Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larj87 Posts: 4, Reputation: -1

May 28, 2009, 08:12 AM
    Driving under Suspension while Suspended for DUI
    Ok... so I have two DUI's, currently under suspension for one of them, I have been through the ARD program and have everything finished that is required, along with this I have quit drinking altogether and life is pretty good. I got stuck the one day and drove myself to work and on the way home went through a regular checkpoint (they were just checking license, registration and insurance.) So I got nailed for driving under suspension, I am worried now because of 1) the violation of probation and 2) what is going to happen next, and if I am going to face going to jail. The cop was very nice and understands my circumstances but I am so freaked out! I went out that night and bought a bike and have resulted to walking and riding my bike ever since. PLEASE HELP!

May 28, 2009, 08:13 AM

Xtra info-he did not tow my car or arrest me, allowed me to have my dad (who is 81 years old) to come down and pick up my boyfriends car (boyfriend is currently overseas). I live in Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Larj87 View Post
    I am worried now because of 1) the violation of probation and 2) what is going to happen next, and if I am going to face going to jail.
    Hello L:

I'd be worried too. But, instead of asking people on the internet, I'd be hiring a good lawyer.

excon

May 29, 2009, 05:54 AM

I am just trying to find out if there is anyone who is going through or has gone through something similar, and I don't need a lawyer but thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 05:57 AM
    I don't need a lawyer but thank you.
    Hello again, L

You actually do, but it's fine with me.

excon

May 29, 2009, 06:01 AM

I actually don't, but again thank you. I have had two Dui cases and some other legal things already and have never gotten nor needed a lawyer before, they are a waste of time and money, and no matter what they say, anything that is going to happen is going to happen anyway. I've talked to several of my police friends now and everyone is insuring me not to worry about jail and that is all I cared about, they can fine me up and down, money is not an issue, they can suspend my license for longer and keep me on probation longer, no big deal
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 12:48 PM
    i actually don't, but again thank you. I have had two Dui cases and some other legal things already and have never gotten nor needed a lawyer before, they are a waste of time and money, and no matter what they say, anything that is going to happen is going to happen anyway. I've talked to several of my police friends now and everyone is insuring me not to worry about jail and that is all i cared about, they can fine me up and down, money is not an issue, they can suspend my license for longer and keep me on probation longer, no big deal
    So you've talked with several of your police friends. Would suggest you try talking to some of your attorney friends instead and find out what's really going to happen to you legal wise. I'd go with what the attorney says before I'd listen to your "friends".

You will find that your DUI history is going to take you very far in your upcoming court proceedings, very far indeed. The judge will definitely pay more attention to you due to those DUI's guaranteed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2009, 06:27 PM

This is more state specific, here if you were driving while suspended, your car would have been impounded and you arrested to bail out for that.

This is a probation violation, you you have had to report this to your PO, so did they revolk you yet ?

It will for sure extend the time your license is suspended by another year or 2 at least.

The probation violation will depend on judge, many around here it is 30 days in jail.

And sorry going to court without an attorney,? I have to laugh, no police officer would ever do that, since they know lawyers can get you off esp from DUI all the time
    redswrld2u Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2009, 05:35 AM

Hi Larj87, you know my son had 2 dui's after he graduated high school and got his license suspended. He didn't start his 18 month S.T.E.P.S program till a few years later anyway, he had like a month to go in steps and paid all his fines from that dui 8-9 yrs ago and was waiting to get his license. Anyway he had to drive to visalia to work. He ended up getting pulled over for speeding, 85 and the speed limit was 70 well they impounded his car and when he went to tulare court he plead no contest not knowing what the penalty was. That judge gave him 3 yrs probation 2,000 dollar fine, 10 days in jail, and he has to get one of those devises that you blow into to start your car and has to have it installed for a year. Even though he hasn't been in trouble for 8-9 yrs. And is a single dad of 2 toddlers so he had to work... anyway good luck with yours we live in California..
    BravoSix Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Jun 12, 2009, 09:43 AM
    I'm a police officer in northeast PA, and I can assure you that your "police friends" are wrong.

If you were stopped for driving on a DUI suspended license and were actually charged with it, then you are facing jail time. There is a mandatory minimum of 60 days in jail, increasing to 90 days for certain circumstances. You would not have been arrested at the scene, as Driving Under Suspension in Pennsylvania is only a summary offense and not one where you can be physically arrested (in most circumstances). The officer not towing your car was only him cutting you some slack.

However, if the officer showed some leniency and only cited you for driving under suspension (not DUI related), then you will LIKELY only be fined and lose your DL for another year (which, by the way, will continue to be a DUI-related suspension).

You can be sentenced to jail time by the District Judge for repeat offenses of Driving Under Suspension. The maximum penalty allowed is $1000 fine and/or 6 months in jail.
    kerkalloo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
    Hi I live in orange county ca and got 3 dui’s last convicted date was jan 2012 .I have a suspended license and this sat I went to pick up my car from a parking meter my girlfriend had left my car there.I got pulled over and was ticketed my court date is in July 2012 .can I get a restricted license after 6 months and am I going to get my car towed for 30days? And am I looking at for sure jail time?also do you know of a good orange county attorney and should I plead not guilty to delay time even though I was guilty?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First dui Violation of probation Driving w/suspended Lic [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live in central Florida, I was convicted for first DUI back in January and sentenced to a year probation, I couldn't work for 5 months, last week I was driving to work and got pulled because my tinted windows was to dark. I was sended to jail for driving with a Suspended License with $250...

Driving out of state on a suspended license [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Arizona and received a ticket for over-weight load while driving truck for my job. Employer said they would take care of fine and they attempted to contact court to take care of it but didn't get a response (I have a copy of the letter). I was on road most of the time and stupidly...

Driving with suspended license [ 12 Answers ]

Good Morning, Unfortunately, I was stopped while driving with no ins. And a suspended license. I'm not proud of this. I had to get a public defender and I have an upcoming court appearance. I spoke to him and he said that to help myself out, I should call the dmv and ask them how I can help the...

Driving on suspended [ 5 Answers ]

I was pulled over while driving on a suspended license, my 6th offense. I wasn't taken to jail that night because the only reason I was driving is because the person who was originally driving had a black out and it was snowing hard that night so I took over driving to get us home safe. Do you...

Driving on suspended license [ 3 Answers ]

I was charged with d.s.l. got my license straight then suspended again because I forgot about a ticket this is all in Georgia.got caught again for d.s.l. because I forgot about ticket and court date. Have not been to court on either one. What are possibilities and advice.

View more questions Search