Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormy442 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 04:56 AM
    Can you convert a Natural Gas Hot water heater to Propane
    WE have a 12 year old Hot water tank that is brand new. Can it be converted to propane and if so how? This tank was donated to a project for a new home that burned down due to a fire so the house is all rebuilt but we got 2 hot water tanks. One N/G and another propane. We need both to work if possible.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 05:50 AM

Yes the tank can be converted. My suggestion is to contact a Propane dealer that does installations and have the tank converted.

Orifices have to be re-sized to compensate for the differences between Natural and Propane gases.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2009, 05:50 AM
    : A.O. SMITH WILL ONLY ALLOW THE CONVERSION OF GAS WATER HEATERS FROM LP GAS (PROPANE) TO
    NATURAL GAS. THE CONVERSION OF A GAS WATER HEATER FROM NATURAL GAS TO LP GAS (PROPANE) IS
    NOT ALLOWED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.. . I also checked the Rheem site, and on a page titled "Conversion Instructions-Natural Gas To LP Gas" found detailed instructions which included: NOTICE: The parts required to make this conversion are
    Supplied in a bag attached to the water heater. Should
    Your heater not have this bag attached to the water
    Heater, a replacement can be obtained. Simply contact
    The manufacturer at the address below and request a
    Replacement conversion kit..
    Having said that they do make conversion kits,(see image) check them out at; Google Image Result for http://www.a1poolparts.com/stores/a/A1PoolParts/catalog/hayconversion_thumb.jpg
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 02:43 PM

My son does gas work on both Natural and Propane gas.

It is a very common request to convert from Natural to Propane.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How convert Propane water heater into Natural Gas unit [ 7 Answers ]

How to convert an Propane water heater into Natural Gas? I have Whirlpool unit for LP. It has a regular valve with an adapter for LP. If I remove this adapter, will it then work? Is burner the same or needed to be replace? Is valve had to be replaced and will the thread be the same if IO reinstall ...

Convert propane hot water heater to natural gas [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if whirlpool makes a kit or can I just change orifice in unit?

Natural gas water heater to propane? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a 75 gal water heater. The propane gas guy said that it was natural gas even though it came from a church that was using propane. And they had it set up for propane. Is that a possibility? And is it safe?

Can I convert my propane water heater to natural gas or electric? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I convert my LP water heater to natural gas or electric?

Convert propane gas to the natural gas dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer in the basement that need to be used in propane gas but my current set up is through natural gas. I didn't realize until I try to dry the clothes but it was taking much much longer time... Is there any way that I can convert the natural gas? . Let me know Thanks

View more questions Search