Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casper1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 11:23 PM
    Does a father have more rights to a child than the child's aunt who has guardianship?
    I just found out that I am the father of a 4 year old girl. The child has been living with her grandma (On the mothers side of course) for the last 3 years but when the grandma died about 6 months ago the child's aunt got the child. The mother rarely sees her and when she does its not more than a weekend and she is in the process of signing over her guardianship rights to her sister (the child's aunt). Now that I have found out I am the father I am trying to be in my child's life 24/7 but the aunt is making it very difficult for me. I am going to file an establishment of paternity in the next few days and I am really wanting to get custody of her (after she really gets to know me) I know that I can provide a better life for her than the aunt can. I am wondering how much of a chance I have of getting custody since it has been 4 years and the aunt really wants custody. And I know that the mother, once she finds out that I want custody is going to all of a sudden want to have custody too. Does the father have more rights than the aunt or is there a chance that the aunt could take custody?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 04:11 AM

Yes, a father has more rights than an aunt... but that might not matter for a while. The court's decision will be based on what is best for the child and change is rarely best.

You are smart for approaching it in the "after she gets to know me" way.

This WILL be a court battle so I would save some money and get yourself a good lawyer. You should ultimately win out over anyone but the bio mother... but its not a fast process or a slam dunk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Revoke rights of father and change child's last name in Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

I had a son over 6 yrs. Ago. His father was an illegal alien and we were together at the child's birth. 61 months ago he left and has not contributed to his sons life at all. He called a few times in the first couple of years and the area code was Ft Worth, Tx. I have not heard from him in 2 or...

Can father of my unborn child receive custody or visitation rights after child is bor [ 5 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the babies father is going after custody or visitation when the child is born. He is very abusive and does have a violent record from the past. He is been making many threats towards me and my unborn child. He has even stated that once he has the child in his hands he stated that...

Changing a child's last name that you have guardianship of [ 2 Answers ]

We have had legal custody of a child for over 8 yrs and we would like to change her last name. The custody order took place in Alabama and we currently live in TN. How do we do this?

What are the legal rights of a biological aunt to a child that has been abandoned? [ 5 Answers ]

My mom has been taking care of a child that's not hers and needs to know the writes of a biological aunt.

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search