Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    animals103 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 08:36 PM
    Can I sue my father for child support
    I just found out who my father is and my mom never collected child support. I'm 26 now and I was wondering if we can go after any type of funds or back child support. My father is a multi-millionaire and has an amazingly successful career.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 08:38 PM

No you may not, you can put a claim on his estate when he dies.

Only your mother had a right to file for support ( to pay her for the money she spent on raising you)

But the time frame for her to file is long past. ** unless she had a order for him to pay and he never paid. Then some may not be outside the SOL, but that would be your mother to do.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 08:38 PM

You said your mother never collected, did she ever file?

Jun 14, 2009, 08:49 PM

No, she's an idiot... huh. LOL. How would I go about getting a DNA test?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 08:50 PM

As asked did your mother ever file for support? If she didn't then you are both out because YOU aren't entitled to any and SHE should have filled loooong ago. If she did get an order and he just didn't pay it then she can take him back to court for the arrears but if it wasn't ever ordered then he dosen't owe anything.
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 08:52 PM

Why do you want a DNA test? If he wants one and you want one then you two can just go get one done but a court will not order him to take one at this point because again that window has been long shut.

Jun 14, 2009, 08:54 PM

No, she never filed - like an idiot. I have no idea why she didn't.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 08:58 PM

There is nothing you can do at this point and time. Perhaps go and ask for some help

But since she did not file for child support, and only she could have filed, it is too late now for her to file.

And at this point no court will order a DNA test normally since there is no legal standing ( reason) for one. At his death you may go after one to prove your claim to the estate.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 08:58 PM

You said in your original question that you just found out who your father is... now you want a DNA test. Something's not jiving here. How did you find out who he is?

The point remains is that unless there was an order already, you cannot pursue it at this point.
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 08:59 PM

Well, the only thing left for you to do if and when he dies (I'm not wishing for his death) is to lay a claim on his estate. However, as I said he is not obligated to take a DNA test and a court will not order one. If you and he have a good relationship and you just want it done for the sake of doing it the two of you can go get it done. I wouldn't push it too much if he does not want to though because if all you are after is a stake on his estate he can put you in his will to get a single dollar (the way the lawyers and judges know it was deliberate) and again there will be nothing you can do about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My child father doesn't have to pay child support due to being disabled can [ 14 Answers ]

Can I get SSI for my child if the father don't have to pay child support due to being disabled? What all proof do I need to show when applying? How long does everything take?

Child support from unwilling father, uninvolved father [ 26 Answers ]

I am currently pregnant with my first child. The father is not involved. What rights does the baby have to collect child support from him? Is it ethical to force financial child support, when he does not want to be involved? Yet, he has said that he will provide support. He says that and then...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search