Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Violet423 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Deceased Mother's 401K
    My mother passed away 2 months ago and what Im wondering about is her 401K. My oldest sister doesn't want to touch it just in case there is something they try to come after us for which I highly doubt but that's beyond the point. What my question is, Is there a statute of limitations how how long we have to take the money before whomever takes the money if unclaimed takes it? Thank you in advance for all the help!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 06:25 AM

I do not understand what you mean about "unclaimed" taking the funds - please clarify. Also - if your mother died 2 years ago the executor of her estate should have notified the 401(k) plan administrator by now. If that hasn't happened, you should do so ASAP.

Assuming that you and your sister have each inherited 50% of your mother's 401(k), the best option is to setup an "inherited IRA" and then roll your portion of the account into it. You can so this transfer tax free, and then it can continue to grow in value tax-deferred. This must be a direct rollover - you can not take a cash distribution from your mother's 401(k) and then put it into a traditional IRA. I suggest you talk with customer service at one of the major investment houses (Fidelity, Vanguard, T. Rowe price, Schwab, etc) to find out the details of the process.

The law on this changed back in 2006 - prior to that you would have been required to take a distribution and pay the taxes.

You can also take a withdrawal, but you would have to pay taxes on it, and then you will be required to continue to withdraw a minimum amount each year, even though you are not retirement age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased Mother's credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

My mother recently passed away and now the credit card companies are trying to collect approx $9,000 of debt from me. She lived alone and took care of her own finances. She was not frivolous or anything. The day she passed away she had about $450 in her checking account and approx $1,000 in...

Deceased mother's debt [ 1 Answers ]

I read on a surrogate's website that creditors going after a deceased person's debt can only make a claim against the estate no more than 9 months after the date of death. I really need to know if that is a law. I was also told by many creditors that if I send them a copy of the death certificate,...

Deceased Mother's Credit Cards [ 2 Answers ]

My Mother died May 18. This month, I returned her 2 credit card bills with copies of her death certificate, and asked the companies to close the accounts. This week, I got a letter from a law firm representing Citibank, and saying they are going to obtain a judgement against me for the debt. My...

Deceased mother's debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading that I am not responsible for the debt but any assets have to be used to pay for debt. My mother had had no will. Does the assets include the income tax return money and any money received from a state retirement plan? Also, do we have to contact creditors to tell them she is...

Tax on sale of deceased Mother's home [ 1 Answers ]

My Mom sold her house and three days later she died. I am an only child and sole heir. When I went to the closing I found she had put my name on the deed to the house with her as joint tenants after my Dad had passed away in 1998. I was given two checks for the sale price. One in my name...

View more questions Search