Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwilbur9200 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Husband is always Hot no matter if it is winter or summer.
    My husband is always hot, doesn't matter what the temp is outside or inside he is always sweating and hot. Would anyone have any ideas what would be causing this? He is 45 and in good health but he does drink beer ( average 1-2 beers a day ). I was wondering if this could be the cause? I keep telling him that he needs a new thermostat lol.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jun 7, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Hi! jwilbur9200,

What your describing is a body function that is under the control of the hypothalamus, and your analogy of it being a thermostat is but one of its many duties, which include, but are not limited to:
    * Hunger
    * Moods
    * Sex drive
    * Sleep
    * Thirst
    * Body temperature
    * Release of hormones from many glands, especially the pituitary gland

Taken from:
    Hypothalamus and ANS
    The main function of the hypothalamus is homeostasis, or maintaining the body's status quo. Factors such as blood pressure, body temperature, fluid and electrolyte balance, and body weight are held to a precise value called the set-point. Although this set-point can migrate over time, from day to day it is remarkably fixed.

I wouldn't consider drinking a half a case of beer a week, excessive.
    If your husband is open to an experiment, he would have to stop for at least 60 days, to see if there is any change.
    Then the both of you would have a better assessment after that.

Also, for your perusal:
    She?s hot; he?s cold — battling body temperatures – Paging Dr. Gupta
    hypothalamus - Google Search
    TJ17 Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Jun 7, 2009, 07:43 PM

Tell him to go to the doctors and have his blood pressure checked, an lay off the alcohol for awhile, because it dehydrates the body.

Jun 8, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Hum, some of this makes sense as his sex drive is for sure off and thought it was me.. His moods are on and off, like he is going through the change lol. Hunger, he is has always been starving. Sleep, has been off due to what we thought was his schedule (works nights)he can fall asleep at a drop of a dime and sleep for hrs and hrs even after sleeping 8hrs. Thirst, he drinks a good amount of water daily about 5 bottles on an average.
    He is going to stop drinking beer to see what happens then go from there. His blood pressure is picture perfect and always has been so don't think pressure is a problem. Thanks so much, really appreciate the answer... :)
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    Hi! jwilbur9200,

What your describing is a body function that is under the control of the hypothalamus, and your analogy of it being a thermostat is but one of its many duties, which include, but are not limited to:
    * Hunger
    * Moods
    * Sex drive
    * Sleep
    * Thirst
    * Body temperature
    * Release of hormones from many glands, especially the pituitary gland

Taken from:
    Hypothalamus and ANS
    The main function of the hypothalamus is homeostasis, or maintaining the body's status quo. Factors such as blood pressure, body temperature, fluid and electrolyte balance, and body weight are held to a precise value called the set-point. Although this set-point can migrate over time, from day to day it is remarkably fixed.

I wouldn't consider drinking a half a case of beer a week, excessive.
    If your husband is open to an experiment, he would have to stop for at least 60 days, to see if there is any change.
    Then the both of you would have a better assessment after that.

Also, for your perusal:
    She?s hot; he?s cold — battling body temperatures – Paging Dr. Gupta
    hypothalamus - Google Search

Jun 8, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Hi! Jwilbur9200,

Your Welcome, and Thank You for the Rep! :)

It is admirable to know that your husband is taking a pro-active course in his health, I applaud him!
    With your reply, I feel I need to bring to your attention some other areas to look at.

I know working nights is tough, I've done it for 31 years, my sleep, and drive is off.
    The Hypothalamus controls your circadian rhythms,
    Do you know if he stops breathing while he sleeps?
    Does he snore?
    Theses are symptoms of Sleep Apnea.

Not to alarm, but Moods, Hunger, Thirst, are symptoms of both a Thyroid-ism, and Diabetes.
    See:
    Thyroid symptoms in men - Google Search
    Diabetes symptoms in men - Google Search

Has he ever had a blood test?
    He should see his Doctor, and ask or check if at least these have been run:
    *basic metabolic panel
    *glucose
    *cholesterol - LDL, HDL
    These last two screenings require fasting (or no food consumption) eight to twelve hours prior to the blood test.
    When he does see his Doctor, and you should go with him, tell the Doctor his symptoms so the Doctor can ask for tests related to them.

Jwilbur9200,
    I also applaud you, for being such a loving and caring wife. With patience, and your support, you'll have him back in the drivers seat!

Kind Regards,

KUXJ... aka Steve

Jun 8, 2009, 04:04 PM
    When husband gets home I am going to go over this with him and then will get back to you in the morning with more information. I want him to be the one that is actually answering, even though snoring I answer and thisis a yes he does, but I will explain more about when he does in the Morning. I did send reply once already,but it got somehow deleted.I will have to re type the entire reply,oh well it happens, plus I want jeff to answer some of these questions that I don't have the accurate answer for..
    See you in the morning have a great night.
    And Thanks a bunch once More The Wilbs Jeff & Sue:)

QUOTE=KUXJ;1784093]Hi! Jwilbur9200,

It is admirable to know that your husband is taking a pro-active course in his health, I applaud him!
    With your reply, I feel I need to bring to your attention some other areas to look at.

I know working nights is tough, I've done it for 31 years, my sleep, and drive is off.
    Does he snore?

Not to alarm, but Moods, Hunger, Thirst, are symptoms of both a Thyroid-ism, and Diabetes.
    See:

*basic metabolic panel
    *glucose
    *cholesterol - LDL, HDL
    These last two screenings require fasting (or no food consumption) eight to twelve hours prior to the blood test.
    When he does see his Doctor, and you should go with him, tell the Doctor his symptoms so the Doctor can ask for tests related to them.

Jwilbur9200,
    I also applaud you, for being such a loving and caring wife. With patience, and your support, you'll have him back in the drivers seat!

Kind Regards,

KUXJ... aka Steve[/QUOTE]

Jun 9, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Good Morning Steve :)
    Ok, we can start with the snoring issue. Yes he does snore but he only snores when he has more then 1 or 2 beers. My husband thinks I have fallen and bumped my head when I tell him that the only time he snores is when he will have more then one or two beers. Here is an ex: if we are having lets say a dinner party and he were to have 3 beers well this is a quarentee that I will not be sleeping as he will snore so loud that my neighbors could here him if the windows were open lol but true. I don't think he stops breathing while he is sleeping.
    Thirst, Jeff just said that he doesn't feel a need to drink water he does due first of all liking it and then for his health.
    Moods, well this is were he thinks I am crazy as he doesn't think his moods have changed and I beg to differ with him. Actually Steve it may help if I explain family dynamics. We have been married 26yrs actually on Friday is our 26th anniversary whowhohw. We have 3 children 26 G, 23 B, 21 G. Kids are all on there own and doing just fine. Jeff works for vertis communications ( management ) he is in a very high stressed position and the economy sure has made his life hell. Jeff just came off being on nights for a few months as he needed to clean house on nights so corp made him go nights ( we thought those days were long gone 10 yrs ago). I was a teacher but at this time am not working due to having to bring mother in law in for health reasons.. So back to Jeff's moods, we as a family have all seen a difference in his moods and it is for the worse. Jeff thinks I am crazy but I know that others have noticed as well. It is not to awful at this point the swings but this is why we are taking a pro active stride in his health as we don't want it to get any worse.
    Drive, again as I had mentioned prior that I thought his drive was off due to me and didn't think that working nights would have any influnence on his drive. I realize we aren't in our early 20's anymore and things change as you age but again just thought the interest in me had gone by the wayside and he just said NO WAY is this the case and he doesn't understand why either...
    Hunger, Jeff has always been a health eater and actually he has been really watching what and when he puts food in his body. He said he thinks if anything due to watching his calories that his want for food has decreased. He has even lost a few pounds in the past few months with watching his intake and also we walk ever day at least 2 miles sometimes 4-5 miles.
    Blood work, he has not been to the docs for a well check up ever. Jeff is one to always try to fix himself regarless of the situation, this is what lead us to this site.
    As far as you applauding me for being to pro active with his health I thank you for the complements. I said for better for worse and in our marriage we have always been very supportive of one another no matter what the sceniro is...
    Look forward to hearing back from you:)
    Have a great day,
    The Wilbs Jeff & Sue

Quote Originally Posted by jwilbur9200 View Post
    When husband gets home I am going to go over this with him and then will get back to you in the morning with more information. I want him to be the one that is actually answering, even though snoring I answer and thisis a yes he does, but I will explain more about when he does in the Morning. I did send reply once already,but it got somehow deleted.I will have to re type the entire reply,oh well it happens, plus I want jeff to answer some of these questions that I dont have the accurate answer for..
    See ya in the morning have a great night.

Does he snore?

See:

*basic metabolic panel
    *glucose
    *cholesterol - LDL, HDL

Jwilbur9200,

Kind Regards,

KUXJ...aka Steve
    [/QUOTE]

Jun 9, 2009, 05:31 AM
    I am sorry for the last post I was typing so fast I clicked submit prior to going back over the post and fixing mistakes lolololol.:mad: I really can spell lolololol
    Have a great one
    When husband gets home I am going to go over this with him and then will get back to you in the morning with more information. I want him to be the one that is actually answering, even though snoring I answer and thisis a yes he does, but I will explain more about when he does in the Morning. I did send reply once already,but it got somehow deleted.I will have to re type the entire reply,oh well it happens, plus I want jeff to answer some of these questions that I dont have the accurate answer for..
    See ya in the morning have a great night.

Does he snore?

See:

*basic metabolic panel
    *glucose
    *cholesterol - LDL, HDL

Jwilbur9200,

Kind Regards,

KUXJ...aka Steve
    [/QUOTE]

Jun 9, 2009, 03:21 PM
    And a “Good Evening” to you, Sue :)
    Congratulations to you, and Jeff on your 26 on the 26th.
    Sounds like a lottery ticket in there somewhere. ;)
    Kathy, and me reached 32, back on March 24th

After reading your reply, the paragraph about family dynamics, and blood work are very telling.

There was something familiar about Vertis so I took the liberty of googling it, and it must be fate. When I saw what Jeff's work involved I remembered where I had seen Vertis before.
    It was on a skid ticket of FSI's from RR Donnelley that we inserted where I used to work in (management) of production, at the local newspaper. I retired a week before T-day 2008.

If it's anything like news production I know exactly what Jeff is going through, just to mention a few... Production deadlines, personnel problems, equipment problems, shipping, and a big one... Upper management only cares about the bottom line, and doesn't care what problems your having. If you can't get the job done, then we'll find someone who can!
    Jeff, your in the front lines. Newspapers took a big hit in Ad revenue also.

You knew there was a problem, but couldn't see it, its called...

S t r e s s

In the last 26years You, and Jeff have...
    *Worked your careers
    *Created a home
    *Raised a wonderful family
    *Planned for retirement

And now, at the summer of your lives are looking at “he is in a very high stressed position and the economy sure has made his life hell”, and you, “I was a teacher but at this time am not working due to having to bring mother in law in for health reasons.. ”

Sue, I know your part also. My Dad, and Kathy's Mom and Dad Bless Their Souls, died from the big “C”, as my Dad liked to call it, and even with Hospice it was a tough road to travel. With my Mom I take care of driving her around, #1, and #4 son take care of her finances, #3 son takes care of the yard, and we all take care of the house. Kathy and me haven't had a “Real Vacation” in eleven years.

Boys are always taught not to cry, never let your guard down. Girls like to talk, and form relationships. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

Jeff,
    Listen to me! A little stress is a good thing it keeps us on our toes. But it can get out of hand, and you won't even know it! From what I'm hearing you sound like you're a pretty healthy guy, but I would also say you are mildly stressed out and if your not careful it'll go severe on you.

For you, and the good of your family... When you leave work, do just that, leave it there. It'll still be there when you return.

When a driver cuts you off give him an okay hand signal, it means “your an A**hole in Europe”

When you get home give Sue a BIG hug! Hugs help a lot! Smoochin's okay too!

Talk to your wife, about the most important or even mundane topics, remember She has feeling's too. Do not shut her out!

Help make dinner, Call your kids, work on a project, help with Mom, join a forum... well maybe not that! :eek:

And Please make that Doctor's appointment, explain to him what's going on, and at least get blood work done then you can take it from there.
    Do you fix anything at work before you know all the reasons?

Thank you for letting me rant, and I apologize for being blunt or brutal.

Links to understanding Stress:
    Recognizing Stress for Men
    The Most Complete Stress Reduction Basics Guide Available Online

Again, Congratulations and have a wonderful Anniversary!
    Our thoughts and prayers for your Mom.

Steve and Kathy

Jun 10, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Thanks for the congrats on our anniversary... Congrats to you and Kathy, now a days you don't hear of 32 years that you guys have shared that often and it is a crying shame. I was once told by my mom and Dad that a marriage is the hardest job you will ever have and couldn't agree with them more. It is so worth it in our eyes.
    Isn't it a small world, yes I guess we can also say faith had a part in this too. Jeff TOTALLY agrees with you about chalking a good portion of this to stress. Jeff said that I have no idea the amount of stress that he has been under in particular since the first of the year. I do understand somewhat, but not being in the business obviously don't understand all of it. Jeff is very good at sharing his work with me in which I am always more then willing to listen. The one thing that we just talked about is that his information sharing when it comes to work is not what it once was. Lots of times when he comes home he will say, "DONT ASK ME ABOUT WORK, I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT" so I leave it alone.
    By the way, Jeff said "you so nailed it" when describing the stress concerning his job and could tell you have been in the industry when reading. Actually, we use to or should I say Jeff use to work for Quad Graphics, for oh about 18yrs. These are his only 2 jobs since college and he is thinking that maybe he needs to go for 3... If only the economy was better cause he surely can't venture out at this stage of the game, we are thankful he still has a job. Huge turnover at the plant in the last 9-12 months and some not hiring back just doing away with position entirely. This is part of why stress level is a tad bit high. With eliminating positions he of course has taken on a much heaver load, more hrs and less pay of course.. At least Corp did the pay cutting from the top down 18% in Oct? Then March, no vacation, no 401k etc, but we still have a job... Jeff is making a appointment in the am, so we will see what story his blood work will tell us. We both Thank you so much for your time isn't the interent just a wonderful tool?
    Again, Thanks so very much
    Jeff and Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    And a “Good Evening” to you, Sue :)
    Congratulations to you, and Jeff on your 26 on the 26th.
    Sounds like a lottery ticket in there somewhere. ;)
    Kathy, and me reached 32, back on March 24th

After reading your reply, the paragraph about family dynamics, and blood work are very telling.

There was something familiar about Vertis so I took the liberty of googling it, and it must be fate. When I saw what Jeff's work involved I remembered where I had seen Vertis before.
    It was on a skid ticket of FSI's from RR Donnelley that we inserted where I used to work in (management) of production, at the local newspaper. I retired a week before T-day 2008.

If it's anything like news production I know exactly what Jeff is going through, just to mention a few....Production deadlines, personnel problems, equipment problems, shipping, and a big one...Upper management only cares about the bottom line, and doesn't care what problems your having. If you can't get the job done, then we'll find someone who can!
    Jeff, your in the front lines. Newspapers took a big hit in Ad revenue also.

You knew there was a problem, but couldn't see it, its called....................

S t r e s s

In the last 26years You, and Jeff have....
    *Worked your careers
    *Created a home
    *Raised a wonderful family
    *Planned for retirement

And now, at the summer of your lives are looking at “he is in a very high stressed position and the economy sure has made his life hell”, and you, “I was a teacher but at this time am not working due to having to bring mother in law in for health reasons..”

Sue, I know your part also. My Dad, and Kathy's Mom and Dad Bless Their Souls, died from the big “C”, as my Dad liked to call it, and even with Hospice it was a tough road to travel. With my Mom I take care of driving her around, #1, and #4 son take care of her finances, #3 son takes care of the yard, and we all take care of the house. Kathy and me haven't had a “Real Vacation” in eleven years.

Boys are always taught not to cry, never let your guard down. Girls like to talk, and form relationships. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

Jeff,
    listen to me! A little stress is a good thing it keeps us on our toes. But it can get out of hand, and you won't even know it! From what I'm hearing you sound like your a pretty healthy guy, but I would also say you are mildly stressed out and if your not careful it'll go severe on you.

For you, and the good of your family.....When you leave work, do just that, leave it there. It'll still be there when you return.

When a driver cuts you off give him an okay hand signal, it means “your an A**hole in Europe”

When you get home give Sue a BIG hug! Hugs help a lot! Smoochin's okay too!

Talk to your wife, about the most important or even mundane topics, remember She has feeling's too. Do not shut her out!

Help make dinner, Call your kids, work on a project, help with Mom, join a forum....well maybe not that! :eek:

And Please make that Doctor's appointment, explain to him what's going on, and at least get blood work done then you can take it from there.
    Do you fix anything at work before you know all the reasons?

Thank you for letting me rant, and I apologize for being blunt or brutal.

Links to understanding Stress:
    Recognizing Stress for Men
    The Most Complete Stress Reduction Basics Guide Available Online

Again, Congratulations and have a wonderful Anniversary!
    Our thoughts and prayers for your Mom.

Steve and Kathy

Jun 10, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Whewww, for a while there, I thought I had lost new friends.

I read your reply yesterday, 'bout 11am, and then thought long and hard on how I wanted to respond.

I decided to take the “Tough Love” approach because eleven years ago I was the same age as Jeff, and had suffered an anxiety attack at work, that mimicked a heart attack. It didn't knock me out, but I did “zone out” for about 15”.
    I could hear and see everything around me, but wouldn't respond to anyone, and had a complete calmness about myself.

Jeff I can see it coming for you also, and if you don't make some changes, you'll be like that guy on the TV ad goin'... I'm only 52, I never thought I'd get a heart attack. You don't have to have high cholesterol readings to have one.

:DJust wait, when you need to go for a colonoscopy :eek: write me, I can tell you all about it, don't hurt a bit.

The only cure for stress I have found, is my retirement, and I haven't looked back.

Thanks for the congrats on our anniversary...Congrats to you and Kathy, now a days you dont hear of 32 years that you guys have shared that often and it is a crying shame. I was once told by my mom and Dad that a marriage is the hardest job you will ever have and couldnt agree with them more. It is so worth it in our eyes.
    Thank You, Yes We agree. Its not always 50/50, sometimes your Life's Partner needs all 100%
    Isnt it a small world, yes I guess we can also say faith had a part in this too. Jeff TOTALLY agrees with you about chalking a good portion of this to stress. Jeff said that I have no idea the amount of stress that he has been under in particular since the first of the year. I do understand somewhat, but not being in the business obviously dont understand all of it. Jeff is very good at sharing his work with me in which I am always more then willing to listen. The one thing that we just talked about is that his information sharing when it comes to work is not what it once was. Lots of times when he comes home he will say, "DONT ASK ME ABOUT WORK, I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT" so I leave it alone.
    I know, I know. That's exactly where Kathy and me were. When I would tell Kathy 'bout work, it turned into a shouting match between myself, and work. When I 'd see Kathy wince, I knew it was too late.
    One thing I changed at work was how this “younger generation” would manipulate co-workers into getting them to do their work. They were better at doing that than the actual job. It took a while, but once “everyone” was pulling in the same direction, it allowed me to go, and put out other fires.

By the way, Jeff said "you so nailed it" when describing the stress concerning his job and could tell you have been in the industry when reading. Actually, we use to or should I say Jeff use to work for Quad Graphics, for oh about 18yrs. These are his only 2 jobs since college and he is thinking that maybe he needs to go for 3...
    What! No Valassis? Valassis I was with the paper for 33 years, been in charge one shape or other for 32 and 10months.

If only the economy was better cause he surely can't venture out at this stage of the game, we are thankful he still has a job. Huge turnover at the plant in the last 9-12 months and some not hiring back just doing away with position entirely.
    Now a days, If a Company doesn't have a web presence to go to, their fighting a losing battle. You say Jeff has a college degree? You're a teacher? Maybe he and you can shine 'em up, and go for it elsewhere. If Mom's up to it she can do the pop quizzes.

This is part of why stress level is a tad bit high. With eliminating positions he of course has taken on a much heaver load, more hrs and less pay of course.. Atleast Corp did the pay cutting from the top down 18% in Oct? then March, no vacation, no 401k etc, but we still have a job...
    That's just outrageous! I'll bet they even cut the company picnic!

Jeff is making a appointment in the am, so we will see what story his blood work will tell us. We both Thank you so much for your time isnt the interent just a wonderful tool?
    Again, Thanks so very much
    Jeff and Sue
    Jeff... Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, and Sue if you want to PM me go right ahead!
    santiix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 11:16 AM
    This was definitely good reading.. Now funny enough I am younger than both of you, yet seam to have gone through a lot of what you have posted.

I had a panic attack a few months back and went to the urgent care, found blood pressure at 170/110 and I am 36.. Yet this is definite not the root of my anxiety and heat issues.

I work in an office where the temp is at 69 degrees and I find I start seating just sitting in my chair and have to turn on a small fan... I walk out for a moment outside and am drenched in sweat..

I have had my blood checked, ekg, etc.. With nothing except the time of the attack when I had the blood pressure issue, yet we think the anxiety caused the rise in the BP.

I stopped drinking over 3 months ago and still have the same symptoms with no change.

I read what you said about the hypothalamus and it is interesting, most of what you posted applies to me in regards to the drive, etc.. Funny I started sweating just typing this..

Anyhow I found to control the perspiration I used certain dri on my head, I shave my head since hair makes me perspire more.

Breathing slow helps but I still don't understand why I have to have everything so cold.. my wife is freezing at night just so I can sleep and not perspire all night.

Anyhow that's my rant for now ;-) I am still trying to see if I convince myself to get my hypothalamus checked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Combination Summer winter hookup [ 1 Answers ]

I know I am an electrician asking a plumbing question... :confused: let the jokes fly... :p But after doing several new homes in the Lehigh Valley area, I have noticed that anyone getting an oil fired hydronic heating system often gets a electric water heater and they are hooked together. My...

Summer/winter hook up [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an industrial electrician/maintenance man but I know nothing about home furnaces. I just bought a house and I have an old GM Delco Heat oil furnaces (model #DB645DWN).Is there anything I have to do in the winter with the unit, any valves I have to open or close?

My upstairs is freezing in winter and hot in summer [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a bugalow home in Michigan and in the summer my upstairs in much warmer than the rest of my house, I have to run a window air conditioner to keep it cool and in the winter it is much colder than the rest of the house I have to run an electric heater. My question is should I insulate...

Climate between summer and winter months [ 2 Answers ]

Which of the following destinations would experience the greatest difference in temperatures between summer and winter months? Is it nassau,bahamas or anchorage,Alaska or calcutta,india or philadelphia,Pennsylvania

Winter/Summer fan revolution [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a condo and there are Hampton Bay ceiling fans in every room. Of course, there are no owner's manuals. Which position does the switch have to be in for updraft and or downdraft. I can't tell just by standing beneath it. Thanks

View more questions Search