Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Jan 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Chevy Corsica Won't Start
    A friend of mine has a Chevy Corsica,1990',4 cylinder,65,000 miles on it.he said it ran good night before but would not start the next day and still won't.Its getting fuel,cranks good and he said plugs are firing fine.He said the only thing he noticed was the idle pulled down when he switched rear defroster on.Any ideas on what it could be,I gave him several already but he is no mechanic.What could a novice check to find out what it is ?Its also been like -11 below where he lives if that helps.. And notice I'm saying HE... :D
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 10:30 AM

On older cars of this generation, many "crank but won't start situations" are solved by:

. Checking all underdash and underhood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Replacing Ignition Control Module (ICM):

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

. Replacing coil packs (2):

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

. Replacing spark plugs (ACDelco only).

. Spark plug wires.

ICMs are problematic components. Failing ICMs can still spark, but at the wrong time. He is long overdue to replace these basic ignition parts--usually 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.
    bobciii1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 08:30 AM
    It has been my experience with a cranking engine that won't start is to first see if it is getting gas at the carburetor...if not, the cheapest first fix attempt is a fuel filter and if that does not cure the ill, it is probably going to be the fuel pump, probably located in the gas tank itself, not an easy job, but doable. Make sure you completely empty the tank before working on it. If you are not mechanically inclined, your best bet is take it to a garage, the fix is not that expensive and the pump is about $65.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1977 Chevy Van will not start [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a 1977 chevy van that will not start. Battery is new, only a few months old. It ran fine a few weeks ago. It did sit without running for about a week when I attempted to start, it acts like it wants to but won't. The lights come on and the belts and fan turn but just won't kick...

1995 chevy cav. Won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I was driving my car and all of a sudden the car stopped and would not restart again almost as if there is no gas. What is the most likely problem

'84 chevy pickup will not start [ 3 Answers ]

When driving, my gauge read 18 volts. I pulled over and turned the truck off to check it out. I decided to try to make it home, and when I put the key in I got nothing. My lights and horn still work but everything that needs the ignition to be on does not. I've checked the fuses, fusable links, and...

Chevy G20 van won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My '82 Chevy G20 5.0L van won't start. I put in a new battery (probably not necessary) and the lights work, but nothing happens when I turn the key (the accessories won't work either: for example, the fan does not com on when I turn the key. Any ideas? I know that electrical problems can take...

1990 chevrolet corsica 3.1L keeps stalling [ 3 Answers ]

My 1990 chevrolet corsica 3.1L keeps on stalling. When the car first stalled I was driving to work and at the stop light it just shut down. I restarted it and it start but then when I put it in drive it stalled again and from then it wouldn't start. I had it towed to Midas and the next morning...

View more questions Search