Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nascaral Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Murray 42" lawn tractor drive belt keeps coming off
    My Murray 42" lawn tractor started throwing off the drive belt. I replaced it and it was better for a short time. Now it's throwing the belt off again and also having trouble going into reverse. Sometimes it won't. If I go back to a forward speed and then back to reverse it usaully will engage reverse. It also starded getting real herky jerky when in gear, like it was engaging and disengaging,and some of the six speeds don't seem to be engaging. Is this a clutch/brake rod adjustment or is the tranny going? I did see what appears to be a threaded adjustment piece on the clutch/brake rod linkage. It's a 2001 model but kept in a shed, and although not nearly new it runs great and cuts excellent. Any ideas before I start tearing it down? Thanks for any help!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 08:04 AM

Are you 100% sure that you are using an OEM belt specifically listed for your tractor. You might get a downloaded manual from Owner's Manual | Find Product User Manuals - Managemyhome.com Check the pulleys to insure they are tight and do not wobble. Yes there is adjustment on the clutch/brake but lets be sure we have the correct belt and we'll go from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Lawn Tractor problems with belt replacement [ 4 Answers ]

I was wonder if I need to remove a part to replace the belt on my Murray Lawn Tractor. The model number is 42515X92B or the part number is 37X88. Thanks for help in advance

Change drive belt on mtd tractor "husky tractor" [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Any one know an easy way to change belt? And how to loosen pully bolt in bottom of motor?

Diagram for Drive Belt on a 42" murray riding lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drive belt for my Murray 42" twin /c 17 hp. Model # 42505X42A (I think, it was hard to read). What I need is a diagram to replace it.

2003 murray lawn tractor deck belt won't stay on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Murray Lawn Tractor, model #425007x92c. Whenever I engage the blades, the belt gets looser, and when they're disengaged it is tighter. It's a new belt and I know that it's the right one. I followed the diagram to put it on. What else could be causing the belt to not fit right? ...

Murray Lawn Mower and changing drive belt [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to "easily" change/replace the drive belt on a Murray Lawn Tractor? Model # 425003X8 Thankx!

View more questions Search