Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myhonda98 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 10:53 AM
    1998 Honda Accord Ex will not start sometimes
    I have a 1998 Honda Accord Ex and it does not want to start all of the time . I went out of town and I had it towed away to a garage and they put a new fuel pump in it and it still does not want to start. I took it into the dealer and told them too look at the main relay since everyone is having trouble with theirs. But they cannot do anything since is does not show up on the diagnostic machine. I have written a complaint to the BBB about this issue and they will contact Honda for me, which we all know nothing will be done. I had also sent them this Web site so they know I am not the only one with these troubles. I just want to know how to get the dealers service to fix this problem without the diagnostic test since it does not show? Because my husband wants me to get rid of the car and I only have 79,000 miles on it and it is in perfect shape inside and out and I love it! Other than it only starts intermittingly.What can I do?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 11:10 AM
    When the ignition is turned to ON, does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on for 2 seconds and then go off? During this 2 second period, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run? When the CEL goes out, do you hear the main relay "click"?

I would NEVER get rid of a great car, like yours, for the reasons mentioned. The solution is likely simple and you would be costing yourself lots of money.

The solution probably lies with the Main Relay, Igniter (ICM), or Coil. Even if you replaced all of them, it's not going to cost too much, provided you buy them yourself and not from Honda. I would also replace the NGK spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. Thess are standard preventive maintenance items for a vehicle with 79,000 miles.

Here is where the Main Relay is located on your 1998 Accord:

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/mainrelaydefine.php

This is not difficult to replace--you can likely do it yourself.
    myhonda98 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 11:22 AM
    All of the lights are on for 2 seconds and then they go off. And I am getting fuel. But I don't know where the main relay is o hear it. I do have a clicking sound when I turn the key but my starter was checked and is fine.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 11:31 AM
    See my accompanying link. It is located under the dash, just to the left of the steering wheel. The clicking sound is the Main Relay. You could probably reach up and feel it click, as well. See if you can feel it click when the CEL goes out.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 11:34 AM
    I believe the problem is likely a bad igniter or coil. Igniters are especially notorious for failing on Hondas and many modern-day cars. Igniters are the analog to distributor points on older cars. They are an electrical switch (microchip) that allows the electrical field in the coil to build up and collapse many times each second. When this happens, 25,000+ volts is generated in the secondary circuit of the coil for firing the spark plugs.

Igniters are located inside the distributor and look like this:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...Control%20Unit

Igniters, main relays, and coils can fail intermittently. I would replace all of them and give your car a new lease on life.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Do you have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 honda accord don't start [ 161 Answers ]

I have a 1998 honda accord that don't won't to start all the time.   I have read that other honda owners are having this problem.  I have had a mechanic to look at the car and of course the car starts with him my husband is trying to figure this out.  I think I am going to contact the main Honda...

1998 Honda Accord LX - starter problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX that will not start - the engine will not turn over. This happened one time about 3 weeks ago and I was going to purchase a new starter (which I did about 3 years ago) but saw some information that it might be a main relay issue, but the car started every time I tried...

1998 Honda Accord CPU changed and will not start [ 2 Answers ]

When I changed the CPU, the car will crank over but will not start. The key light indicator flashes while cranking over. What do I need to do?

1998 honda Accord starter problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have the same problem with my 98 accord as was posted many months ago and wondered if anyone had solved their problem. I just tried to start the car and although the starter could be heard spinning, it didn't engage the ring gear and so the engine didn't turn over. I have removed the starter...

1998 honda accord won't start. [ 0 Answers ]

I need some help. My car ran out of gas two weeks ago and hasn't started since. I put more gas in the tank and when I tried to fire it up it wouldn't start. I thought that it might be the fuel system, e.g. fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, but after running some simple diagnostics, decided to...

View more questions Search