Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1canuck2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 04:01 PM
    Kenmore Dishwasher won't start
    Hi,

I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher (model 665.1588) that will no longer start. Its roughly 4 years old.

The Cancel/Drain button starts the 2 minute drain cycle, so I know its getting power.
    The China/Gentle light is the only cycle light that lights up (but I can't start it either).

I have tried resetting the power breaker for 30 minutes to no avail.

I have checked the overfill float and it moves freely, if I pour water into the bottom it drains the water out properly when I press the Cnacel/Drain button.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 11, 2006, 06:18 PM
    It sounds like you *might* have a faulty timer.

By means, you said it DID pump down the water you poured in it, so that sugges to me that the pump does work.

Although the timer might work on some fuctions, contacts could be "burnt" or otherwise faulty on others.

I would also suspect a door switch, but if it pumps down and does the other funtions you listed, then it sounds like the door switch is fine.

Well, it could be one more thing... does the dishwasher fill with water on start?
    The timer will control this action, but if its sending voltage to the solenoid, yet the solenoid is not filling, the float switch will never make. Assuming that its not a timed fill.

Just make sure the timer is sending all the voltages out to the different componests as it should. And then as it does, make sure those components start.
    1canuck2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Well, its still not working "properly" but if I turn off the breaker for half an hour and turn it back on, the buttons all seem to work and it will complete a cycle properly. Then, the next time we go to use, it doesn't work again. Very frustrating.

Does this help shed some light on what could be the problem?
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 13, 2006, 04:37 PM
    If the manual is telling you to kick the breaker for 30 minutes, then that suggest to me its trying to reset something (perhaps a control board)

You may have a solid state timer, and computer control board in that dishwasher.
    They can be a little tougher to troubleshoot the old fashined mechanical timers, but it is possible.

These boards are normally not cheap, and I wouldn't want you to reaplce it only to find that's not the problem.

Normally when there is a board involved, the dishwasher will function until it finds a problem. Then it may complete the cycle and display an error, or stop all together.

Basically this will take line to line troubleshooting. You will need to locate a wiring diagram, then attept to turn it on, if it fails, then we must perform line to line troubleshooting to find out what the problem is.

If I had a wiring diagram I could help more, without that Im just taking stabs in the dark.
    blakelaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Same thing is happening to my dishwasher, 665.15879000
    I have looked around this site and seen other people fix problems with a reset. I am wondering how you resolved your problem, and if you know of a way to reset this model of dishwasher?

Thanks!

** amendment **

Actually, what is happening with our dishwasher is a little different. It will not start, but the cancel button will begin drain, and the "pots and pans" button will light, as well as the lights for a 2, 4, or 6 hour delay. That is all. Any suggestions?
    Swatantra Bitta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 05:29 AM

Our dishwasher will not start, but the cancel button will begin drain, and the "pots and pans" button will light, as well as the lights for a 2, 4, or 6 hour delay. That is all. Any suggestions?
    fred_byrne Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 10:29 AM
    The lock light is on, nothing else will work!

May 24, 2010, 10:33 AM

665-17602301 will not do anything. Lock light is on, can not get it to do nothing.

May 24, 2010, 10:40 AM

665-17602301 will not do anything. Lock light is on but is not locked. Can not get it to do nothing.
    kody2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2010, 01:40 AM
    Comment on blakelaw's post
    MY dishwasher is a kenmore also 4 years old same problem I was told they programed them to quit working after so many washes I'm inclined to believe it now guess that is why some is 4yrs old and some is 5 it depends on how often you use it as to
    Dishwasher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 12:32 PM
    To make the lock light go off hold the Air Dry or No Heat Dry for 10 seconds.

My Kenmore Elite 665.1647 won't turn start its cycle. The green light beside the Auto Mode button goes on for a minute or so when you press it, so the board is getting power, but it doesn't fill with water or anything. Very annoying. Any ideas?
    Dishwasher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 12:33 PM

Minus the word "turn" above.. that was a typo.
    Right now I'm seeing what happens when I cut the breaker for 30 minutes..
    williamsk1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 09:16 PM
    When I press the normal cycle on my kenmore the normal cycle light comes on and the not warm button lights up and is shortly followed by the lock light the lock light will stay on for about 20 sec. and then go off and this cycle keeps happening meenwhile the machine will not take in any water. This keeps happening... I have pressed the cancel/drain and it will drain
    jbrophy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2011, 05:20 AM
    So I have a Kenmore Quiet Guard 1 Portable dishwasher and spent hours last night reading these posts and trying to figure this out myself. I did all of the above, which I am sure work but I think when I cleaned my dishwasher out last week I must have lifted the "float" up, which is located on mine on the bottom of the dishwasher in the front right corner. It was lifted and as soon and I put it down this morning, ta da! It started working. Check out your FLOAT also.
    lakegrassy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
    My kenmore ultra model665 15819992 stk 15819 serial fk 3301114 my lock light stays on for ten seconds and no other lights are all off then it starts blinking tried to hold the no heat pad button for four seconds did not work please need advice.
    rockstarchef Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 11:54 AM
    I have a kenmore precition wash model number 58716102800 will not power up at all any advice thanks
    DelvingEye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2012, 09:23 AM
    @fred byrne, I had the same problem. Tried pushing all the buttons, to no avail. Finally, I turned off the circuit breaker and LEFT it off for a good hour, giving the control panel time to reset. After turning on the circuit breaker, dishwasher worked like a charm.

I have to do this now on a regular basis (my dishwasher is 8 years old), ever 5 wash cycles or so.

Sometimes, even after turning off the circuit breaker for an hour, the dishwasher won't work. Leave it alone for a day or two. Don't push ANY buttons. It should start after 48 hours -- if you can wait that long.

I did all the above and still do! Hope it works for you.
    garynlin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 06:48 AM
    my kenmore 165.13593K600 does absolutely nothing! Opened the door during wash cycle to add another dish and it will not run anymore! =( no lights light up at on the keyboard, any ideas as to what I did other than I killed it, it still has water in the bottom of it, like I said I just opened door to add more and poof! No more dishwasher! Please help with any ideas...
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2012, 07:24 PM
    Upload this file for instructions: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Whirlpool_Dishwasher.pdf

It is good for a few days only. Most likely you will need a meter to check it out. You might as well get used to using a meter if you want to fix anything as it is the most important instrument to learn.
    dirtkilla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 06:35 PM
    My Model 110 does the same thing, at times all lights work but Cancel and Start. Slamming the door seems to sometimes help, as does waiting... I've noticed it seems to work w/o issue when my house is cool, when it gets hot it doesn't always work.

A few Summer's ago I had to have Sears come out, the guy looked at the dishwasher, mentioned a common problem and switched out something on the board. I wish I had asked more questions.

That said, and reading the comments in this thread seems to me the solid state timer is a common culprit? I'm no electrician but I'd assume temperature could affect how it functions.

Now, where do I find a new timer and how do I swap it out?

Complete Model - Sears Kenmore Automatic Dishwasher 110.92291100

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher model #665.1703, Flashing light-won't start [ 118 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher. It will not start. The light above normal wash is flashing continuously. Any advice will be helpful. Our warranty ran out 9 days ago:rolleyes: Thank-you in advance:o

Kenmore Dishwasher Not Working At All [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Dishwasher Model #665 15779. It was working fine the other day and now it doesn't work at all. No lights in the display or anything either. I checked for power at the main connection and it is there. I opened up the front panel and checked the door switch and that appears to be...

Kenmore 665 Dishwasher [ 5 Answers ]

We have a Kenmore Model 665/15767000 dishwasher with the wash light flashing continuously. Unfortunately, we have misplaced the owner's manual and have no clue what to do. Can anyone enlighten us? Thanks!

Kenmore Elite Dishwasher Won't Start [ 3 Answers ]

My dishwasher had been working for more than three years. Suddenly, it will not start and the Quick Rinse light is flashing. All control panel buttons became inactive. The Model/Serial is 665.15959000. I am trying to reset the dishwasher or run diagnostic so I can find out which part need to be...

View more questions Search