Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tc4all Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 12:44 PM
    How do I stop a leaking threaded connection
    The connection going from my water meter into my regular water pipe is leaking. It is a threaded and collared connection and it uses a washer. It is new as I had to replace the pipes and pressure regulator yesterday. All of my soldered connections and all others are fine, but this one connection won't stop dripping. I have tried with and without tape. I have tried with 1 and with 2 washers. I have even tried cutting my own washer out of washer material. How can I stop the dripping?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 4, 2009, 01:11 PM

The meter on one side and brass nipple with union nut + washer on the other side are either NOT ALIGNED or NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL, or new pipe is a bit short disallowing the union to bring both meter and pipe together. Call your plumber back to tighten it up for you.

When tightening use 2 large wrenches: one on the meter, the other one on the union.

Jun 4, 2009, 01:35 PM

It is just the same type of connection as there is outside when connecting a hose to the house faucet. Just this is pipe to pipe vs pipe to hose. Are you saying that a tiny misalignment is causing the leak no matter how tight the connection is? I tried two wrenches and it is very tight.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 5, 2009, 04:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tc4all View Post
    It is just the same type of connection as there is outside when connecting a hose to the house faucet. Just this is pipe to pipe vs pipe to hose. Are you saying that a tiny misalignment is causing the leak no matter how tight the connection is? I tried two wrenches and it is very tight.
    That's what Milo's telling you. This is a union connection.(see image) an d if the two aren't in alignment it's going to leak no matter how tight you crank it down. Recheck the position of the meter in relation to the fitting. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 07:02 AM

Sometimes it is "two man job" to connect main line and water meter. One guy has craw bar and keeps positioning meter while the other one is trying to attach brass union to the meter. (Tom's photo)

You have to pay attention to this detail when installing new line. That's because it is very hard to work in confined space and with no play on either side.

Is the meter and the new pipe close together ? Take a photo of it and post it so we can see what you are doing. Thank you.

Jun 5, 2009, 03:02 PM
    OK, nobody had a 3/4 with sweat fitting to a 1/2 female threaded brass elbow, which is what was on there before, so I was sold an adapter and a 3/4 inch elbow. That put the down pipe out a tiny bit further then it should be and, I would think, might make the angle off, despite the threading being tight at the meter. Here is a photo showing the adapters which don't leak, but the twist lock right before the meter is what is leaking.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 07:31 PM

Thank you for posting the photo...
    Question: Can you move that copper pipe or it has no movement at all?

Looking at the photo, it appears to me that meter is lower than the 90 Ell. So that would mean that the vertical copper pipe is little too short, throwing your angle off. As result, you cannot get good seal in the union.

Also, I can see unused threads on the meter. Usually, when you tighten the union no threads are visible...

I don't know how far up the pipe goes but see if you can push it down a bit, maybe 1".

Jun 7, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Actually the angle of the pipe leading to the meter is right. It is the down pipe, leading to the elbow, that is not correct. The distance from the elbow to the meter is usually only the length of the connection fitting, about 2.5 inches. Because nobody had the right elbow, I was sold a set up which included the elbow, the reducer, and the connection fitting. This made that horizontal fitting between the meter and the elbow, too long, so the vertical pipe is not straight up and down, it is angled to the left, away from the meter, a bit. I am sure that puts stress on those connection fittings. I will try some loosening of the vertical pipe where it is attached to the ceiling. Also, I have gotten the leak to be much slower by tightening the connection more. I am afraid to tighten it too much.
    As for the threads sticking out, I have two small washers in there. That, together are slightly thicker then the one washer that was in there. That previous washer really let it leak. This is much better, but I can go to 1 thin washer if further tightening won't help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Line the threads up, put back the original gasket and crank that sucker down. Good luck, Tom

Jun 7, 2009, 12:40 PM
    This is so aggravating. The soldering which everyone warned me about was a snap. One screw fitting and it has been a 3 days affair. I straightened out the angle on the pipes. I replaced the washer and I am still leaking. I have tightened so tightly that I have destroyed rubber washers. One question, what type of washer should that be? The plumbing supply place, not open today, sold me the meter connector with a rubber washer. When I look at the connector side of the old connector (not the one I am using now) , meaning not the meter side, there is stuff stuck to it, like fiber or paper or something. Maybe I have the wrong type of washer?
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 12:43 PM

Does the meter have any movement ?

Jun 8, 2009, 09:54 AM

If you are asking if I can move the meter itself, right now I can, but I have had it so tight that it would not move at all and still it dripped.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 10:05 AM

Loosen the union, put craw-bar under opposite side of the meter and easily push the other side up. It will compensate for the misalignment that on the leaky side of the meter. See the sketch...
    Attached Images

Jun 11, 2009, 01:21 PM
    That just made the connection to the meter on the left, spray water. I am starting to think the connector is defective, though I can't understand how that would make a difference. I got a new washer from the local plumbing supply store and tried tightening at all levels. But it leaked the same rate no matter what. I only have 2 options, replace the fitting, or get a fiber board to make and try a fiber washer.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 01:27 PM

Ok, let's do it the RIGHT way:

1. Turn water off
    2. Disconnect and remove the new union-to-meter connection
    3. Cut vertical copper pipe 24" above the drop 90 Ell
    4. Reinstall the brass union with washer into the meter with drop 90 Ell and the vertical piece of copper pipe attached to it
    5. Install copper coupling ( w/o stops ) and solder
    6. Turn water back on

Done in 10 minutes / No more endless posts on this subject

Good luck... Milo

Jun 12, 2009, 08:58 AM

The washer seems to have settled in (maybe) and the leaking has dropped to a very minimal amount.
    Anyway, sorry but I can't find how to leave positive feedback. Aim me and I'll do that.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 09:08 AM

You can leave feedback by clicking on "Rate This Answer". (orange box under individual post ). Then, proceed with feedback as you wish...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPVC threaded coupling to Brass nipple is leaking [ 5 Answers ]

I just installed a new sink in my garage using CPVC for the plumbing run. Never used CPVC before. Where I came through the wall, I used a CPVC female threaded fitting with ears on it to fasten to the wall stud. I then screwed a 4" brass nipple to it with teflon tape and attached the valve to the...

New shower valve has threaded unions, old one has non-threaded soldered supply lines [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new bath/shower two handle 8" spaced valve unit. It has threaded supply unions, but the supply lines are not threaded. What do I need to convert the lines? Can I install stop valve and flexible lines to the threaded valve body hot/cold connections?

Leaking threaded pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I can use to stop a leak at a threaded nipple pipe? Its on the mainfold of my boiler, and of course, it's the most inner pipe on the return line of a multi-zone manifold. I don't want to disassemble the whole manifold if I don't have to. The pipe is about 6" long on the...

Leaking connection [ 9 Answers ]

Greetining, After some bathroom remodelling, I reinstalled a pedistal bathroom sink. I used copper tubing to connect the supply to the faucet. However the connections from the tube to the faucet keeps leeking. What am I doing wrong? Dan

View more questions Search