Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bestdancer9978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 02:49 PM
    Theft under 500
    I got a misdeamor citaion for theft under 500.I have no criminal record at all. I took 100 from a cash register at sears.I worked there.I got to book myself June 16.What is the worst that can happen to me?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 03:20 PM

Jail is the worst thing that can happen to you. Employee/employer theft is not taken lightly and Sears does not fool around.

Was that your question?
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 17, 2009, 10:31 PM

I was in retail security for 13 years and I have seldom seen a person in your circumstances get jail on the first offense. You will more likely get probation, community service and restitution if they did not recover the money at the time of arrest. I can guarantee you that the worst thing will be the problems in getting a job in the future. I assume you are an adult, if so, the record of conviction (assuming you are convicted) will stay with you for life unless there is some opportunity in the future to have it expunged, or your state has some kind of "probation before judgement" statute which allows you to plead guilty, complete a period of probation successfully, and not get a convition on your record. I hope you get a lawyer, ask him or her about that kind of stuff.
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2009, 05:38 AM

Agree because it is theft from employer it is treated very seriously you should have a lawyer. Let us know what happened.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimGunther View Post
    I was in retail security for 13 years and I have seldom seen a person in your circumstances get jail on the first offense. You will more likely get probation, community service and restitution if they did not recover the money at the time of arrest. I can guarantee you that the worst thing will be the problems in getting a job in the future. I assume you are an adult, if so, the record of conviction (assuming you are convicted) will stay with you for life unless there is some opportunity in the future to have it expunged, or your state has some kind of "probation before judgement" statute which allows you to plead guilty, complete a period of probation successfully, and not get a convition on your record. I hope you get a lawyer, ask him or her about that kinda stuff.

Did you work security for Sears which actually presses - and brings in big guns, at least in my area - to obtain a conviction when it's employee theft - ?

And then Sears makes sure EVERYONE who works there knows all the details.

Same with K-Mart now that they are "one," at least in my area.

Jun 18, 2009, 07:56 AM

I worked for May Department Stores (the Hecht Company) and K Mart for a total of 13 years. Both of these locations were in high crime areas and both employers had a policy to prosecute all employee theft and shoplifters who stole over a certain amount. When I became a Loss Prevention Manager I worked as part of a team that would go to stores having major loss problems and would focus on whatever problem they were having, mostly employee theft or grab and run situations.

Once I had to build an observation platform above a security office and looked down through an air vent in the ceiling to catch a security person stealing merchandise they had brought into the security office. I was up there for almost 10 hours.

In other words, we didn't bring in "big guns" to get a conviction because the person who saw the crime testified as to what they saw, and we had plenty of training in that area. We brought in the "big guns" to deal with major loss problems.

And for sure, when an employee got "busted", the word spread around real quick.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 04:35 PM

Trust me - I know K-Mart and its policies backwards and forwards.

So far I haven't come across any District Manager who recognizes your name.

And, yes, the "busted" employee gets a lot of publicity really quick.

The K-Marts (and District Managers) I know brought in big gun Attorneys - that's been my experience.

But, as you said (in your own words): “Every post, even the worst ones {sic} tell(s) you something about the person who posts it”

Jun 18, 2009, 05:59 PM
    I'm afraid you are mistaken, K Mart and other big retailers only bring in "big gun" attorneys in civil cases- such as false arrest lawsuits. The prosecutor is the big gun in a criminal case. Its been quite awhile since I worked for K Mart and it's a nationwide company, I don't think there is any value in trying to look for someone who knew me. Also, it would be too expensive and uncalled for to bring in a "big gun lawyer" each time an employee was prosecuted. I never saw it happen, even in my experience as a district court bailiff, where I observed plenty of criminal and civil cases.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 07:00 PM

Most likely you will of course have to repay all of the money they can prove you took. And then criminal charges will be made, I would guess if this is your first offense, it will be probation

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 year old charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery what will [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery for finding a debit card and buying 3 items in Bridgewater Commons Mall New Jersey that I believe came up to $300 I used credit and had to sigh the receipt I didn't use my name but the name on the card. I was brought to the police...

THEFT UNDER $5000 - second offence. (1st offence = theft from employer) [ 10 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. Living in british columbia, canada. Yesterday me and my friend were shoplifting at metrotown mall.. we were being followed around the mall because of our big purses and did not know it until we went into "old navy" where we saw a bunch of bathing suits and flip flops and jammed...

Theft 500 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the definition of theft 500 and is it a felony charge or misdimeander?

View more questions Search