Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerryp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 06:06 AM
    Mixet shower valve installation
    Hello, I replaced the mixet 4 1/2" stem valve ,Its not wanting to work properly and in the instructions it says the "red dot" goes "up".. The replacement kit I got from home depot didn't have a red dot to be found or a small chennel in the brass. Any ideas on how to go about making sure the stem is correctly installed ? Thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 06:18 AM
    We're talking about a Moen Cartridge, Right? Back to you, Tom
    jerryp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    We're talking about a Moen Cartridge, Right? Back to you, Tom
    It is a MXT 07 Post-1968 stem 0em# MS5AT PK If that helps.. ty
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 12:19 PM
    What's the brand name on the faucet? Regards, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Hi Tom...

Mixet is the name of the valve... not common, but I've heard of it a few times.

The cartridge should look something like the image below... best advice I can give you Jerry is to install it and if it doesn't work try to rotate the cartridge 180 degrees and try it again.

If that fails, then you may have the wrong cartridge assembly. Bring the old cartridge to another home depot and see what they think. Otherwise, call mixet and see if you can get them to help directly. They have other stems available for older models, too.

Let us know what you think...

MARK
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 01:51 PM

Hi Jerry,

Mark have given you good info, I will also add the following link and images it may help too, good luck.

John

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/mixet.html
    Attached Images

DIY-007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2013, 12:15 PM
    I bought the same part that you are talking about and did not work properly; it seems that it has a slight difference from the original “Mixet” part. Anyway, I returned the part to Lowe’s (by the way I saw that the same thing is more economical at Home Depot), and opted to just change the rubber “seat” and screw in the end of the old original stem, reinstalled it, and now it is working fine. The revised cost of this reparation was only cents, and –of course—who does not want to save some money in maintenance?

Hope that this helps.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 13, 2013, 07:27 AM
    DIY-007.. You are posting on top of 4 years old post...

To Mark and Tom: MIXETs were Tub & Shower faucets commonly used in commercial applications on the West Coast, mostly in apartment buildings. Very slow and graduate transition from cold to hot makes it suitable for such applications. They are also forerunner of today's single handle faucets.

Anyway, there are 2 types of Mixet cartridges: short one and long one. First, you should find out which one you have. Short ones are used in older type Mixet faucets, long ones are used in newer ones. From my experience, most of the stems we replace are short (old) ones.

MIXET stems are very easy to install. Just remove old one and insert new one. Nothing to adjust. I suggest you remove the cartridge and reinstall it. Don't force anything, just gently insert it and tighten up with the chrome sleeve.

Hope that helps. Back to you. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Leaking Mixet Shower Faucet Handle [ 17 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a leaking Mixet shower faucet. I've somewhat successfully removed the knob by breaking it off. Now I cannot remove the mixing handle/lever. The new one I purchased has a set screw. The original one does not yet it will not budge off the stem so I can get at the hex nut to...

Mixet shower handle/cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a leak in my shower and replaced the Mixet cartridge which seemingly fixed the problem, but now the dial/handle seems unresponsive and isn't opening or shutting the valve. I can open it and close it by turning the handle screw with a screw driver, but that doesn't seem like a good...

Valve installation on alcove 32x32 shower stall [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a Lasco 32x32 shower stall to be installed in an alcove. When I slide the unit into the alcove, the valve that was roughed in, gets in the way of the shower unit. The shower backs up to a wash/dryer so I could put an access panel to reach the shower valve but I would then be seeing the...

Moen tub/shower valve installation [ 3 Answers ]

We just had a contractor install a Moen valve in our bathroom remodel. It is a M-Pact common valve system and the model number is T2449pm. When I fill the bathtub with the bathtub spout water is dripping from the shower head. What are the possible reasons for this. I had one plumber come out...

3 valve shower diverter installation [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased and installed a new diverter for my 3 valve shower setup. However, when I turn the diverter to shower I get very little water pressure to the shower head and no water coming from the faucet. Is there any trick to properly installing the new diverter to allow for full water flow...

View more questions Search