Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mosykl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2005, 01:28 PM
    Cast iron vent stack
    I'm installiing a new basement bathroom and when running a vent stack I would like to tap into the existing cast iron with PVC using a saddle on the cast. My question is what method is used to cut a hole in the cast iron, where I wish to place the saddle and connect the PVC.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2005, 02:05 PM
    Cast iron vent stack
    Quote Originally Posted by mosykl
    I'm installiing a new basement bathroom and when running a vent stack I would like to tap into the existing cast iron with PVC using a saddle on the cast. My question is what method is used to cut a hole in the cast iron, where I wish to place the saddle and connect the PVC.
    If I were going to cut a hole in cast iron, (which I've never done,) I would have to go with a cutting torch. Any idea how hard cast iron is? I wore out three metal blades using a saws-all just sawing 2" cast iron pipe. Perhaps if you could locate a diamond tipped drill in the size you wish that would do it but for my money the easiest way to go is take a hitch around the vent stack and take up the slack with a jack. Then take a No-Hub drainage tee with a threaded branch and mark your top and bottom cuts. Make the bottom cut with a set of ratchet chain cutters and put a strain on the hitch while you make the top cut. You may now use No-Hub clamps and install the tee. Thread a PVC male adaptor into the branch and you're set to run with PVC. When installing the vent tee don't forget it goes in upside down for roof and rain drainage. However, let me warn you. If the stack that you wish to tap into has anything discharging above where you tap in you are forbidden to run the vent anyplace but out the roof or revent back into a existing vent at least 6" over the flood rim of the highest fixture that vents into it. More questions? Just click on back. Good luck. Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2005, 06:47 PM
    Hey, I am back. I have been able to read threads, but not post for almost a week. As usual, Tom's answers sounded as good or better than I could do.

In this case, you might try a metal cutting or grit edge hole saw if you have one. If it doesn't work, go rent the cutter like Tom said.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2005, 10:39 PM
    Tom,
    Have you ever tried an angle grinder to cut cast iron??
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2005, 07:04 AM
    Cast iron vent stack
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman
    Tom,
    Have you ever tried an angle grinder to cut cast iron???
    No Tommy I haven't. ButI wonder how many grinder wheels you'd wear out getting through a length of 4" cast iron. Ya figure more wheels then the metal blades you'd wear out if you used a Saws-All?
    When we have the room we use a set of cast iron snap cutters, SNAP!! and you're through. If we're in a tight space we use a set of ratchet chain cutters. Would you like to know how we had to cut cast iron pipe before there were snap and ratchet cutters?
    I broke into plumbing back in the 40's as a plumbers helper,( go-fer and flunky) in my fathers shop in Beloit Wisconsin. When we roughed in a new house,( all lead and okum joints), the journeyman would call out measures and I would make a mark on the cast iron with a piece of soapstone. I would then proceed to take a cold chisel and a ball-peen hammer and mark up a line around the pipe. Iwould then follow that line, beating away with the chisel, untill the pipe broke in two. Ya couldn't smack it with too heavy a hammer because cast iron's brittle and will break. Coming out of the ground and doing upper floor drainage was even worse. From cast iron stacks we coverted to galvanized iron to pick up the various fixtures. 1 1/4" for lavatorys and 1 1/2" for sinks, laundry trays and tubs. We used ratchet threaders that you had to pump up and down. 1 1/2" was very hard to thread and the thread had to be at least a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" deep. I weighed 120 pounds at 13 or 14 and didn't have the poop to pull the handle on the down, (cutting) stroke.
    I had to jump up and lay on the handle and force it down by sheer body weight on every stroke. Plumbers today don't know how easy compared to what we went through back then. We had to breath in lead fumes from the lead pot as we melted down pig lead to pour joints. My lungs are still scared from breathing in fumes from the muriatic acid we used to boil out lime deposits in toilets and we used to protect our cast iron bathtubs with asbestos sheets pasted on with flour and water. This is my first post of the day and you'll have to pardon me if I got a bit chatty and took a stroll down "the faded yellow pages of yesterday". I just thought that someone might be interested in a bit of plumbing history. Ya'all have a good day! Tom
    mosykl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2005, 07:59 AM
    Speedball,
    What do you mean when you say, put the tee in upside down for roof and rain drainage? The work will be done in the attic above the drains, I'm trying to avoid punching through the roof.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2005, 08:14 AM
    Cast iron vent stack
    Quote Originally Posted by mosykl
    Speedball,
    What do you mean when you say, put the tee in upside down for roof and rain drainage? The work will be done in the attic above the drains, I'm trying to avoid punching through the roof.
    What you are planing is called a "revent". That's when you tie a vent back into a existing vent so you won't have to take it through the roof line. The fitting that connects the revent to the vent, (as a rule a drainage tee) will be inverted, (upside down) when connected. The reason being that when rain enters the vent the flow will go down, not up. It will come FROM the vent to the revent, not TO the vent from the revent. Inverting the tee will facilitate the flow into the revent and not hinder it. Besides, that's the way code dictates that it be done. Regards, Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2005, 06:59 PM
    Speedball,
    That's great info on what plumbing was like... Sure sounds like hard work back in the day. Not sure how many grinder wheels it would take... I'm guessing the saws-all is the best bet... just curious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent stack relocation [ 2 Answers ]

I live on the top floor of a three story condo. I am renovating my kitchen and have run into a problem. I want to remove a wall in my kitchen that the sink is on. There is a 3" vent stack going straight up the middle of the wall I want to remove. Is it ok to re-route the vent stack by adding four...

Another Vent Stack Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a vent that runs from my middle floor bath to the roof. From the bathroom it runs down into the basement level garage and into the slab with a cleanout before entering the slab floor. The only items that drain into the line are a toilet and sink. The shower has its own drain and vent. ...

How do I tie into main vent stack? [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any tricks to put a 3" Tee into the main vent stack to add a lavatory? I don't think I can lift the top part of the stack up or push the bottom part of the stack down once I cut it in half but I think I'll need to seperate it by something like 2" and then push it back together to have...

Cast Iron Main Vent [ 5 Answers ]

Just looked at a property I want to buy and flip. During inspection, two red flags for me. About a 40' run of cast iron drain pipe is rusted and leaking. All radiators need to be moved to maximize space. Q1: My question is: Is the job of replacing the cast iron to tough for a DIY'er like me?...

Bathtub Vent Stack [ 2 Answers ]

First let me say this plumbing forum is very informative! Now also let me say that I am not well versed in plumbing lingo so hopefully I will be able to ask my question correctly. We plan to remodel our master bath. Currently our bathroom has a separate room for the lavatory, toilet, and...

View more questions Search