Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    david22ramirez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Paternity test for father in a marriage
    Can I have the court who ordered me to pay child support to wife allow me to have a paternity test for children who might not be mine? The court said I was not granted that, but I've tried to pay for my own paternity test, but the mother in question won't grant me access to have test done.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 04:50 PM

Depends on where you live, a paternity test might not mean anything even if they weren't your biological children.

You are the legal father of the kids since they were born to the marriage and in many states, there is a statute of limitations to how long you have to challenge it.

A paternity test taken on your own is not admissible in court.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 05:17 PM

You need to say what state you are in because the law on the subject varies from state-to-state.

Stevetcg gave a good answer, above, by the way.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Depends on where you live, a paternity test might not mean anything even if they werent your biological children.

You are the legal father of the kids since they were born to the marriage and in many states, there is a statute of limitations to how long you have to challenge it.

A paternity test taken on your own is not admissible in court.
    Very well said.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 05:25 PM

Of course if youi want a DNA test, although it may not be admissible in court, just do it, when you get the children for visits or other times, you merely do a test.

But in many places you will be the legal father no matter what.
    david22ramirez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 06:23 PM
    I'm in Florida... There is a law called "disestablishment of paternity", but it doesn't state the statues of limitation...
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 06:21 AM

Assuming the FL court has jurisdiction (is FL where the child support order was filed?) there is no statute of limitations to vacate a paternity judgement.

Florida Domestic Relations Code Section 742.18 - Determination Of Parentage - Disestablishment of paternity or termination of child support obligation. - Florida Attorney Resources - Florida Laws

You should read through this link and follow the directions to petition for a change of support obligations according to this law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity test I am not the father [ 20 Answers ]

OK my son is 5 years of age and I am now going for a paternity test because of doubts that I've always had if I am not the father what happens to my child support payments and what happens to what I've paid I mean do I get any type of compensation

Does a paternity test give a father rights? [ 9 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old daughter and we had a paternity test when she was 2. I was told that having the paternity test wouldn't give him rights to her unless he took me to court to get them. He has never done this nor is his name on her birth certificate. I let him see her when he wants to which...

Big paternity mess legal father is not bio father [ 29 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I broke up I had a one night stand with my ex. Called my boyfriend the next morning and told him about it. Two months later I found out I was pregnant. We went to the dr. asked the probable conception date and we were sure we slept together that day, but it was always slightly...

Recent paternity test proves he's not the father but he has joint custody [ 3 Answers ]

OK my x boyfriend signed the borth certificate and the decleration of paternity but I just found out that he is not the father and he just took me to court to get jiont custody and he was granted that. He is very irresposible and he smokes drinks and his friends get in shoot outs with their...

Paternity... dna test proved I'm not father [ 2 Answers ]

Well this is definitely one of the most tragic things i have been through. Of course im not happy with the final results but i am in a downhill battle because of it. I found out after 4 1/2 years of paying child support that i am not the father of my child. I haven't seen the child in almost...

View more questions Search