Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glwollitz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Hot Water Heater - Low pressure only on Hot Water side
    My hot water starts with full pressure then quickly reduces flow to trickle at all household faucets. Already flushed water heater twice. Flow comes back temporarily once tank refills, then peters out again. No muck or discoloration in water. Cold water side has full pressure (even when Hot water tap is turned on) at all faucets. Plumber was in 2 days ago and replaced hot water line and valve under kitchen sink. He DID shut off water to entire house while making repair.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 20, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Hi Glwollitz:

My first guess here is that there is something... sediment from the main supply... that got disturbed and has plugged up the shutoff going INTO the water heater.

Turn the cold water shutoff going into the water heater OFF, then open it up fully again... see if that fixes it. You may need to tighten the packing nut a 1/4 turn if water starts to leak at the handle after you open/close the valve.

Start here... let me know what you find.

MARK

Jun 20, 2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks MassPlumber2008. I have already done this when draining and refilling tank. The valve did leak and I did have to tighten the nut

Once I turn off the hot water faucet, if I allow it to sit about 5min pressure will come back for about 10 sec before flow diminishes again.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 20, 2009, 03:47 PM
    Then, next, I would start by removing the old shutoff and replacing it. While the shutoff is out, you should also look down into the NIPPLES of the water heater. These nipples can become clogged over time and can get choked down to next to nothing over time.

They make a solderless shutoff... see image... that can be installed as long as you are 18" away from the heater (if gas). This is called a sharkbite (or gator grip) type of shutoff. Here, just cut out the old shutoff using a tubing cutter and then PUSH fit the new shutoff onto the pipe ends. Be sure to seat deep.

Don't foget to check the nipples... most likely this will be good time to remove/replace as well...

Let me know if you need more...

MARK
    Attached Images

Jun 20, 2009, 03:55 PM

One other thing I have noticed is that my cold water inlet pipe is as HOT to the touch as my hot water line going out
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 20, 2009, 04:09 PM
    If you don't have heat trap nipples in the heater then that can be normal to a point. It is a heating device, so not unusual for the cold water pipe to be warm/hot for 12-24".

The heat trap nipples look like the image below... usually have the INDENT in the nipple.

My guess is that the shutoff is clogged... any chance it is a shutoff similar to the one posted below? If so, before replacing it, see if you can use two wrenches/pliers to disassemble the shutoff valve (unscrews counterclockwise). Then, pulse the water main on/off without the guts from the cold water shutoff in place, reassemble (wrap teflon around threads) and see if that resolved this.

If not, the nipples are next in line for replacement...
    Attached Images

Col_Monte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2011, 05:56 PM
    Hi, I am no expert- simple farm boy from Missouri. I read several question and answers about this low pressure on the hot side problem as I had it today. Same problem as above, low hot water flow/pressure even lower if you turn on two hot water outlets. I took off the thermoplastic nipple (heat trap nipple above) on the hot side coming out of the top of the water heater. The old Nipple seemed to be plugged up with the little ball that prevents hot water from migrating into the system when not needed. Anyway once I put in a 4" straight nipple (hardware store did not have the 1" heat trap nipple- I'll get one from plumber supply shop tomorrow) I just put on a regular 1" nipple to test my theory on the old one being the problem.
    10 minutes later after putting pipe dope on the new nipple treads and tightening it down and reattaching the coupling to the hot water pipe to the house it worked great, plenty of hot water, lots of pressure and flow to all hot water facets at the same time. No leaks. Plumber I talked to wanted $175 for the first hour of trouble shooting, save some cash so far. Hope this helps.
    Semper Fi, Col Monte
    Col_Monte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2011, 06:05 PM
    PS: I had already tried the cold water shut off valve coming into the tank. Took all of the cold water input side off, sweated joints out and checked the gate valve shut off going into the hot water tank. Shut off was clear as a whistle and worked just as advertised, no problem on that side. It was a lot of work getting it all apart and back together as it was a jig saw puzzle of expansion tank, shut off valve, PVC line in, copper line to the nipple etc etc. But eliminated that side and the shut off valve which seems to be the default answer for the problem. I further suspected the cold water side being clogged as the expansion tank had failed and leaked all over the basement last week and there was corrosion going down into the pipes, so thought the corrosion from the expansion tank (only 5 years old) going bad had contributed to the problem. Probably two separate events closely linked in time. Pressure had been going down for a while and we just did not notice it.
    Sorry for the double post, thought I had better give the rest of the afternoons activities leading up to hot side discovery.
    Semper Fi, Col Monte

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Low pressure in shower both hot and cold side. New hot water heater, new shower, [ 2 Answers ]

I have no water pressure in my new shower. I have a new hot water heater, new shower fixture, new plumbing. Please tell me what the problem is.

Reduced water pressure after installation of new water heater (entire house) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We just had a new water heater installed yesterday and the water pressure seems to be reduced (probably 85-90%) of the prior level, through out the entire house. Our old water heater started to leak yesterday AM, had the new one installed that afternoon (40 gallon, 9 year wty, gas: GE...

View more questions Search