Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fal1018 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Numbness and tingling feeling near temple
    I get an off and on feeling of numbness and tingling in my temple and above my left ear. It gets worse if I sleep on my side at night or put a phone up to the side of my head or when I exercise doing stomach crunches. I have had an mri and it showed no abnormalities. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    paige11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 12:59 PM

I have the same symptoms as you. At this very moment I have the usual tingling in my left temple. I have had this symptom for over a year now. I couldn't sleep on my left side without waking up with it, and wearing a hairband or sunglasses also set it off.

Can I ask you do you suffer from cold sores? I was concerned that the two are linked together. I have suffered with coldsores on the left side of my face for over 10 years and I think that there is possibly some permanent nerve damage from this.

I hope this is helpful, let me know your thoughts.
    foiblus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paige11 View Post
    I have the exact same symptoms as you. At this very moment I have the usual tingling in my left temple. I have had this symptom for over a year now. I couldnt sleep on my left side without waking up with it, and wearing a hairband or sunglasses also set it off.

Can I ask you do you suffer from cold sores? I was concerned that the two are linked together. I have suffered with coldsores on the left side of my face for over 10 years and I think that there is possibly some permanent nerve damage from this.

I hope this is helpful, let me know your thoughts.
    I also have had recurring cold sores every 3-4 months for about 10 years and I have these exact symptoms, except on my right side. There were a few weeks when the tingling was so bad that I started unconsciously pulling out my hair. Eventually the right side of the head was bloody from pulling it out.

But the tingling that you feel is exactly what I feel.

If there's pressure behind your eyes, you should immediately talk to a doctor and get scanned (you may have a tumor. The sooner you get rid of it, the better.)

I just did extensive research, and it seems like these sensations could be the symptom of a host of problems. Here's what I'm going to try:
    1. Food allergies--I think that I may be allergic to casein. I don't consume many dairy products, but I just realized that I had an exceptional amount of cheese last night and this morning. I am going to go one month without eating dairy, wheat, or caffeine products and see if that improves symptoms.
    2. Stress -- I'm taking a heavy course load right now and also working a job, so I'm going to try meditation and getting adequate sleep.
    3. Dietary deficiency -- I'm going to eat a well-balanced diet.
    4. Migraine -- fluctuating hormones can cause migraines. The tingling sensation may be the result of high pressure in the brain from migraines (the high pressure could also be from a tumor). This seems like a good reason to stay away from caffeine/stress/etc.
    5. Sinuses -- Perhaps the sinuses are a cause of both the cold sores and the tingling? Do you have bad sinus problems? I have had bad sinuses for practically my whole life.

I'm going to try this for a month, and see if the sensation goes away. Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tingling sensation of the heart [ 1 Answers ]

The last couple of nights I have been waking up with a tingling sensation in my heart. Last night the tingling sensation went through to the left left arm. My husband went to the hospital last week with a fluttering heart and was diagnosed with artrial fibrilation last week. I am not sure...

Tingling [ 4 Answers ]

I Tried To Catch The Glass Part Of My Kitchen Table With My Hand And Now I Have Tingling In My First Finger. What Could The Cause Be?

Tingling and Numbness [ 6 Answers ]

Yesterday I woke up. Came out to use the computer and leaned my arm on the arm rest. My arm from the albow and up half way was completely numb and tingling. It has not gone away. This is the second day and still feeling the same way. Anybody experience this for a long time? Joe

If Under Law why not Rebuild the temple? [ 9 Answers ]

Why do those who say they are under the Mosaic Law not follow all the stipulations like animal sacrifices given at alters, and all the other instructions given in Deteronomy and Exodus? Actually, the rebuilding of the temple would not be enough. Those rebuilding it would also have to begin...

Numbness in arms [ 1 Answers ]

::)What could cause my arms to suddenly go numb and feel so heavy.I can't lift them when this happens. They feel like dead weight. It comes on suddenly,just out of nowhere.It will last for about five or so minutes,then they just feel funny for a little while after.Thank you for any help you can...

View more questions Search