Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ardob11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2005, 04:54 PM
    Civic '89 fires up and dies down after 2 sec
    Hi,

I have Hona Civic '89. I had intermittent start up problems on hot weather recently so I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and coil (I think this was the fault) and it worked fine after that. After about three week of good starts now it will fire and engine turn but then dies down after a second or two. I have tried replacing the main relay but no good. Weather doesn't matter either.
    A friend told me that it could be the ignition key!?

I would appreciate your help.
    Arianit
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Oct 30, 2005, 03:58 PM
    Are you getting any error codes? Did you just buy another used Main Relay, or tried resoldering your relay? Buying another USED main relay does no good, since the joints on your "new" relay might be as bad or even worse than your original relay.

Oct 30, 2005, 08:25 PM
    The relay was brand new. I bought it while trying to fix the first problem a few weeks earlier.

Arianit
    slivertea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2005, 12:08 AM
    Re
    Your friend might actually be correct about the ignition. My 90 did a similar thing a year ago and the problem turned out to be the ignition switch not fully closing the circuit *a honda tech told me this was a fairly common issue after years of wear on these older switches*. So you might want to try that, or at least test the switch out. Only downside to it is they're like $80 =(.

Nov 19, 2005, 10:29 AM
    I fixed the problem
    It wasn't actually the switch but a 10 in cable that connects the switch to some other cable down the line. Btw, you can surpass the switch by firing the car directly through a plastic thingy that goes into the metal part and see if that's the problem or is it the cable.
    You will know when these two problems appear because they usually don't die out immediately but they'll give you some trouble first. You'll notice that if you keep the key turned to the on position with your hand, the car will stay on and you can park it or whatever. This is a clear indicator that problem is in the ignition switch or in that cable following it.
    pattid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 09:17 AM

1998 Honda Accord dies while driving down the road. At first it was about once a week, now it does it 5 times in a row and eventually refuses to run. Husband replace main relay. What could be causing this?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 09:23 AM

pattid, have your husband replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

This should restore the reliability and performance to your Accord. These are the two most problematic components on Hondas of this generation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorced But Together: What If One Dies? [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced but we are together as a couple and have been since shortly after the divorce was final back in 1994. Question, we own a house jointly and my husband has a 401K and we both have life insurance policies naming each other as beneficiaries. If one of us is to die, and being that we...

92 Honda Accord Dies at stop lights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I Have a 92 Honda Accord Automatic that is having problems. For the last couple weeks it seems to be idleing low when you are at a stop light or stop sign like in the 500 range. Well the other day at stop it died and about 20 minutes later it started again. Well 2 days after that it did the...

'95 Honda del Sol engine dies at high speeds [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone. My girlfriend's '95 del Sol dies at highway speeds. The engine just stops, rpm drops to zero. The car starts up fine afterwards, but after a few minutes of driving, it dies again. We had to get it towed home (140 dollars!! AHH! ). Now she's too scared to drive it anywhere too...

93 Dodge B250 van dies [ 1 Answers ]

My van runs perfectly, then without any rhyme nor reason it will die. When this happens, I pull over, turn off the ignition and then turn it back to run. If the check engine light comes on it will start and run perfectly again, if it does not come on, then I must turn it off again and wait....

View more questions Search