed her dog. Also, if you are such snob maybe you should go back to school and learn a little grammar, it might make your point seem a little more intelligent rather than just obnoxious.
    Hoodpuppies Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Dec 14, 2008, 07:53 PM
    I am so sick of all these people who think they rule the world and are the only ones allowed to breed their Fifi. And, no, do NOT reply to this if you have another sermon or sad rescue dog story. Enough people have brains, love the breed, and are not waiting for your crusade. Leave the people alone!
    To the lady in Australia: Indeed, just breed her ones. If you match well with size, supplement feed her, etc. you should be fine. Young Dachshunds do not have many complications. Have your vet on stand by and enjoy the moment. Maybe have her spayed after this litter. It's a precious experience. Read up on how to assist with the whelping if needed.
    stretchlimo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 09:27 PM
    I have a male I would like to mate all I want is a puppy for a friend for him he's a pure with papers would like to hear from you
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 7, 2009, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stretchlimo View Post
    i have a male i would like to mate all i want is a puppy for a friend for him hes a pure with papers would like to hear from you
    What happens to the other puppies that don't go to your "friend?"
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 8, 2009, 12:53 PM

QUOTE:: jodiemo : I have to agree with Timmersrn's answer. Get OFF HER CASE ALREADY!! QUOTE::

Jodiemo. It's funny that you come here to disagree with us, but you don't even comment! Is that because you didn't have anything to back up your agreement with Timmersrn? And this is your first post too! What a coincidence this is!

Hoodpuppies? Your username says it all. A backyard breeder or a puppymill selling puppies off the hood of your car are you? How disgusting this is. I'm glad you think it's a "precious experience" that so many dogs have to be murdered so you can "enjoy the moment!" Also, you are not going to last long around here if you join, and on your FIRST POST you are ordering the ones that have been around here for a very long time, not to reply to your response. How dare you! Have some respect. We have done our research, and it's obvious you haven't. Just to say that we should not tell you another "sad rescue story," makes me pray to God that you don't own a dog! Although I know that is only a pipe dream. I am horribly sad for any animals you may have! :( These are certainly not the words of a dog lover. Shoo!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodpuppies View Post
    I am so sick of all these people who think they rule the world and are the only ones allowed to breed their Fifi. And, no, do NOT reply to this if you have another sermon or sad rescue dog story. Enough people have brains, love the breed, and are not waiting for your crusade. Leave the people alone!
    To the lady in Australia: Indeed, just breed her ones. If you match well with size, supplement feed her, etc., you should be fine. Young Dachshunds do not have many complications. Have your vet on stand by and enjoy the moment. Maybe have her spayed after this litter. It's a precious experience. Read up on how to assist with the whelping if needed.

So, you're sick of the people who think they're the only ones that should be allowed to breed? I don't breed, what an erroneous assumption. I love my dogs too much to turn them into a cash cow. All my animals are fixed, even my rabbits, because I will not breed while so many other animals are killed every day. Do I have the knowledge to breed, yes, but I won't do it, never!

This is just another case of someone who doesn't want to hear the truth because it messes with their plans. Get your head out of the sand, wake up and smell the decomposing dogs that die every day because of backyard breeders and puppymills. It's not a pretty smell, take a bit whiff though because you're adding to the problem.

Dachshunds have many defects that are passed down if not detected, and just breeding them for the enjoyment and pleasure of this "precious experience" is the most irresponsible thing I've every heard.

Do you want another "precious experience"? Go to the SPCA, ask that you be allowed to spend the day in the euthanasia room, now that's an experience, one you won't ever forget. Look into that poor puppies eyes while they slide the needle in and then tell yourself that breeding your dog is no big deal. That puppy died because of people like you, people that have no business breeding dogs.

This just really upsets me. I've done my research, when you actually do yours then come back and I'll listen, until then, you have nothing to add to this but bad advice. :(
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 01:33 PM
    It's a precious experience.
    For whom is it a "precious experience"? For the dog? Dogs don't romanticize childbirth the way humans do. For her it's a lot of work and pain. So the precious experience is for the owner? How is that not selfish and self-indulgent? Instead of anthropomorphizing the dog, try putting her best interests, and those of dogs waiting for adoption, first. That seems like the humane thing to do.
    stretchlimo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    What happens to the other puppies that don't go to your "friend?"
    I went to the shelter to look for a friend after giving my money and letting them do background chechs on me calling my vet and everyone else they could I was told that I would be put on there waiting list 6 months ago still waiting that's why I would like to mate my dog I know his back ground and I'm tried of waiting if there's that my dogs looking for a home why can't I have one I had a good report from my vet if I could I wound have taken any dog there not looking for a certine breed just friendly
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 9, 2009, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stretchlimo View Post
    i went to the shelter to look for a freind after giving my money and letting them do background chechs on me calling my vet and everyone else they could i was told that i would be put on there waiting list 6 months ago still waiting thats why i would like to mate my dog i know his back ground and i'm tried of waiting if theres that my dogs looking for a home why can't i have one i had a good report from my vet if i could i wound have taken any dog there not looking for a certine breed just friendly
    Do you live in Siberia? What shelter is this you have gone to that would put you on a six month waiting list? I have never heard of such a thing. This doesn't sound correct to me at all. Shelters are trying to find homes for their animals, not turn people away. If you have a shelter that is doing this, I would certainly want their phone number. I don't believe this for a minute.

There are millions... yes I said MILLIONS of "friendly" dogs out there just waiting to be adopted before they die! You said you don't even care about the breed. Well it is impossible not to find a loving dog from a shelter. Even if you want a certain breed, there are breed specific shelters also!

Do you know how many dogs were homeless just because of hurricand Katrina alone? How many families sorrowed over the pet that they had to leave behind, and he or she got left in a shelter without their family, or worse yet, were left for dead while they were just waiting for their family to come for them? The families couldn't find their lost pets in most cases, and you could see the look in their eyes when they were being put to sleep because the shelter didn't have room. It's heartbreaking to see. To bring more dogs into the world when so many others have to die is unthinkable to me. Please try another shelter if you are having problems, or try another way to rescue one of those deserving dogs. If you truly care for you own dog, you will spay her, and find another way in order for other dogs to not have to die because of your choice.
    honeyyogi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Oh my god, yes this is my first and probably last post on this ridiculous thread!! Will some people stop at nothing for an argument? The poor person who started this thread, merely asked for advice on breeding from her dog. You all seem to have assumed that they are totally irresponsible for doing so, and under no circumstances should enjoy the experience!!

And god help anyone else who offers their dog for stud for the pick of the litter... what a crime...

My advice? Go to another forum where the other posters don't require directions to get their heads out of their bums.

I came to the site hoping for similar advice, needless to say I don't think I want it thanks.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 24, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by honeyyogi View Post
    Oh my god, yes this is my first and probably last post on this ridiculous thread!!!! will some people stop at nothing for an argument? the poor person who started this thread, merely asked for advice on breeding from her dog. you all seem to have assumed that they are totally irresponsible for doing so, and under no circumstances should enjoy the experience!!!!

and god help anyone else who offers their dog for stud for the pick of the litter....what a crime.....

my advice? go to another forum where the other posters don't require directions to get their heads out of their bums.

I came to the site hoping for similar advice, needless to say i don't think i want it thanks.
    Most ignorant people don't want advice, so it's best you move on.

The facts are the facts, of course, for those people wanting to breed without any experience, those facts should, if they have any sense, stop them from doing it.

Sadly most people only care about themselves, not their dog or the countless other dogs out there that are killed every year because of want to be back yard breeders.

Good luck.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Most ignorant people don't want advice, so it's best you move on.

The facts are the facts, of course, for those people wanting to breed without any experience, those facts should, if they have any sense, stop them from doing it.

Sadly most people only care about themselves, not their dog or the countless other dogs out there that are killed every year because of wanna be back yard breeders.

Good luck.
    Good on you Alty :)
    Holly27 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 05:19 PM
    To the lady in Australia: Indeed, just breed her ones. If you match well with size, supplement feed her, etc., you should be fine. Young Dachshunds do not have many complications. Have your vet on stand by and enjoy the moment. Maybe have her spayed after this litter. It's a precious experience. Read up on how to assist with the whelping if needed.
    AMEN!! Thank you Hoodpuppies. I am in the same situation, yet my dog is only a year. And I posted something in here about it and only have one reply which is already getting into that.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly27 View Post
    AMEN!!! Thank you Hoodpuppies. I am in the same situation, yet my dog is only a year. And I posted something in here about it and only have one reply which is already getting into that.
    You get replies like that because the regulars around here are sick of seeing backyard breeders peddle puppies with disregard to the thousands of dogs and puppies being euthanized in shelters every month.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:57 PM

Sorry to double post, but this is exactly why I am against such a thing that you both are doing. Be my guest, check every last link.

Adopt a Dachshund: Gretel: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Princess: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Rudy: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Buster: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Alexis: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Tootsie2: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Biddy: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Theodore: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Simon: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Alvin: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Chicory: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Elliot: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Luke: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Fred: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Rusty: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Male Pup 1: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Male pup 2 : Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Male pup 3: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Male pup 4: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Male pup 5: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Male pup 6: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Male pup 7: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Male pup 8 : Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Annebelle: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Mack: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Dottie: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Sunny: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Chili: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Posey & Pansey: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Oscar: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Frank: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Juliette: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: mickey: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: jasmine: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: lacey: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Paisano: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Audrey: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Ginger & Fred: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Gigi & Heidi, pair: Petfinder
    Adopt a Dachshund: Click Here-Beware!: Petfinder
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Whoops. Posted my links twice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini Dachshund confussed on where to potty [ 4 Answers ]

My 3 1/2 month old mini dachshund seems confussed on potty training. She will poop and pee outside when she wakes in the morning. She will Poop outside 99% of the time. She wants to Pee inside. We will take her Out and she will stay for 10-45 minutes and nothing. Then when we bring her In she...

Breeding [ 7 Answers ]

If My Pitbull tied with my golden retriever and then the next day tied with a lab what would the pups be. Is it possible to have pups from both the GR and Lab?

House Training a Mini Dachshund [ 4 Answers ]

Hey All...First off I'm a newbie to the site and wanted to say that I have been reading on the advice passed from each and am wondering if I can get some ideas. I have a mini dachshund that is 1 yr old. I have had dachshunds all my life but none have ever been this stubborn. My lil Sammie is a...

Breeding Daschunds [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female and a male standard. I want to breed them, but I was told by the Vet that because they are in the same house together all the time she will not let him. It must be true, because she just sits down and will NOT. I am going to do it artificial. Can you tell me what the normal amount...

Mini Dachshund with Kennel Cough [ 3 Answers ]

We just picked up our eight-week old Mini Dachshund from his breeder this week. We have a one year old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix that we got last year. The baby has had a weird cough since we picked him up, and I called the vet to see if I could get him an appointment. After finding a caring...

View more questions Search